1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Shazier! Biggest Surprise of the night?

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Blast Furnace, Apr 27, 2018.

1. Shazier walking to the podium

7 vote(s)
    63.6%
  2. Terrell Edmunds

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  3. Bryant trade

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    That was so awesome. So happy to see that.

Biggest surprise of the night? I say yes, what says you Steelers Nation?

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I voted Bryant trade cause I read some place Shazier was going to announce the pick. Loved seeing him walk out there, might have been the quietest I have been in a long time as the lump in my throat left me speechless.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I was talking about him walking.

4. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Yeah I know I guess it really didn't surprise me as little tidbits keep coming out about Ryan walking. Now if the question was what was your favorite part hands down without even a question or a double take on my part seeing Shaz walk up there was mine for sure. I was totally blown away by the MB trade it caught me off guard. :smiley1:

5. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    the Steelers Steelers brass thought we would be so elated at seeing shazier walking that it would distract us from the shocking 1st rd pick

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Best moment of the night was seeing Shazier walking. Biggest shock was the Edmunds pick. I don't think anyone saw that coming.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    All I heard all year we must draft a safety, they drafted a safety I happen to like and some people still arent happy, edmunds is going to be a great safety, he has the size speed and ability to be a great one with the new DB coach the future looks bright for him, no matter who we drafted 50% bwould be unhappy about it:

NCAA recap
    R.J. White: A 247Sports Composite three-star recruit out of Ringgold, Virginia, Edmunds made eight starts as a redshirt freshman while racking up 34 tackles (1.5 for loss) and seven passes defensed. He broke out the following year, piling up 101 total tackles (4.5 for loss) and intercepting four passes, including one in a Belk Bowl win over Arkansas, and was named honorable mention All-ACC for his fine season.

Edmunds made just 10 starts as a junior due to shoulder surgery but still managed to be named third-team All-ACC after recording 61 tackles (2.5 for loss) with 1.5 sacks, four passes defensed and two interceptions.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I am happy with the pick. I just wasnt expecting it.

9. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Definitely the best moment. All 3 were surprises. I didnt see any of them coming. There hasnt been a single thing about Shazier walking, they keep his progress wrapped up tighter than a drum. Only thing fans knew was that he was standing.

I figured when they had a big announcement that it would be Shazier announcing, never suspected he would walk out to do it.

Totally beautiful to see. Hope he continues to get better and stronger at it from there.

• Like Like x 2
  10. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    It's the surprise that are catching people off guard. Anyone who watched him knows he is a good football player. Ive never heard anyone doubt his ability.

Certainly there isn't a person out there who had him mocked to us at #28. That's where everyone was caught off guard. Great player though.

11. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

I can only speak for myself and I am shocked at the pick, if that make me unhappy then so be it. I have been one of them guys who wanted a safety and yeah my guys was Reid but that don't mean I mad about the pick of the player. I am mad that according to every ranking I have read nobody had him ranked any place close to a 1st rounder. Many here talk about value and where players are ranked show me where people have this guy ranked 1st round? That is what many of us are talking about, we are not pissed at the player we are shocked at where this guy was picks. I would say many Seahawk and Saint fans are feeling the same way.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I agree, I just must just be that guy you don't want to watch a movie with as I will say what I think is gonna happen. Imo once I saw he was standing and woring his upper body out and then heard he was gonna be there I kinda felt that was what was gonna happen. My kids were like wow you were right.....what an awesome sight. :thumbs_up:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Yes imagine giving your 1st up next year to get a raw guy like Davenport who was handled by a likely 3rd rounder like Branden Parker at the Senior Bowl.

• Winner Winner x 2
  14. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    And no one had baker mayfield slotted to be the first pick in the draft either, teams do strange things in the draft, as well as I didnt see denzel ward worth a 4 pick either, there was a lot reaching going on in the first round yesterday with better players available I thought the patriots didnt pick well either, but like all the rest of the teams they lock on to a guy they like and thats who they take, edmunds will mold into the player we want maybe sooner than later, these analysts dont know everything if they did they would be NFL GMs.....

15. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    You've said yourself you dont care about rankings, why now? If the guy can ball, thats all that matters.

Teams spend all year working on evaluating these players, their board is going to vary from the analytics and certainly amateur fans.

The fact that they had Reid and Bates sitting there and still chose Edmunds obviously shows they had a much different board then draft sites. If Edmunds is a stud, is it still a reach?

I had a second rd grade on him, took him in the 3rd in my mock because I took Bates in the second. So to me, its not a huge reach, especially when your pick is 28, practically in the 2nd rd already.

I actually wonder if they would have even chose LVE or Evans had they been there. They could have easily moved up with the extra 3rd to grab one of those guys.

We'll have to wait and see if they are right.

16. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I agree things are strange and while many didn't have Mayfield going #1 some had him as high as #3 and a 1 to 3 pick in the first round is a big difference than a first round guy with a 3rd round prediction. I loved Penny through this whole pre draft thing but no way did I want him in the first heck I was scared to go 2nd round on him. Obviously the Steelers didn't have a 3rd round grade on him but it makes me laugh how many did and we got him in the first. Like I said I am not pissed at the player I understand he may end up being great and if he isn't that is fine to but I just can't believe he went 1st round.

17. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Your right I am not concerned with ranking cause like you just said we are picking 28 it is like picking in the 2nd. There is a big difference in a first round reach than a 5th round reach. What I will say is picking a guy with a 3rd round grade even in the bottom of the first is a major reach, imo. If we are gonna reach at least drop back and get a pick. I agree everyone's boards are different and it just isn't draft sites but the "so called experts" like Kiper for example.

This reminds me of the Burns pick wasn't super excited but trusted them and hoped for the best. JMO

18. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I disagree I thought Davenport played very well at the senior bowl and watch is film when the guy wanted to play he was a stud....the key is when he wanted to play that is the knock on him. Damn man did you see the highlight film of him when he was picked last night he pushed the guy down with one arm, the guy is raw but talented and like many said last night pass rusher is hot.

19. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    3rd rd grade lol :bscow:

(not directed at you, NY but at the "experts" and that grade).

• Like Like x 1
  21. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    I read they did try to trade up to nab Evans but it just didn't work out. Oh well, I'm not bothered by it. I think it was a good pick and still some good kids to be had without trading off picks.

22. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    We'll never know but I think they wanted that extra 3rd because they dont have a 4th.

Hard to believe our 28th and 11th pick of the 3rd wouldnt have gotten them what they wanted to move up. It was only like 8 spots at that point.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Marcus Davenport being selected by New Orleans for essentially a Kings Ransom.

He is very gifted but very raw; Bud Dupree essentially. Will he make an impact? Sure. Do the Saints need a pass rusher? Absolutely.

Will they need "the guy" once Brees retires? Most definitley.

24. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

I am not saying he is good or bad I am just saying there are plenty of people who "do this for a living" and IMO you have to take what they say at some kind of value. I am not saying these people are right or wrong but really when you read a lot of these and they are all about the same regarding Edmunds you have to think they are fairly close, no?

So I wanted to look up what people were saying prior to the draft and many places have this kid as a 5th rounder(CBS) some had him 3rd and 4th. I am not saying they know more than the steelers but it make me wonder how is there such a gap? So here is what NFL.com says:

The Steelers went safety, as expected, but picked Edmunds, the brother of fellow first-round pick Tremaine, instead of Stanford's Justin Reid and others. This was a surprise pick to most, and probably a round early -- but given his strength and NFL bloodlines (father, Ferrell, played tight end in the league), but maybe it shouldn't have been. He'll be a welcomed addition to the team, either way. (Day 1 Grade: B) -- Chad Reuter

Drafttek:

The Steelers throw a bit of a curve ball picking the Hokie Safety a good bit ahead of his consensus value. Edmunds, an aggressive and intelligent player is, like recent picks, a young player from a power-5 program with multiple starting years. In 2017 he contributed 59 tackles, 2.5 TFL, and 2 INTs. Edmunds is an elite athlete with the second highest pSPARQ score of any safety in this class.

Edmunds could fit multiple roles for the Steelers. He has the speed and football IQ to play centerfield and the physicality to play in the box, even in a Nickle-backer role. The addition of Edmunds with Free Agents Berhe and Burnett to third year player Sean Davis gives the Steelers have a lot of moving pieces at Safety. Edmunds has his work cut out to earn a starting spot but the depth will certainly help the Dime package that the team would like to run with more effectiveness.

Grade: B-

I am not complaining about the pick I am just amazed how far people had him ranked compared to the Steelers. One thing that may be a reason it the position flexibility and the Steelers like that. Either way he is here and I hope he tears it up and you guys rib me.....lol :thumbs_up:

25. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Whomever you saw that had a 5th rd grade on him is fantastically stupid and should quit evaluating players immediately. I didnt see anybody with that low a grade on him. Most thought he was a second rd. Even the first evaluation you posted said as much.