1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Would they?

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by mac daddyo, Apr 14, 2018.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I'm going to give you 4 that keep surfacing to me. Oliver, Davis, Hughes, nickerson. Hughes as one of the guys that could make the switch to FS, followed by Davis then Oliver. Three of these guys could shut down half the field as man coverage guys I believe. Hughes being the odd man out in that role. :cool:

2. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    It will be interesting to see what happens with Josh Jackson from Iowa.

Probably the best ball skills of any DB in the draft.

However, I think the combine exposed his movement skills. After re watching some tape, he was never in man coverage and I don't think it' something that is natural to him.

He is strictly a zone corner. I wonder if he could transition to FS?

3. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Sounds like he's gonna have to. His footwork was exposed during the combine but his ball skills can't be denied.

4. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Or they could just draft a safety :shrug:.

5. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Allen was a safety for one year. Edmund's played both corner and safety. Davis played corner and safety. Duke Dawson played both. It's not really unheard of 6.:cool:

6. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.c...lers-could-target-jermaine-carter-news-rumors

Couple of interesting guys...I know we had Carter in and the Pitt guy is a freebie. All three the LB,FS and TE could be later round guys. The Pitt guy another Hilton? Who knows what direction their draft is gonna go...
    I have a feeling with these later round types we are taking a big interest in ,we might have to start paying attention to the bigger name guys that are getting the most attention Their interest in Guice might not be a coincidence....I will start paying more attention to who they are spending most of their time with as far as Combine,pro day and official visits....

On the other hand a part of me thinks they might be a little coy with their interests not to show their hand and instead maybe leaning on some of the newer connections they have through Dunbar,Bradley and even Fichtner. Seems like the JUJU pick came out of nowhere and maybe Swann gave them the inside scoop....

Soon................we will have our answers. Feels like this draft is taking forever...

7. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

they must have felt this way. what works for one team may not work for another in the rankings. as i said it all depends on what the steelers like not what i like or what the analysts like. i saw us moving towards the direction of this hybrid SS type not for shaziers spot but to get as much help as we could to fill the void. i think they did that with this pick. davis, burnett, edmunds on the field together. not one for the other but as a team. the traditional 3-4 two safety look is becoming a thing of the past. the move backer is in vogue and then this is an answer to that.

we havent moved wilcox either which those traditional safety fans want played much better as a FS while in dallas. its when he was moved to a more traditional role of SS did he start to struggle. i think we did that to davis as well. we have 3 guys that can cover, well actually 4-5 that can cover and still come up and support the run in our safety room now. (davis, burnett, edmunds, berhe, wilcox) gone are mitchell, gay and golden. gay was being tried as this type of player last year and now we have replaced him with what we wanted that position to be around the line without shazier. if we add a guy like a jerome baker or lorenzo carter inside or bostic we will be better against the run and pass.

as i said i love the pick now lets see if we add to it. these pickups we have made will make this defense better. good job stillers. :smiley1::cool:

8. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Would definitely prefer Carter over Baker ,more size and edge ability...I'm thinking we may have to go WR in the second or at least with the 3rd from the Raiders the latest. It depends if there's a run on WRs in the 2nd I think.

9. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    hard to say how this will unfold tonight but we are sitting at a much better position with that extra 3rd. ive seen where baker may have dropped to the 5th in some polls. that would be a steal if we could get both he and carter. sure would plug a lot of holes and future player movements. :cool: