1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers should rescind Le'Veon Bells Franchise Tag

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by VTSteelerfan, Apr 10, 2018.

1. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Far too late. Should have happened at the beginning of free agency so some defensive talent could have been picked up to offset his losses on offense which will be virtually irreplaceable at this point unless we get lucky. Unless Seattle is willing to trade earl thomas and a draft pick for bell.

2. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    We are exactly where we need to be with Bell.

3. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    I believe it's called sarcasm. But I could be wrong...

4. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Too late now. Jarvis Landry just got paid and now Bell has the Steelers... right where he wants them...by the balls.

5. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    How do you figure? Steelers have Bell at 14.5 and are ok with that. Bell doesn’t have anything other than that. Nothing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Steelers113

Steelers113 Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2017
    whats funny is there are many teams in the nfl that could ride there running back to death.
    I still partially blame the steelers for his stat inflation
    you cant tell me they couldnt have let someone spell him over the years especially when we had d Williams and he proved to be just as or nearly as effective

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Wow .... you don't think 14.5 mil is nothing?! ... lol ....Mr. Rooney want him to be a steeler.

8. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I doubt Bell is holding out for an extra 3m-odd a year because of some extra garbage time yards he’s accrued.

Although with Bell, who knows...

I’d also have liked to have seen more RBs used to compliment Bell, but I don’t think it would affect these negotiations.

9. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Not surprising Bettis in an interview thinks the Steelers should pay Bell lol. I have to laugh because not one player has said not to pay Bell. Past or present.

10. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    But he still doesn’t have the Steelers by the balls.

11. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    My problem is if he gets hurt. We won't have money to replace him during the season and how good will this offense be with what we have behind him right now? I'm not sure we make the playoffs and especially if we draft defense heavy this year as many want. :cool:

12. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    How do you figure that, receivers have more market value than running backs, landrys value is 16M a year, AB is top paid at 17M, and landry under his new contract gets a little over 15M a year for 5 years, and the top paid running back is devonta freeman who has a 5 year 41.250M at 8.250 M a year, so the only balls bell has anybody by are his own......

13. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2017
    Players stick together so it’s not surprising that they said the organization should pay him.From a team standpoint they have to fit everyone in their budget and what Bell wants doesn’t fit that budget!Get the most out of him in one of his two to three absolute prime years he has left!I think he’ll have a chip on his shoulder and try to prove he’s worth the money he wants!It’s a win win because we get Maybe his best year he’s had yet and he gets a bigger contract from someone else next year.Reality says are chances of signing him are very low so let’s make the most of him while we have him!I l would love to keep him until he’s 30 but don’t see it happening!

14. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    My problem is ... what if we don't have him period?! We've been blessed and spoiled at the wr and rb position for so long that we sometimes take for granted what we have. We looked for a qb for so long and suffered for over a decade before obtaining one, gifted wrapped with a bow on top ... mind you. If we had signed him 3 yrs ago ... when we had leverage ... then we wouldn't be having this discussion now. Pay the man and pray that he runs into the hof after a couple of superbowl wins.

15. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

yup I understand the process. Similar to how you never hear doctors talking negatively about one another. They stick together. The problem is with Bell is we wont pay him so he wont show up for OTAs possibly dragging others morale down. I really think if you pulled these individual players aside you would find them less supportive off the record.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    All this crap and I am still waiting for one of these so called analyst to point out that this is a HARD cap league. HARD CAP LEAGUE. You are paying Big Ben 20+ and a receiver 17 million per. It isn't the matter of not wanting to pay Bell, it's a matter of they CAN'T pay him 17 million. All this should, would and could is just brainless chatter. Do your damn homework. The Steelers have to field a 47 game day roster with a set number. This with the defense being the most putrid in it's history.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    If we knew he could keep up what he does at this pace it would be different. This position isn't conducive to a long term success rate. We are paying him and have offered him a record amount of money and he wants more. At some point it hurts the rest of the team. When you have this many star players you have to adjust somewhere in this capped league. I don't think it's we don't want to pay him but where do you cut to do it? :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Last year we could've started with our LT AV and also with Mike mitchell

19. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    The way I see it, the problem is..... Bell can theoretically sit for the first 10 games..... we won't know his intention until close to the start of the season, if at all. Yeah, 14.5m isn't anything to sneeze at, but he's already sitting on some cash now after last season's payday. It's all really up to Bell on how he wants to handle it, he can be a d!ck and sit out for 10 games or he can make his statement and play a full season. I don't see the steelers rescinding his offer and drafting a replacement, there's just too many other holes to be concerned with at the moment. They've got adequate options on their roster with Conner and Ridley to stumble through the season without Bell.

20. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    How do you get that? He can play or sit this season, it's up to him. By the end of next season, he'll be another year older and a half a step slower. The Steelers will run his wheels off again next next season and the guy's already had two serious knee injuries. If some team wants to be stupid and pay him $17 million, more power to them!

21. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Bell strikes me as the kind of guy, If we had signed him 3 years ago...That he would now be sitting out...Bitching and moaning saying he is now underpaid, and he needs a significant raise...Or he might ride off into his rap career!

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Disco1981

Mar 20, 2017
    Cut our LT?

23. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    is bell not signing his tag going to hurt us in the draft? could we have tried to trade him without the tag being signed or do we have to wait until he does? is this his leverage against them right now? :cool:

24. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    never mind found it. they can trade him without him signing the tag. :cool:

25. Disco1981

Mar 20, 2017
    They can but...There is a lot of moving parts...I beieve they work out a trade and basically that team then works out a new contract with Bell...THEN, Bell agrees to the sign and trade correct?