1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Draft day predictions

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by TarheelFlyer, Apr 17, 2018.

1. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    1. Our first round pick will be at a position that isn't ILB or S. I think the FO believes they can get those guys later in the draft. The ILBs are not that special so they will go another direction. My dark horse pick is Sam Hubbard. I could also see a CB if there is an impact guy who slides to us.

2. We will draft an offensive player in the first 3 rounds, probably a WR.

3. I think we trade back into the 4th round to get either a S or an ILB prior to the guys we like going off the board.

4. We take a 7th round Dlinemen who our new dline coach likes.

5. I think we take a RB in the 5th. I think Adams and Ballage will both be there still and one will be ours.

6. I think we draft the following positions:

RB
    WR
    DL
    ILB
    OLB
    S
    CB

Thoughts?

2. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Could Da'Ron Payne fit in our defense?

I agree that I wouldn't reach for a need. BPA could very well be something other than LB or Safety.

3. steelcityclash

steelcityclash Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2018
    1. We end up drafting Ronnie Harrison in rd 1. Not happy about it.
    2. They address OLB in rd 2 or 3
    3. Wr will be drafted in 2 or 3
    4. We trade up into the bottom of the 4th for a linebacker
    5. We will not draft a rb
    6. O lineman and dlineman will be picked in the 5th
    7. We will double dip at a position.
    8. I will not be excited about this draft.

AFC north Bold predictions.
    1. Guice becomes a Brown. They draft a qb with one of the two top picks and trade down with the other.
    2. Ravens draft a QB in rd 1. Josh Rosen
    3. bengals draft Evans

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  4. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    1. Disagree. At least in my preference lol. I'm thinking S Justin Reid is the guy.

2. Agree, but I'm thinking RB or TE

3. Very possible but imo it will depend on what holes are filled/not filled in the first 3. If a S and ILB are taken in 1-3, I couldn't see a trade.

4. Agree

5. Very likely

6. Agree but don't see an OLB being taken.

5. TheMatrixHasYou

TheMatrixHasYou Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2018
    I guess I would be okay with taking Sam Hubbard at #28, it just depends on who else is there. Supposedly Sam hussles but his 42 tackles might be a bit low and he had one game where he got 2.5 sacks, if you take that one game away he only had 4.5 sacks all year and no interceptions or passes broken up.

I know DE's don't drop into coverage but come on, even Heyward knocks down a pass once in a while.

6. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Just another note guys. I am not saying these are my preferences, but these are just my gut thoughts.

7. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

I would prefer it to be Vander Esch but Jessie Bates III would likely be the pick. He has been linked to the Steelers since his Pro Day Dinner with Mike Tomlin and Kevin Colbert; both of whom were at Wake Forest's Pro Day to see him. Granted, he has not had the Pre Draft Visit like Justin Reid has but T.J. Watt did not either a season ago as the Pro Day Dinner was all that was needed to see not just Jessie Bates III the player but the person; hearts and smarts rolled into one.

Within that same vein though, Jarie Alexander has been popping up quite often the same. I also would not be surprised if he is a BPA option given the fact that, while seemingly set at corner, is not as it seems as Artie Burns is in a "do or die" season and Joe Haden's cap hit is going to hurt mighty hard next season. Add the fact that Bradley wants to incorporate more man based coverages and it is not that far fetched to see Jaire being the pick.

As you said, Sam Hubbard is an option also but I would not count out Lorenzo Carter either.

This is true. Very seldom does Pittsburgh invest draft captial all on one side of the field sans 2016. Since 2010 even, it has only happened once. More than likely though, Round Three is where the offensive player is selected unless D.J. Chark somehow freefalls as that would be the absolute steal at pick 60 overall.

Very unlikely. Unless there is a player with one of the compensatory picks, not happening. Seldom does Colbert trade up in the draft.

Agree but it is likely not Kevin Frazier as someone will overdraft him due to age and potential. Guys like him still have roles to play in today's game and he can develop into a solid run stuffing defensive lineman as opposed to a mere space eater over time.

Refer to my second point but remove D.J. Chark. Kalen Ballage would be a guy I would look out for in Round Three.

Given the amount of attention towards said position in the pre draft visits and assuming our first pick is not Sam Hubbard, unlikely. Bud Dupree seems here to stay for now but will likely have to prove himself.

Overall, I do agree on some of the points, disagree on others and have viewpoints that will depend on how the draft will unfold.

8. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Sam Hubbard is an effort, contact oriented pass rusher who thrives on wearing down opponents using sheer tenacity and technique. He needs to add some core and play strength to his game but the explosive and flexible athletics are there for him to develop.

That being said, he is more so a 4-3 end than anything else. While I would not mind him being the pick either at #28, how that prevents big passing plays is the current issue.

9. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Hubbard ran a 4.9 no thanks, that's Jarvis Jones slow :rolleyes:.

10. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Position predictions:

Round 1: ILB
    Round 2: Safety
    Round 3: OLB
    Round 5: WR
    Round 5: RB
    Round 7: Safety
    Round 7: CB

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    image.jpeg I'm quite sure there will be plenty of happy and unhappy people here.....

12. BuckeyeBucco

BuckeyeBucco Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I'm a huge Buckeye fan, and if we draft Hubbard in the first round, I'm not going to be happy one bit.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    My prediction is RB, ILB, S in the first three rounds.
    What order? Will depend on who has been taken so far, but will predict
    1. RB
    2. S
    3. ILB

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    I predict that we will have 1 pick on Thursday.

I don't see any validity to any options that include "trade up", we've got no 4th or 6th rounders, with 2 5th/7th.... that's not enough value to get back into the 4th or move any other picks higher.

15. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    1. Rosen won't be a Jet.
    2. Darnold doesn't get out of the top 2.
    3. Rudolph won't get out of Round 1.
    4. I'm expecting alot of trades. More than 7.
    5. Lamar Jackson will go in the top 20.
    6. More Guards will get drafted than Tackles.
    7. Steelers pick won't be a shock ala Artie Burns.
    8. Top prospect who could fall Josh Rosen. If Giants pass on him, watch out.
    9. There's always 1 big shocker. Like Alualu going top 10. I think a S like Reid or Bates or a CB like Isaiah Oliver gets drafted in top 20.
    10. Roger Goodell will be booed. :lolol::roflmao:

Alright enjoy folks! Let's get a good one!:steelflag:

16. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    Mike Mayock and Mel Kiper will be wrong about more than one pick...... and their shock and disbelief will entertain millions.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    1 last thing. Not a prediction but something I would not be surprised if it happened.

If Evans and LVE are off the board, and even though we never do it, I wouldn't be surprised if we moved down 6-8 spots, picked up an extra pick and took a Safety we really like.

It unlikely, but something about the way Colbert was talking at the pre draft press conference. Sounded like he liked the depth in this draft. Just a hunch.

• Like Like x 1
  18. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Goedert the surprise pick.
    Lorenzo the really surprise pick and maybe in the 2nd.
    Freeman at 3.
    Baker at 5.
    Igwebuike 5
    Madox 7
    Flowers 7
    This will pizz us all off and make us want to fei.(fire everyone immediately).

:lolol::cool:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  19. coldrolled

coldrolled Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Guice, Michel or Hayden Hurst

20. 69-2now

69-2now Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2017
    QB
    Safety
    ILB
    WR
    Safety
    DL
    RB

21. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    On the plus side Pens game should be over, but time it's steelers turn to pick. No need to flip back and forth much. Unless some crazy trade happens, but I'd be shocked to see it happen.

22. TheMatrixHasYou

TheMatrixHasYou Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2018
    We draft DT Harrison Phillips and switch to the 4-3.

Our DL would be Tuitt/Hargrave/Phillips/Heyward and behind them would be Watt/Williams/Dupree.

23. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I posted these thoughts in my Mock thread but I'll share them here too.

Going by their list of prospects they have met with I believe LVE or Reid are their targets rd 1. They met with Reid twice, combine and private visit and LVE 4 times, combine/dinner/Pro Day/private. The list of prospects they have invited only includes 22 visits, they can have as many as 30. So there are 8 visits that were kept tightly under wraps. They dont have to meet with all 30 but I doubt thats the case, otherwise they have left themselves pretty thin if the board doesnt break right in rd 1. A lot of the names on their list of private meetings just arent 1st rd talent. At least not in the majorities opinion.

Malik Jefferson will be on the team by the end of the draft. Met with him 3 times. If they take Reid 1, I peg him for a 3rd rd selection. There is questions with his football smarts, something only the Steelers will be able to determine, the rest of us get to flip a coin. If he has the smarts, hes my pick for 3rd round, otherwise maybe a 5th. That of course is assuming they dont get LVE rd 1.

Justin Watson will be a 5th rd selection. Great SPARQ score, really good hands, great work ethics, first in last out just an all around football player that just happens to have eye popping SPARQ score. I think they definitely draft a WR at some point.

I so much wanted Fred Warner to be on the team but he just hasn’t been connected to them in any reports other than the Senior Bowl. Perhaps he is one of their mystery guests. But Im thinking its probably because they set their sights on Terrell Edmunds who is a SPARQ monster. He’s a freakish LB/SS with athleticism and speed. Tape is a little uneven but mounds of potential. Would make an immediate impact on ST while refining his game playing behind Burnett and Davis. I would very much be onboard with this draft pick. Say hello to the Gronk solution.

General predictions for the rest of rd 1.

Except for Nelson, I dont think there will nearly be as many OL picks in the first as I have seen mocked. I believe teams prefer taking skill positions with their first pick. At least thats how it seems the last 2 years. I think a good one will be sitting there at 28 but not sure Im willing to predict they will take one.

Giants will pass on Barkley in favor of a QB. Eli is nearly finished and you dont get many opportunities to draft as high as they are, unless you're the Browns.

Rats will draft Flaccos replacement, Jackson who will sit and learn behind Flacco before taking the reigns in 2019, causing the Steelers fits for years to come.

24. britishsteel

britishsteel Active Member

Apr 24, 2016
    My predictions.

1. The clowns will accumulate another 10 picks from trades, be proclaimed to have an A+ draft and get 2 wins next season.

2. Our #1 pick will be compared to Jarvis Jones/Limas Sweed by somebody.

3. The patsies will draft a QB in the 6th round who will automatically be called the GOAT and will be unable to be breathed on without yellow confetti being thrown.

4. We will not pick anyone who can cover Gronk.

5. The bungles #1 pick will injure himself climbing onto the stage.

6. I will fall asleep before pick #28.

7. I will be very upset/suicidal we didn't pick a NT in round 1.

8. The networks will cut to an ad break when the Steelers legend is talking on stage.

9. The analysts will forget the steelers have a first round pick.

10. Someone will accidentally let the cat out of the bag and announce the London Jagoffs.

Happy watching from the UK

25. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    haha for sure!!