1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Dupree

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TheSteelHurtin2188, Apr 23, 2018.

1. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    The Steelers have used the 5th year option on him. I’m back and forth on this. The old Steeler fan in me doesn’t like it because of sacks but I believe Dupree dropped into coverage more than any other OLB in the league last year and hasn’t had a fully healthy season yet. Overall I think it’s a good move.

2. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    I think if nothing else, they just simply didn't have any other choice as things stand right now...

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    :facepalm:

Average Steelers OLBs in the past had better production than Dupree. Examples: Worilds, Haggans. Neither of those OLBs were first rounders.

We won a Super Bowl with Haggans at OLB. Dupree is good in coverage and when given the opportunity... he can rush the QB. Problem is... he can't seal the left edge worth a damn. The run D is awful against better rushing teams (Jax)... and some of that blame goes to the D-line, but OLBs have to do their jobs.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 4
  5. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    I still have hope for Bud but he hasn't been very good. They need to let him and TJ rush the passer all year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    and that is the only way they will be able to justify keeping him. I think he is solid but people only look at sack numbers. they still think because you play olb for the steelers you rush every play. I would almost bet that the middle backers got to rush more than he did last year

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I'm just not convinced the he can stay 100%, I think if Bud could stay fairly healthy, he could be in the double digit sack kind of guy.
    He often seems hurt and is out hurt.
    But, I don't fault the Steelers on the move. They don't have a ton of choices and the draft won't be able to provide that this year more than likely.

8. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I could care less about his sack numbers, he has been putrid against the run.

• Agree Agree x 6
  9. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    Another failed high OLB pick it appears.

10. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    That's my stance as well and it's not about the sack numbers for me either it's how soft he is both against the run and in his pass rush. I'm tired of hearing about how much he drops into coverage.....where are his INTs and PDs . When he is given the opportunity to rush the QB he has one move and it's to run up the arc totally running himself out of the play....he had terrible tackle numbers and even recorded a couple 0 tackle games...how is that even possible. I hope it's injury related and he proves me wrong but up to this point he's been nothing but SOFT and disappointing....wher is the physicality at 6'4-267 lbs?

11. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Based on what?

12. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I'm not sure how I feel about this. On one had Bud has shown flashes. On the other hand I'm not sure how Bud has been any better than Jarvis Jones was when we declined the option on him. I would have rather declined the option and given Dupree more incentive to prove he belongs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    He has battled injuries throughout his career and has not been fully healthy since his rookie season.

For that matter, if a team like the Steelers believe Dupree is a wasted pick then other teams like the Houston Texans need to so the same with Jadeveon Clowney given the amount of time he has missed.

Hopefully this will be the first full healthy season since he came into the league. Furthermore, let us all hope he puts it all together.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Hopefully. The option can be pulled if in so he doesn't take the next step. Health. If he has another sub par effort because of health I feel it's time to cut bait. I hope I am wrong and he kicks @ss and excels. Big season for Bud, hope he doesn't rest on his laurels knowing he has that 5th year, or get injured for that matter.

15. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Say it isn't so!!!!!!

16. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Well, for what it is worth, Bud has been showing some improvement with his first step. Granted, his explosive traits add to that first step but if that in addition to some new moves in his toolbox he is working on assists, more power and hopefully more production for him.

17. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Dupree is better than Jarvis Jones, Jarvis was a draft bust.

Dupree looks good when healthy, when he isn't healthy it gets ugly, especially against the run.

He doesn't set the edge well against a run from my view point.

But to date Dupree hasn't produced up to the 1st round pedigree level.

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    There is another option. If he's covering his man they don't throw his direction, hence the no interceptions and passes defended. Just like the corner that takes away half the field and teams just don't throw at him. It's pretty simple.you:cool:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  19. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    you took the words right off of my keyboard...

I know I'm in the minority but I'm not buying the "injury has stunted his growth" sales pitch. When he's healthy he is in there, not sitting on the bench because some other guy took his spot. I personally think he's getting caught up in the mental part of the game where he can't put to use what he's learned. Didn't he go to the sack guru last offseason?? And what do we see on his pass rushes but the same ole same ole, off and running like Tom Cruise in one of his movies.

Hopefully this year things slow down for him or whatever, but I think its the pre-snap reads that he is having trouble with and by the time the ball is hiked he just does what comes natural.

20. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Well I guess drafting a OLB in the first round is off the table.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I am not concerned with his sack numbers or with him dropping into coverage what has me concerned is the missed tackles and bad angles he has taken. I know this past season there has been a ton of talk on here about how bad a tackler he is. I don't doubt he can rush the passer and I am not sure how much he has dropped into coverage but missing tackles is a weak point from him. I know Bud has shown flashes so I feel he has the talent just needs to put it together. I am 50-50 on this deal but I think we are vested in him and we have to roll the dice. I am still holding out we draft an OLB as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    There are people who understand salary cap stuff far more than I. So I ask this:

What is the downside of taking Buds 5th year? If he breaks through in '18 and plays well, they have him locked up for '19. If he continues to disappoint they can cut him next spring with minimal cap impact. So why would you not pick up his option?

23. steelcityclash

steelcityclash Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2018
    By picking up his 5th yr option, I believe his salary in 2019 is guaranteed now. Cutting him would still force us to pay him his salary. We are still paying Shazier his 5th yr option even though he’s not playing for obvious reasons.

Tough cap decisions for next year. Bye bye bell or Haden? Maybe if Dupree plays well this year we sign him and spread out the 2019 salary.

24. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Assuming the board is not very good at pick number 28, only two possibilities I see currently.

1.) Jaire Alexander assuming both linebacking and safety options are exhausted. This would signal the end of Joe Haden.

Or

2.) Derrius Guice assuming all defensive options are off the board. This would signal the beginning of the end for Le'Veon Bell.

Both Alexander and Guice are BPA options. How the board falls is the issue here. Should the board have a pseudo-horrible outlook, Jaire it is. If it transcends beyond that which is horror itself, Guice is the pick.

25. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    The fifth-year option can be rescinded, but it is guaranteed against injury. Last year, the Steelers picked up the fifth-year option on linebacker Ryan Shazier, who will miss this season with a spinal cord injury. Shazier will earn $8.7 million this year.

The last time the Steelers did not pick up a fifth-year option on a contract was 2016 with outside linebacker Jarvis Jones.

• Agree Agree x 1