1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

What will it be?

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by mac daddyo, Apr 7, 2018.

1. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Sorry if he cost you money in the BCS,where he was clearly the best LB on the field not named Smith. Even though the total numbers in both games are ballpark. Evans lead the team in tackles against Clemson and was second on the team against Georgia. You know the same guy that you criticized for not being the premier tackler on the team ,even though he was tied for the most,while missing 2 games and playing injured all season. A little fact that you tried to misconstrue. He has 16 less tackles in 6 less games (less than 2.5 per game)played (career) compared to Carter. He has a few more TFL and 1 more career sack in those 6 less games while transitioning to a new position he wasn't recruited to play. Dare I say he also has 5 PD compared to Carters 1 but you want to mock Evans for his total. Also Carter averaged 3.4 tackles compared to Evans 3.5....You admitted yourself that Carter "maybe " can move inside so we're not even sure he can and if he can't then we have to try him at OLB where he might start to hurt some players feelings......yet he is worth the pick at 28? I'm confused....

The funny thing in all this is Evans injury concerns me and while I think if injury doesn't play a factor in his career, he will have a good one. I'm still torn ,the more I hear about LVE the more there is to like....I wouldn't be mad if one was picked over the other I can see + and - on both sides. Evans has the production and tape against better competition but LVE has some nice athleticism for his size and maybe a higher upside that you really can't predict. Like I said I'd be happy with whoever they decide as long as it's not QB,RB,WR or OL ( unless Nelson Decastros to us). I can easily see a couple of the DL mentioned Phillips and Payne. We have Dunbar here to give us a little insight on both Payne and Evans so he might know some things we might not have known. So I would lean towards trusting any of the picks we decide on from Bama,even Harrison. Like I've said before the onus is on the coaches to prepare and develop the talent. Honestly I feel we have been failing somewhat in that department... One mans trash could be another mans treasure ........

I don't mean to jump on you like this, you don't like Evans I get it. I also know that you know your **** and you put in the time and effort. I've read tons of scouting reports on Evans to go along with a handful of tapes, plus I watch almost every game they play anyway because it's nice to watch a team that gets it done more often than not....for a change. Everything I've read says that he will be a very good player injuries aside. No one can predict that (i.e. Ryan). They also go on to say he would be a good fit for a team like Pittsburgh. I try to stay unbiased in my assessments ,to me it just doesn't seem like you are. I haven't heard you mention one positive about a guy who basically all the experts and scouts have very good reports on. I've seen him ranked in the top 4 or 5 everywhere I've looked ,some flip flopping between him and LVE. Like I said my heart isn't set on Evans I will have to trust whatever decision is made,what choice do we have. It's obvious he's not your guy but the kid can play and he's still making the transition and learning the position. In the end you may very well end up being right or maybe it turns out I was...neither scenario makes us a expert. The teams get it wrong with a lot more resources than we have. It really is a crap shoot.... :cool:..........dilly dilly.

2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Now to be fair I said in a post Evans may be alright for us as Vince's replacement, with a LB closer to shazier talents and speed next to him. You can't teach speed and length. Carter has both of those traits. So does Jacobs. See where I'm going with this? Jacobs with those long arms also has strength. He played in a defense very similar to ours and also has starts at both positions. These traits help players in the pros. I have read numerous times that Carter is one of those players that could be a better pro than he was in college. I think Jacobs is that guy too. He played most of the time out of position because of injuries at Wisconsin. They have some very good LBers there and the pipeline isn't empty yet. The next couple of years some others will come to the pros. Edwards for example. Bottom line is we need help inside and that guy has to be able to move, have size and the long arms help keep blockers off him. Strength in those long arms means a lot. Speed for our LBers means a lot for me. The kind of speed Carter has with the other measurables at 250 lbs is key in my liking him. I have always been a big Miami fan and when watching them win those championships the did it with speed on defense. Some of our best defenses here have been fast ones. I want that again. Size speed and length and strength. Those are the players I want here. JMO.:cool:

3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    It was cut off on his film of the BYU game. Came at the end of the game. There was 2 more plays left on that drive when they cut it off.

Its at the 2:49 mark in this video though.

• Like Like x 1
  4. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Fair enough. Time will tell....

5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Might not even go ILB. I have no idea what to expect this draft. Im really looking forward to draft night because there will be a bunch of players available as it gets closer, maybe better value then LVE and Evans. Will be exciting to watch and guess what they will do.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    At least 4 top corners have been looked at by us. Just saying.:cool:

7. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Nowhere did you mention Evans or the fact he was tied with anyone....you said we have the same problem with guys on are team making more tackles than they should be. So you are saying Evans should be making more tackles...no? He made the same amount as Harrison you said. A guy who spends just as much time around the LOS as Evans and many more opportunities down the field. Tying your team high in tackles is a knock....what was he supposed to do. Maybe you can show me how many tackles he didn't make so we could put into perspective his opportunities...jeez. You said VW isn't making tackles and you see the same thing in Evans. Evans was tied for the team LEAD...Vince was not....you keep bringing up his coverage skills and he has 5x more PD than your guy.....the same guy you said"maybe" we can move inside. If not what OLB the same position you said you didn't want drafted because it might upset a few incumbents...cmon Mac.

8. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Can you say Prius named Terrell Edmund's? ;)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Do I see vanity plates in your future:smiley1:

10. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    possibly.:smiley1::cool: