1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Safety targets in the draft

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by steelersrule6, Apr 15, 2018.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Jessie Bates
    Ronnie Harrison
    Justin Reid
    Terrell Edmunds
    Tre Flowers

2. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Not big on Flowers. Oklahoma had a very leaky secondary.

Obviously assuming Minkah and Derwin are gone.

1. Harrison
    2. Bates
    3. Reid
    4. Edmunds
    5. Elliott
    6. Watts
    7. White
    8. Allen

• Like Like x 1
  3. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I'll go by round.

first - Justin Reid
    second - Jessie Bates
    third - Natrell Jamerson. I like this guy, even if the draft fell a certain way and we don't get a S in the first 2 rounds. I'd love to have Jamerson in the third. I think this guys gonna be a player.

Some others that may be after the 3rd...Godwin Igwebuike Northwestern, Trayvon Henderson Hawaii, and Josh Kalu Nebraska

4. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Cruikshank?....

5. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Arizona guy right? I would definitely put him in that after 3rd round crowd, nice call

• Like Like x 1
  6. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I haven't seen him play, but dude has the size and was impressive at the combine around a 4.4 forty.

7. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Yeah that's where I first heard of him too but they say he's on the rise...

8. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Sleeper picks
    Tarvarius Moore- Southern Miss 6'2 190 ran a 4.32 at his pro day
    Trayvon Henderson-Hawaii 6'0 200

9. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    I'd put Troy Apke in the "after 3rd" group too. I'd love to use one of the 7th round picks on him, but that 4.3 at the combine probably means someone will take him in the 5th

10. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Edmund's for me. I like igwebuike if we go for two. Oluokun as a duel purpose player.:cool:

11. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    4.3 wow thats insane, I'll have to check him out

12. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    He doesn't show that great on film, but he murdered the combine. I think he'd be a special teams ace and depth free safety. Love to get him with one of the 7th rounders, but I'd be ok with using the second 5th rounder on such an athletic freak.

I also like Damon Webb out of Ohio State as a potential later round free safety.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    From a pure on the field football perspective, can anyone differentiate Jamal Adams last year from Justin Reid this year?

14. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Reid is more explosive and the better athlete overall. Does not matter which form of athletic or explosive capabilities are; short area, change of direction, hip fluidity or otherwise. This allows Justin Reid to be more of a chess piece than Adams was when he came out. He can be deployed anywhere and still succeed whereas Jamal is best deployed as a Strong Safety.

That being said though, as I see it between tape, Adams contains the far more violent aggression. Nevermind he could lay some serious wood but also could control and aim where he wanted to hit you. His biggest selling point though was his instincts; something Reid has but no where near what Adams had when he came out. If anyone needs a tempo setting, instinctive safety with the violence and aggression to match, Adams is the guy.

15. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012

This is the way I like to do it as well and I am right with you on rounds 1 and 2, I haven't read much on Jamerson. As far as Igwebuike and Henderson goes I am not fans, Igwebuike was the first name I saw linked to us a long time ago and he was the first guy I looked at and wasn't impressed. Henderson I watched in the shrine game I think can't remember if it was that or Senior bowl and he looked bad. I know he had some good reviews but I didn't like what I saw. some other guys I like:

Rounds 2-4: Elliott, Watts, Blanding & Webb
    Rounds 5 and beyond: Reaves and Flowers both great value here.

Dark horse I need more info on but a 4.32 40 has my attention, Tarvatius Moore Southern Miss"

A 2017 PFF College First-Team All-American, Moore has created even more buzz with a 4.32 40-time at his pro day. He had an outstanding 2017, finishing with an 86.8 grade against the run and an 84.2 mark in coverage. Moore’s movement skills show up on the field as he hangs with receivers in one-on-one situations as well as any safety in the class and he closes in a hurry on underneath passes when playing zone coverage. He can get caught with his eyes in the backfield on play-action, so there are a few ugly plays on film, but Moore has the skills to develop into a solid all-around safety with versatility on the back end due to his size and speed.

EDIT: @steelersrule6 nice find on Moore, didn't see you posted him before.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  16. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I know Reid and Bates are the sexy picks because the plays in pass game, but in all honesty I'm worried about run defense. Mitchell and Davis take took horrible angles all year.

Ronnie Harrison and Terrell Edmunds seem like willing tacklers...

Can Minkah Fitzpatrick play safety? He is seems too big to be a corner? Maybe he falls?

17. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Giving up double digit pass plays of over 40 yards, fourteen at that, requires a safety with some serious ball tracking skills and solid range to match. Within the same vein, that player needs to act as the ultimate final resort as they were intended to on defense to prevent the already persumed play into points. That being said, here are the likely incumbents:

1.) Justin Reid. He is athletic, explosive, very smart and can play any defensive back position at his beckon call. His maximum potential would lie in being a Free Safety; his range and instincts being key in assisting Pittsburgh's defensive woes.

2.) Ronnie Harrison. Assuming Sean Davis is the Free Safety, he is a Strong Safety with Free Safety range. Best left in the box in essentially a "floater" role where he can wreak havoc near the Line of Scrimmage.

3.) Jessie Bates III. Assuming the team still believes in Davis being the Strong Safety of the future, Jessie's centerfielding abilities ultimatley come into play sooner than later. Outside of Minkah Fitzpatrick, no other safety possess his ball tracking abilities and instincts when the ball is in the air.

4.) Terrell Edmunds. Quite possibly the most likely choice of the five here assuming all goes well in round one for a linebacker. Playing both safety spots and corner is one thing but playing linebacker is another altogether. He possess the greatest chance to contribute early.

5.) DeShon Elliot. Take everything you know about Ronnie Harrison but downgrade the athletic capabilities. He is a box safety who can cover but has a greater restrictions on his covergae abilities than the other four above.

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I think Tarvatius Moore came in for a visit today.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    I think Fitpatrick can be a stud free safety. If he were there at 28 I'd sprint to the podium.