1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Bad chemistry with a brooding Bell on team

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Watt Wack, Apr 17, 2018.

1. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    If they keep Bell tagged and he acts like he did last year (and he said he intends to) by not showing up until 1 week the season starts.....

...it will damage team chemistry and they will not win a ring.

I believe how they handled Harrison last year also wrecked team chemistry and is one reason we lost to the Jags.

Does this team not grasp and value team chemistry? You will never win a ring without it.

Willie Parker even said so. After winning a SB in 2005, he said the team was not "like brothers" the following season and why they underachieved. He was right.

Let him walk. Cut out the cancer. I know he's really good, but I'd rather have a unified team with a little running back by committee than a brooding Bell hurting team unity.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    We won a Super Bowl in 95? Sweet!!! I always knew they could do it!

3. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Agreed...But I would have done this months ago...True, We wouldn't have gotten anything for him...But, We really would have...Cut his salary, pick up somebody like Hyde or Crowell., and draft one like 3rd round ( deep good class ) for a 1/3 of what Bells making...A slight droppoff but with the money saved...Could have added another decent FA or . AND cut the Cancer!

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Jk Watt Wack. I agree with just about everything you said. Chemistry is so important.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I would feel better about the mental health of this team if Lev signed and got into camp, that is for sure.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
  6. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    You know what I meant, funny guy.

7. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Easy Watt brothers

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  8. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    :bscow::poopy:

I’m having a hard time thinking cutting one of your best players would help team chemistry and moral. The players want him on the team. They know they are better with him. Cutting him would hurt chemistry.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    Bell is unhappy about being tagged. The "team" made the decision to do so. So, he is miffed at the team. Do you think he is going to sit around and offer team-positive rhetoric or is he going to ***** and moan most of the time? THAT does not lead to good team chemistry. If you ever ran a company, you'd know anyone hanging out bashing the company needs to be removed from the "team." You need a unified effort or you will underachieve. Not saying much of anything is fine; bashing the team is not. Bell will spend time whining about it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Maybe I missed it, but I have yet to see him bash the team or anyone else. All he has stated is he wants an unreasonable amount of money.

11. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    You can be a cancer in the locker room while stating nothing publically.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    He recently tweeted something along the lines of its hard to be a hero in a city that makes you the villain... Didn't sit well with a lot of yinzers. Don't know how the team per se felt about it but if he starts posting crap and running his mouth trying to incite other team mates it could be a really big problem. Guess time will tell.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Bell has 14.5 million reasons not to brood :shrug:, I doubt he will be a cancer during the season he wants to get paid still in 2019.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Let's all hope he grew a brain then. So far he hasn't demonstrated a good eye for what's best in regards to his future.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    215px-The_Wizard_of_Oz_Ray_Bolger_1939.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  16. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Addition by subtraction. His bad attitude can spread through the locker room like wild fire. He’s out of touch with reality. $17 million a year over several years? Yeah right, that’s happening. He wants to “reset” the RB market. Hey stupid, the Steelers offered you a deal that would have done just that. Thank god you were too stupid to sign it. I’d be shopping him to a team for a trade and move up to get Shazier’s replacement. But no team will be dumb enough to give him the money he wants.

17. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I dunno. Did Bell hurt team chemistry last yr? I don't really see it.

His teammates don't care much whether he misses camp and preseason. Why not? Simple, they all negotiate contracts and may want to hold themselves someday. Bell nearly led the league in rushing and yds from scrimmage. So he produces when the games count. His actions irritate the hell out of fans, probably annoy the coaches, but likely don't bother his teammates much at all.

• Agree Agree x 4
  18. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    The only bad chemistry is with the fans, many players have said they know it is a business and they know Bell will be in when the season starts. There is not a problem on this team the problem is with the fans not liking it not the players......

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    This

And this.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    Well, we can agree to disagree. I feel it's a small fissure.

• Like Like x 1
  21. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012

I understand but every time I hear something reported about one of the players talking they are all saying it is a big deal. It is a big deal to the fans and that is fine but I am not worried about chemistry. :smiley1:

22. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I don't know about 95. But in 1985 a team pretty much destroyed the league on the way to the Superbowl, while their coaches loathed each other and had to be pulled apart from fighting. Not sure what that did for team chemistry.

23. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    You keep pushing this rb bu committee. If you look at the rb bu committee teams that have won rings they had better defenses by far than this team. If they were going to do the committee it should have been happened so the defense can improve.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    Yep.

There is a case to say that Bell's timing was off with the o-line in the first few games. But that wasn't really limited to Bell alone - we're used to the Steelers being slow out of the gates these days out of preseason. So I'm not sure I'd put that down to chemistry. After all, Ben was pretty bad early on as well.

I guess if I'm thinking of 'team chemistry', I tend to think of specific understandings certain players seem to have with each other on the field. Ben and AB, for example. Lloyd and Greene, back in the day. Troy and Ryan Clark. etc.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    Just as a point of interest, here's an article from the other year on the committee approach:

https://www.numberfire.com/nfl/news/9082/do-running-back-by-committees-work-in-the-nfl

In short, they argue that there's no significant difference between the two approaches, based on the calculations they run (which could be criticised). But it would be interesting to take their numbers and add some kind of "strength of defense" figure as well.