1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Official 2018 Draft Day Thread (NO SPOILERS!)

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Blast Furnace, Apr 26, 2018.

1. IZONUFOTO

IZONUFOTO Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    at this point I am resigned to think that the team will be combing waiver wire....lots of better LBs out there to be cut than to be had in the rest of the draft.. or...or...we have a trade brewing with another team..maybe player(2) for player

2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Yep.

I am just finding thr apoplectic reactions quite comical.

People wanted our secondary to get stronger yet do not like the pick even though sub package football is becoming more of a commodity in the NFL.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    If Edmunds plays Mack, Allen should be a better SS than Davis day 1, and Burnett can hold things down at free this might not be too bad.

• Like Like x 2
  4. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I am starting to thing this is a do or die season for Davis.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Overview
    Allen is a punishing, downhill banger with good size and the attitude of a linebacker in run support. He's a little limited in terms of his lateral movement and agility and is at his best when allowed to flow downhill. Tape appears to show a lack of long speed and his forty time seems to back that up. Allen's game is a little limited, but he has the toughness and tackle production of a future starter who does his best work near the line of scrimmage.

I guess if he is a tackler he really don't need long speed right? I am warming up to this just wanted a LB

Also:

Sources Tell Us

"If he doesn't start early, he'll be a star on coverage teams. He's fearless and loves to hit. I'm concerned with his speed and we want our safeties to be better in coverage than he is. I think he's a great fit as a nickel or dime linebacker in sub." - AFC team regional scout

6. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

As I said, Edmunds is going to play linebacker in the dime set with Allen as the Strong Safety.

Considering we use six defensive backs in the dime defense and we are very likely to play it more this season, I would say drafting Allen made sense.

It is as we both have stated after the "Jacksonville Disaster", we need sure tacklers. Allen definitley fits the bill. He is a box safety as you and I have stated but he still has his role to play.

That being said, I really do believe that, with this pick, confirms that Sean Davis, for better or worse, is that single high Free Safety.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    No analysis on the Marcus Allen pick from either ESPN or NFLN, they spent a half hour on that Griffin story :shrug:.

8. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    I think it's mostly because Allen is the same guy we drafted in the first round. Very similar players in that they excel near the LOS but don't play the pass very well. Add that to the fact that we already have that same guy in Sean Davis (and Morgan Burnett is also primarily a SS) and frustration ensues.

9. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    So, do you think Tomlin will trade away our last 2 picks to move up 3 spots for another safety?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  10. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Colbert is the GM :shrug:

11. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Seahawks draft a punter in the 5th so the Holba draft pick no longer hangs like a mill stone around the Steelers neck.

12. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    I think you may be right about Davis at free. Honestly that scares the heck out of me. I hope he and Burnett can do it.

13. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I liked both the TE's just taken.....

14. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

I understand the ire of the Colin Holba pick but keep in mind that Greg Warren retired and Holba was the highest rated Long Snapper who actually received a draft grade by the NFL Draft Advisory Board; extremely arduous to achieve at that.

Yes, he did not work out here but that does not make him a bad player. Jacksonville's acquisition of him attests to this.

15. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Tomlin's still the HC ?

16. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Denver took Fumaglli. Everyone I like is flying off the board.

Price of picking late every year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

My updated list really want a LB Worley Cabinda or OKO

18. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Davis has the range to do it with the explosive capabilities to match. Much of this is going to be to him to solve.

The other portion is left to Tom Bradley. Of all the Steelers position coaches, Bradley is having himself quite the haul in terms of developing these pieces of clay; very high quality ones at that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    And the GM has the final say to make the moves :shrug:

20. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Damn there goes Brown he was a stud nice 3-4 end imo

21. TheMatrixHasYou

TheMatrixHasYou Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2018
    Some guys I like that are still available:

DT Tim Settle

WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling

WR Equanimious St. Brown

ILB Foye Oluokun

DE Hercules Mata'afa

WR Allen Lazard

DE Zach Seiler

22. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Guess I don't see it, as what I've read about Edmunds is that he excels at pass coverage, gets in guys back pockets and stays there.

23. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I didn't mind the pick personally. I have no say in such things so I don't get invested until these guys put on the uniform and show they can play. I was simply pointing out that particular sore spot for the board can now be relieved

24. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I don't care what anyone says hated the Holba pick......oh well

• Like Like x 1
  25. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Kinda weird that some of these picks have played at Heinz Field already.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1