1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Vander Esch rumor

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by steelcityclash, Apr 16, 2018.

1. steelcityclash

steelcityclash Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2018
  2. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I'm not his biggest fan. We will have to find out. Just takes 1 team to like him.

3. steelcityclash

Mar 25, 2018
    I agree, You and I are in the minority. But after putting up an impressive SPARQ score, have to wonder if something happened after the combine or perhaps it’s a heart thing.

4. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    100% complete speculation here, but with him being a 1 year wonder after an injury marred career, combined with the fact he seems to have some freakish physical characteristics, I have wondered to myself about the possibility of PEDs.

Once again, complete speculation on my part. But its interesting what these failed medicals are all about.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    One year starter for Boise State? Not sure that qualifies as a 1st rounder to me.... then again, wasn't Timmons only a 1 year starter? I can't remember, I think he was.

6. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Watt was a 1 year starter at Wisconsin.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I read an article last year about how dirty it can get around draft time. People trying to sink a players rank in order for another to rise and so on.

I tend to think thats what is going on here as the source has a less than stellar record.

We'll find out soon enough. Last year Billings was the talk of the town and he dropped like a stone because of medical.

8. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    Billings was 2 years ago I think but something is wrong with that guy because he don't look very good. Then again, he is a Bungle. :lolol:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah, wow, time flys. 2 years ago.

Definitely got the better player in Hargraves. I believe JH was dealing with back issues last year but he can be very disruptive when healthy. He was earlier in the season.

10. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    At the combine it was roquan Smith with the heart trouble. Has anyone heard anymore about that?:cool:

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  11. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    Where dd you hear that?

I remember Maurice Hurst had a heart condition. Don't recall anything on Roquan.

12. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    NFL Network says that the supposed issue was with his neck, but that after speaking with several team doctors who performed physicals on him, it appears to be just a rumor. All the team doctors they talked to gave him a clean bill of health.

13. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    It was NFL network at first and they did say heart at first and I never heard anymore. Was it changed to neck like ender said and then to nothing? :cool:

14. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    :applaud:

Blast does make a point of emphasis here.

I have also known this to be on numerous occassions that highly touted draft prospects slide due to "issues". Granted, some of these issues are present but teams are given ample time to assess their players; the hilarity of these "reports" beget immense levels of schadenfreude.

Here are some examples I havw noticed since 2015. They are as follows:

2015:

Jordan Phillip's back issue could strain and end his career early. Issue with this is he is one of the main leaders along the Miami Dolphins front since.

2016:

Andrew Billings having a major knee issue of sorts. Time will tell with him but he is technically in his second full season of playing the position.

Myles Jack's infamous "degenerative knee" report surfaces. Slides to round two as a result. Becomes one of the games most dynamic linebackers as a result.

Jaylon Smith being told he would never play again. Plays his "rookie season" and records 81 total tackles and a sack; his manuverability returning in his knees no less.

2017:

Sidney Jones will "miss" the 2017 season all together. Plays in the season finale and was used in the Eagles 2017 run.

Gareon Conley accused of "sexual miscount" by a woman. Those allegations turned out false.

Malik Hooker being supposedly "far slower" than his tape suggests; further questioning his range. Lead league in interceptions before being injured again.

Takkarist McKinley being ineffective working on the edge due to his shoulder. Generates six sacka as a situational pass rusher though.

2018:

Leighton Vander Esch report surfaces of him not being medicially cleared. Came from very controversial rumor boy Charlie Campbell. Nothing to see here.

Rashaan Evans is way too injury prone. *Cues C.J. Mosley music*. Will be special once that groin heals up.

Josh Rosen's body and immaturity will be his greatest downfall. Said about any prospect ever? :lolol:

Mason Rudolph will fail because cue "Big XII" bias. Maybe in years past but where the league is going now, I sincerely doubt it.

Josh Sweat is injury prone. Or... Florida State and, more speficially Jimbo Fisher, is not the brightest defensive mind in the ACC closet.

Tremaine Edmunds is too young. Uh... JuJu Smith Schuster says hello.

You all understand the point. Before I go, here is the best one I found thus far and a common theme:

Saquon Barkley will be overdrafted due to his position and therefore is overrated.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  15. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

All these quotes from these reports are just further indication that they are nothing more than mere reports. Why teams would go out of their way to see these guys if they were no medically cleared by their own staff puzzles me. Reporters and Analysts act as if every NFL Team shares the same form of medicial rehabilitation, sports science and conditioning.

News flash. They do not. Sure there are similarities but the overall construction of each team is different. Saying that teams share the same level of preparation time evaluating prospects is the equivalent of stating that Mike Brown and Kevin Colbert evaluate prospects the exact way; completely false.

If anything, such "reports" to me are nothing more than white noise; I notice it at first but it quickly goes away. Just food for thought.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
  17. steelcityclash

Mar 25, 2018
    Per Mark Kaboly, he states Mike Mayock said the medical issue is Vander Esch’s neck and teams are concerned.

Could these pre draft visits be in part to check his neck? One things for sure, there are a lot of teams that are interested in him.

18. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Per Rapoport, one team representative said their is no medical issues with him and thinks he'll continue to climb.

He also scored 4 out of 5 at the Combine on his medical check.

This is a game certain people play to affect draft stock. He had a neck injury in 2016 so it can't be dismissed outright and will make some teams pass over him. Pretty ****ty thing to do if you ask me.

if he does fall, hope he falls right into our lap. Think the kid will be a stud.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    I think you're right about somebody throwing up smoke screens and about this kid being a stud. I'd love for him to be the pick at 28, but it's looking more and more like he may not be there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    misinformation, red herring, propaganda. 3 things just as common as the 40, shuttle, and vertical come draft time. Nothing to see here.

21. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Remember the rumor got started that Dan Marino was a pot smoker and he fell from the top to the bottom of the first round, I always felt the steelers got suckered into believing that rumor and was scared to pick him when they had the chance........

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
  22. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    I always thought the rumors were cocaine not pot?

Also I have read that the team had no idea how bad Bradshaw's elbow was and thought he'd play a lot longer. Bob Labriola recently wrote that Bradshaw chose to have elbow surgery in his home town in Louisiana without even telling the team or consulting any experts.

Lastly (sorry for being so long-winded) I saw an interview once of Art Rooney Jr. saying that his dad wanted Marino badly, but Coach Noll felt like the team's great run in the 1970's was started when they drafted a cornerstone DT (Mean Joe) so they should rebuild the same way by taking a cornerstone DT (Gabe Rivera).

23. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Actually Noll admited in a 92 interview that the drug rumor convinced him to pass on Dan:

The rumor was pervasive and convincing enough that former Steelerscoach Chuck Noll admitted in a 1992 Associated Press interview to passing on Marino specifically because of the rumor. The Steelers, of course, were close to the epicenter of all things Marino in 1982—Marino grew up in Pittsburgh and went to Pitt—at a time when being geographically close to a story made a big difference.

• Informative Informative x 1
  24. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    It was coke.