1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Leighton Vander Esch from Boise State

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by francobettis, Feb 22, 2018.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    He's coming here for one.:cool:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I would say we better have a plan B for this pick/player, I don't think he is going to be available when we draft
    @28. Unless we are in love with him and we move up. Or he screws up interview session
    or get's himself in trouble before the draft. Ideal size and mobility make it hard for teams
    to overlook.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I can't remember the last time 4 ILBs went in Round 1. That's why I think either LVE or Evans will be available.

Maybe its' just wishful thinking.

4. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    I think they will have to trade up to get him.

5. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    I really think now with recent signings, that it really is BPA. Which maybe an OL YUK

6. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Generally they do not.

Inside linebackers usually had to showcase some seriously special traits. Both Myles Jack and Jaylon Smith were supposed to buck this trend but could not do it due to circumstance.

However and, coincidentally enough, thanks to Reuben Foster and the increased need for such players thanks to the current rules, inside linebackers have become quite the hot commodity..

Now, four linebackers in the first round would not surprise me. Four in the top 20 on the other hand?

[​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I tend to agree that Evans or LVE will probably be there if we want them. I just don't know if he really fits what the Steelers like. To me, if you want to replace Shazier's athletic ability, you almost have to be in the top 2 ILBs currently this year. I like LVE better than Evans and honestly, I actually like Jefferson more than most. I think if he wants to play football he is going to be a stud when he hits his potential.

I am beginning to think that this is one year that this may be really off the charts and we draft someone that you wouldn't anticipate.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011

Me too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I think missing a 4th rounder already we can't afford to trade up if anything we need to trade back a few and gain a pick. I look at it like this for every player moving up there is one moving down so sitting at 28 we are going to still get a very good player. jmo

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I know many here are very high on LVE and I started off not liking him at all, I am luke warm now. If he is our pick fine if not fine. The thing that got me wondering was what do people outside of Steeler nation think, and I listen to Sirius Radio and they do a mock every friday. In these mocks they have given us either LVE or Evans, as of late LVE is going before us and we end up with Evans. So I went to NFL.com and looked at there picks and 3 out of 4 have us taking Evans over LVE and only 1 has LVE going before we pick......just find it interesting how so many peoples opinions vary.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2018/mock-drafts

14. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i'd be looking heavy at this kid from yale. hes getting quite popular as of late. the skills look like they are there and the numbers look really good too. he gets to the ball with purpose and the pass defense skills are high. as i said many teams are scrambling to take a closer look. he's moving up my boards quickly as a guy i want on this team. he and bostic would be a nice upgrade in the middle. we probably wouldnt have to worry as much about subbing or getting caught not being able to on 3rd downs. :cool:

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah I would be fine with LVE but there's others I would prefer. I just see a bust factor with him that I don't see in some other guys. But he may have the higher ceiling.

When it comes to 1st round picks I'm ok taking a sure thing, especially at #28.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    FYI, Walter (I know) is saying this am that some teams are busting him for his injury history. Moving him to second/third round grades.

17. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    It's really a bad year to need an ILB. Colbert was right about his reluctance of this group. The speed this year compared to so many from previous years makes this a difficult task to not reach. Especially when we pick. I'm not sure next year's is too much better. I do believe if you put the last couple of years in the mix, this group would be lower in they're round selection placements. At least for the LB spot we need filled, with a move LB. :cool:

18. rmorphy

rmorphy Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    Jones? Jarvis Jones? He's the least FREAKISH LB ever, come on.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Donte Hightower should be back from injury to help with their ILBs and Adrian Clayborne was signed to help on the edge. You would HAVE to think the cheatriots go o-line with pick 23. Pick 31 is a question mark but.....

20. WinTheNorth

WinTheNorth Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Took a peak at LVE's profile on nfl.com and wondered what you guys thought about these listed weaknesses:
    • Has some struggles in taking on blocks and will get washed away by down blocks
    • Hasn't learned to use hands effectively to punch and separate
    • Takes himself out of tackle opportunities by attacking iso-blocks and lead blocks with a shoulder
    • At times, will over pursue or run himself out of position in attempt to play fast and avoid having to deal with blockers
    Some of these, esp the last, are things people complain about with Dupree. If this guy stays at ILB it seems like his strengths only dropping back in pass protection, not pass rushing or getting after the runner.

21. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    A lot of teams think he can be coached up to improve his short comings which are mostly technique, Evans will need coaching up as well, the best technique and best natural athlete LB in this draft is Roquan Smith but he will go early long before we pick, so we can go DB in round 1 and look for a linebackers later on in the draft or just play a hunch on vander esch and evans if either one is at 28.....

• Informative Informative x 1
  22. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    For a big guy, I don't think he is that strong.

That's a big red flag to me. He's better in coverage than he is coming down hill taking on blockers.

A little backwards for a big guy.

23. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    But still he had 141 tackles in 2017 he evidently was strong enough to get to the running backs and receivers.....

24. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    These are very real points, my knock on him was he didn't show strength and he didn't show power on the tackle. Now can he get stronger and can he be coached, well if he is our pick I hope so but if he isn't our pick I hope not, lol. I did like what I saw in the bowl game vs Oregon, he is fast and he covers a lot of ground. He show good tackling out on the flat when he was 1 on 1 with the RB and I liked that. He is not my pick but if we draft him I am fine with it.

25. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    When nobody blocked him, yes he made plays.

There's alot of tape of him getting pushed around on the goal line.

I'm just saying it's probably his biggest weakness.

• Agree Agree x 1