1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Could Landry Jones.....

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by TuRnDoWnForWaTT, Apr 28, 2018.

1. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Is it possible that Landry Jones is now trade bait? There are a lot of teams out there that could use a veteran backup QB. I think Landry has garnered some respect around the league as a solid backup over theast couple of years. If we could nab an extra 5th for Landry that would be great. Frees up a bunch of cap room and allows Rudolph to get way more reps in the Pre-season.

2. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    And let two QBs who never started an NFL game and barely know the playbook backup Ben? You have to be kidding???

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. TIMSBURGH

TIMSBURGH Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Interesting thought but is trading him for a 5th worth the risk of Ben possibly going down for multiple games. We know Jones can keep them going a few games we don't know about the youngsters

4. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Nobody is going to give a draft pick for Landry Jones.
    Steelers aren't going to let Rudolph, back up Ben, at least not this season.
    Unless he some how tears it up in pre-season, or Landry gets hurt in pre-season. Then maybe.

Dobbs might be on the outside looking in. Maybe practice squad for him.

5. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    They will NOT carry 4 QB's......
    Ben will be here as will Rudolph.... That leaves Landry and Dobbs for one position......

Dobbs is odd man out, 5th rd pick with no Game Snaps can't be the primary backup.

Landry is in the last yr of his contract.... Cut he'lol save 1.9 mil....

Camp will be crucial if no injuries occur.....

Cajun

6. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    He was a 4th round pick, but if they put him on the PS he will be snapped up in a week or two, if they really think he has upside then they cant put him on the PS a player trade would be the way to go, so they need to be on the phones today to find a trading partner, bengals need another QB..........

7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Neither did Landry when he came in for Vick. There would be growing pains, just as there were for Landry. Some would argue still suffering form growing pains. :lolol:

I kid I kid, I like Landry. Im not sure who the odd man out will be but i guessing Landry. Dobbs has had a year to learn the playbook. He probably knew it backwards and forwards after a week.

8. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Trade Dobbs for a late round pick.

9. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Landry and 5.11 to trade up mid 4th, grab Shaq

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    I don't think anyone would trade a pick for either Landry or Dobbs.

11. coldrolled

coldrolled Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2014
    This... proving Mason will be the #2 after preseason.

12. TheMatrixHasYou

TheMatrixHasYou Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2018
    I don't think so. They don't have any value.

13. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I feel like Landry has value. No one is trading for Dobbs IMHO. But Landry has established himself as a solid backup. If we could even get an early 6 it would be worth it.

14. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Thank you.... Fat thumb syndrome I guess on my phone..... Should have proof read before I hit the send button !!!!!!

Cajum

15. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Put Dobbs on the PS. Carry Ben, Landry and Mason.

16. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Samuels may be in the mix for as many things as he can do.:roflmao: we need Dobbs to keep the steeler jet working properly since we have a lot of air miles this year. :smiley1::cool:

17. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Before we assume, let us allow darwinism to be our guide.

Allow both Dobbs and Jones to compete against each other for the right to stay on the roster. Winner stays. Loser goes

A very simplistic form of methodology yes?

18. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I guess if someone snatches him off practice squad then all we are out is a 6th rounder?

19. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    you have all of training camp/preseason to decide on Dobbs vs Landry. Big hurdle for Dobbs to overcome Landry's experience, which at the QB spot means a little more. My take is, unless Dobbs flat out balls, then he goes to the PS or at least they attempt to put him there. Then they carry Jones and Rudolph. Dobbs is the one you can afford to lose at this point imo. Rudolph has the upside and Landry the experience to step in for an injured Ben.

20. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Dobbs has no value. Keep an eye out for camp injuries and you might get a 7 for Jones.

HACK

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I doubt Steelers are dumping Dobbs without ever seeing what he has.

Mason and Dobbs are both unknown commodities, better odds of finding a starter if you give them both a chance to prove what they can do.

Keep hearing about the experience factor with Landry. I seem to recall him coming in for Vick with no experience.

I mean all I hear about with Landry is how awful he is and now we cant replace what he brings as a backup? For the record, I think Landry does a good job but I think Dobbs can provide the same.

22. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Different people saying different things Blast. Those that hate him are still saying dump him quick. Those that are indifferent are saying he is an quality backup with real game experience and that has an edge on Dobbs youth and athletic ability. Let's not throw the Vick thing around too much, he was brought in by Tomlin because he thought Vick had more in him than he really did and Landry Jones had one years experience playing in just the preseason and coming from a program that never had him take snaps under center. Basically Dobbs is where Jones was during that Vick debacle. Don't get me wrong here if Dobbs comes into camp and shows a huge improvement from yr 1 to 2 then yes save a million and cut Jones but I don't see this team doing that

23. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    You misunderstood me. I wasnt taking a shot at Landry by stating Vick was playing over him, I was simply stating that Landry was called upon to start with no experience when Vick went down. If they give Dobbs the snaps this preseason, he will basically be where Jones was when he got his chance.

24. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Landry has seemed to gotten over the learning curve somewhat. I'm not a Landry guy but I think his experience at this point gives the team a better chance to win than Dobbs. But things will change, and maybe change a lot, after camp and this year's preseason. Maybe Dobbs' Great Gazoo brain will close the gap in year two. But you don't throw away Landry's experience to come in if Ben goes down. Dobbs has the most to prove imo.

25. coldrolled

coldrolled Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Watching Landry go into fetal position on his 10 yard sacks.. not sure ill miss that.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1