1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Grade the Picks Thread

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by 08SteelCurtain, Apr 27, 2018.

1. 08SteelCurtain

08SteelCurtain Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2015
    So obviously this is going to be ongoing. Give your grades for each pick, or sum it up. I'll add descriptions to my grades, but so far:

1. Terrell Edmunds - B+

Only reason this isn't an A: they could have traded back another 5-10 picks for him.
    The reason is because he's the answer to two positions; he can beef up and play some ILB, sometimes even out of sub packages. He can absolutely play SS, and you could, I suppose, survive with him at FS. He's an enormusly good athlete with good leadership traits and will kill on special teams. This also makes JJ Wilcox expendable, freeing up some cash. He has a Kam Chancellor ceiling. A-grade pick, but some more savvy gives us some picks.

2. James Washington - A-

This is, in my opinion, not a slot receiver. He consistently lined up outside and beat DB's deep. His size doesn't help in the red zone, but he's an interesting athlete who can separate. Not in a great defensive conference by a long shot, but we'll see how he does in the red zone because between the 20's he's a proven playmaker.
    He's like Antonio Brown in the sense that he is small for an outside receiver, tracks the ball well and is always at top speed theoughout his route. We're going to have the smallest yet maybe most effective outside receiver tandem in the league next year with JuJu manning the slot as he did last year.

3. Mason Rudolph - C+

I've heard his footwork is slow and plodding and his arm isn't quite as strong as you'd expect from his prototypical size. What I see is good touch on the deep bombs, which is hard to coach.
    QB's can be trade assets for picks if they develop, and teams are always in need - a situation where we can groom a player at the most important position in football for 2-4 years is key for the longevity of this team. The fact we gave up the 220th pick does not factor here.

Would've earned an A: Dorian O'Daniel

3. Chukwuka Okorafor - C-

We don't want to pay Marcus Gilbert, I guess? I can live with this a round later, but players like Maurice Hurst and Harrison Phillips would have made some A-picks here. We need help defensively, but they seem to be drafting "groom" players to help ourselves out down the line. He's not very strong but is big and can move a bit. He's a project for one of the best position coaches in football to work on. Not a bad player, but I question it's value; we are in win-now mode supposedly.

Would've earned an A: Maurice Hurst, Harrison Phillips

5. Marcus Allen - B-

The Steelers have, in the past two drafts in particular, come to value intelligent and high character players. Marcus Allen is a high-character SS prospect that can play some sub package linebacker. Why they drafted two of these guys? Not sure, but it might hint that one might be playing linebacker at the next level with some beefing-up. If you add 15 pounds to his frame, he is still way above average in speed and coverage ability for an ILB. Drafting Genard Avery would have earned an A+ here, but I don't dislike this pick.

Would've earned an A: Genard Avery

5. Jaylen Samuels - B+

This is one of our best picks. He can line up in the slot with sure hands. He can play all skill positions on the field and shows promise as a running back - this is not the position he played mostly in college. He's faster and quicker (sub-7 second 3 cone) than he may appear. On big packages when the whole defense is suspecting a Bell run, he can adequately block or catch anywhere you put him and the defense isn't going to expect it unless you are playing the Patriots. Again, I wanted defense here but I can't complain about the RB they ended up drafting. I was high on Mark Walton for the mid/late rounds, but Samuels has something like 40-50 catches last year so we will see how this pans out.

Would've earned an A: Equanimeous St Brown, Deon Cain

7. Joshua Frazier - B-

The new line coach has plenty of experience coaching this guy, so I can't possibly knock something I know so much less about. Solid round 7 flyer.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
  2. Blitz

Blitz Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2016
  3. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    rd 1 - C+ Edmunds...sub package player in 2018

rd 2 - C+ Washington - will get every chance to play. IMO he replaces ELI for 2018..not Bryant. ....Hunter probably gets the nod to replace Bryant. Thats not to say he will play slot...just his roster spot....I'm guessing JuJu slides into the slot with AB and Washington outside.

rd 3a - B- Rudolph....again...nothing in 2018...but maybe a solid pick in 2020

rd 3b - C- Okorafor....2020

I see nothing that will make the 2018 Steelers a better team on opening day.

HACK

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. TheMatrixHasYou

TheMatrixHasYou Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2018
    1) S Terrell Edmunds - C

It would be lower but it fillls a need. Everyone knows we could have moved down significantly and still taken this guy. This was a Tomlin pick because "He comes from a good family."

2) WR James Washington - B

Worth the pick and fills a need.

3) QB Mason Rudolph - A

We got very good value here. He was the 4th or 5th ranked QB on most boards and he was talked about being a 1st rounder. He fell partly because all of the teams that needed QB's got them in the 1st.

3) OT Chukwuka Okorafor - D

Sometimes they find really good OL, like Hubbard, and sometimes they don't, like OT Wesley Johnson. I think Okorafor is Wesley Johnson.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Edmunds: B ... love the player. Bit early.

Washington: A- ... #2 WR. Deep threat.

Rudolph: A+ ... great value in round 3. Our future.

Okarafor: C... will see what Munch can do with him. Potential is there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Edmunds: C+ 2nd/3rd round talent. Good Safeties were still sitting there at #60

Washington: A- possible first round talent.

Rudolph: A- I love him but there are concerns

Okarafor: F horrid pick, esp with value at DL, LB, and RB still there. Would have loved Harrison Phillips or several others.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    If Washington can return kicks and punts...his value jumps to an A for me

HACK

8. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Edmund's S
    Washington S
    Rudolph S
    Okarafor S

I rate this draft as an S. Stillers baby. I could care less about what round the so called experts say a guy should be drafted in. They are ours now. Sub packages are played by us 70% of the time hack. He will help this year.:cool:

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    The only real unusual pick for me thus far is Chukuma Okorafor. Within that same vein though, I could possibly see where this could be coming from

Recall back in 2015 when the team used a third round pick on Sammie Coates. At the time, we had Martavis Bryant but did not need another deep threat. Turns out Martavis Bryant was suspended for a period of time; four games if I recall.

Could something similar be in play given the fact that Gilbert has been suspended previously and could potentially be again? Keep in mind he has been suspended before and there is no guarantee that he might not be suspended again. Yes the substance and performance enhancing policies are entirely different entites but both yield consequences.

I am hoping that Gilbert has not repeated the mistakes of the past. For that matter, I hope Gilbert has not gotten himself injured.

We will have to wait and see as we found out that Martavis Bryant's 2015 campaign was cut short when news broke on August 27th of 2015.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    If I am grading the draft so far as a whole I would grade it as a D+. I love the first pick. On day 2 we did nothing to improve our weakest areas. Defensive depth is nonexistent. The fact that we didn't draft an ILB boggles my mind. If we were rebuilding I would be happy with the draft. But for a team so close to a championship, I'm not sure how we walk away from this draft a better team. Grade D+

Now rating the individual players is different. We did get some great prospects. We just didn't get the help we needed for this year.

Terrell Edmunds B±

People that don't like the pick now will love it after the first couple pre season games. I think you are going to see a lot of Edmunds this year. It wouldnt shock me if you see more of Burnett and Edmunds and less of Davis as the season goes on.

James Washington C+

Deep threat that will fill the void left by the MB. I love his body type. He looks like a running back. My question is can this guy run short and intermediate routes. This is the NFL. Every play is not going to be a go route or a slant and go.

Mason Rudolph B

I know I have been hard on drafting Rudolph, but it's not because I don't like the player. I actually think he's going to be a good player. My problem is drafting a player that can't help you this year. We need depth all over the defense. If you are going to make one or two last runs at a title with Ben you need guys that can help right away. I do realize that 3rd round is great value for Rudolph.

Chucky Okorafor D

The pick dosent fill a need. I'm sure Munch will get the most out of him. But Munch could get the best out of a lot of tackles later in the draft too. Why reach for one in the 3rd? Too many other defensive prospects still on the board.

All in all I hope we can make some key additions during camp like we did last year. Getting Vance and Haden was awesome last year. Maybe there are still some surprise moves to be made after June 1st cuts.

11. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    The thing about Washington is he better be able to run some different routes besides fly patterns....
    Big Ben couldn't hit a 6'5 WR running a 4.3 and I don't think his arm or accuracy is getting any better...I'm just saying.....

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
  13. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Edmunds B- way too early Artie Burns /Sean Davis repeat

James Washington B Like his size

Rudolf B like his size Can he escape defenders? Not much defense played in big12. Landry era over?

Okorafor c- Too high for this caliber.

Allen C another safety?

Samuel 'B- We could have had K Ballage with the Okorafor pick

Frazier B Added depth bye bye big Dan.

My takeaway from this draft is that we may have got our future QB and replaced M.Bryant

Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    He hit him a lot and he didn't catch it. :cool:

15. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    DBs- lost 3 added 3
    OT- lost 1 added 1
    LB- lost 3 added 2 so far, but added a guy to help ease that role in the 70% sub packages.
    WR- lost 2 added 2 with hunter addition.
    I'm guessing we add a LB out of the next 3 picks. Still some good talent left here.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I am a steelers fan and these are my guys now. I give it an A. only because every year I think I am a scout. I think I know what they should do. after 2 days 3 guys I thought were 1st rd guys went in the 3rd.lol so that means 31 other teams thought the same as the steelers did. because reguardless of need if you have a 1st rd grade on a guy in the 2nd or 3rd most take him.

17. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Terrell Edmunds- c+..B
    Pick for need not BPA....

James Washington.... B+
    Good Player fits a need

Mason Rudolph..... A....
    Is he Landry Part ll? I actually Like Landry, think he's Improved every year....

Chukwuma Okorafor... A+
    Family, Honor, work ethic is his core..... Former Soccor Player who now stands 6'6" 330lb and just learning Football dominating at his college level.
    Rare tools and in a couple years will be a dominating OT starter ... It is a future need, Hubbard is gone now soooo.....

Cajun

18. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Actually they will probably play a lot of 3 safeties on defense, get guys like Vince and Bostic off the field on third downs.

19. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    My grade C- overall

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Here's the only possible grade at this point...

image.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. steelcityclash

steelcityclash Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2018
    Just to put in perspective for anyone who is worried about Washington getting separation and having speed to beat cbs in the pros, he ran a 4.43 official at his pro day. I think Martavis was around that too.

I’ll give him a B+ grade. He’s much harder to bring down. Bryant seemed to trip or fall as soon as he was touched.

22. coldrolled

coldrolled Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Sub packages will be played even more now.

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

You’re ignoring how much sub package football we play. Edmunds should be a huge upgrade over gay and golden. The pick improves a definite area of weakness. As does the second round pick. I wasn’t excited about taking a qb in the third, but the value is there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. 08SteelCurtain

08SteelCurtain Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Remember to update your grading as we go here - solid takes so far

Bonus points if you can tell me what would've earned an A

25. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Initial thoughts...

Terrell Edmunds - B plus I've railed for a single high safety prospect for the past 3-4 years and the Steelers are not taking any. Sometimes you just have to admit your type of player is not going to happen. And I love, love the reliable tacklers on the back end (Justin Simmons 2yrs ago, Marcus Williams last year, Natrell Jamerson this year) so I had concerns about Edmunds, but I only found out about his shoulder injury on Thursday and Blast posted a stat where it said he has only missed 5 tackles. I didn't quite see that from the tape but PFF does that as their job so....No denying the athlete, just don't know the Steelers plans. Would be an A if he were better in space. What has Sean Davis shown that gives you confidence he'll be a good FS? This grade is not so much on the player but a combination of the player and the Steelers plans at FS. I don't think many of us fans know their intention.

James Washington - A minus Said before in other threads the defensive players available at the pick were not good value imo. This was just a weak draft class for defense imo. As to Washington, there is more than one way to skin a cat and if you are looking to replace Bryant, this guy doesn't seem like the one. Not particularly tall or fast. Didn't we win the SB with Ward and Randle-El? But....I think the guy can play and will find the endzone which is what you want. Hits a need and has great character. Man 2 inches taller and this is an A plus.

Mason Rudolph - A The QB I wanted if we were to draft one since Ryan Finley didn't declare. Like his size, deep ball and character. Crazy value in the 3rd. I now feel good about the QB position as a whole.

Chukwuma Okorafor - C Toughest pick to reconcile. Defense has screaming needs and the players available had similar value. I recognized the need to replace Hubbard as I think they've lost some faith in Hawkins, plus competition there is needed for him and Feiler. I'll trust our best position coach on this one, but I thought defense was the way to go with this pick. As to the player, I'll say I just hope he's a quick learner. Would be an A if he weren't so raw since our swing tackle took off to Cleveland and if Gilbert/AV goes down we are in a world of hurt. Tough to put that on the player I know, so the grade goes to the FOs choice as well. But there's the rub - do you get a project or go vet FA. Cap room says draft pick and Munchak, you'll need to work some OT.

Marcus Allen - C minus New coach gets a former player as we'll see in the 7th too. Is this part of the contract the coaches sign? Half kidding... Box safety who will probably be a special teamer candidate. A nod to a new coach while leaving players on the board at more needed positions. ILB is the bastard child like S was last year. They could have gone a myriad of different ways here. At least a FS candidate so you are not putting all your eggs in the Sean Davis basket? Just spitballing here. Inmates running the asylum on this pick.

Jaylen Samuels - B I actually kind of like this pick. I know, defense. I believe OC Fichtner has some new ideas brewing, where Haley wanted the move TE, maybe RF wants something different. Guy has some pretty good balance and a nose for the EZ from the clips I saw. Powerfully built guy who is a swiss army knife. Keep the defenses guessing in the RZ if he can contribute there. Anything to help that RZ efficiency.

Joshua Frazier B minus Run stuffer period. Thats what I was looking for in a DT for this draft class. Liked Will Geary out of Kansas better but oh well, Coach Dunbar has familiarity and so there's that trend...He will be an A if he gets McCullers off the roster.

As you can see I took the player, team intention and value into account. Definitely not overly impressed with this draft despite the higher grades. They will have to win me over, I think is the bottom line.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1