1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Former Steeler Great Harrison Retiring

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by CK 13, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Or better... just move on from the salt altogether. It’s water under the bridge now whichever view one has of last season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    What if he won that Super Bowl with the Patriots. Rubbing it in our face. He still follows the Patriots on all social media and not the Steelers. Maybe some Steelers fans need to get a grip, he doesn't want you.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. THREE RIVER SHIVER

THREE RIVER SHIVER Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2017
    Maybe the steeler organization mishandled the situation a little bit... James did have a little left in the tank,and should have played more this season.But with that said the way HE handled the whole situation showed how friggin immature a 40 year old man can be...Hucking it up with Brady in the locker room...All the social media crap...it created a media **** storm and that is exactly what he wanted...James was a great steeler,but HIS actions this past season sorta tarnished things a bit for me!!

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    Again, Colbert and Tomlin would’ve been in my crosshairs for criticism

I do agree with you about being tarnished. I just keep reminding myself of my above comment...those two were the ultimate reason he even had the option to sign with NE

• Like Like x 1
  5. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    How is it their fault? They could have buried him on the roster and never allowed him to leave but he wanted this. Acting up in meetings etc. Hard to work with somebody acting like a bonehead. He did this to himself.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. THREE RIVER SHIVER

Oct 24, 2017
    I wont deny the man had one of ,if not the greatest defensive play in super bowl history..And in his prime he seriously handled his business. I would say at the time I thought he bled black and gold..I just cant help but thinking how I would have felt if Hines Ward signed with the Ravens and was hucking it up with Lewis and Ed Reed......or Bettis coming back to play for the Bengals.....OR Lambert playing a final year for Oakland!!....Some men seem destined to play for a certain city.They fit the mold..I think eveyboby on this board feels the same way about Bettis,Ward,Lambert...they bled these colors.....Not so sure about Harrison

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Thanks for the memories James.

Any bitterly foolish Steelers fan that continues to hold a grudge on the way the departure happened is completely looking way past your meaning as a Steeler player wearing that Black N Gold #92 uniform..

Thank you so much for your Pittsburgh career. I for one, will never forget it.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    And that’s a lot of space.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    I don't get all the hate for Harrison...... he is a Steelers great through and through... he was promised a certain amount of playing time and on most weeks he was inactive.... do any of you picture mean Joe green accepting that in his final yrs..... what about troy, or jack lambert...
    Most of you would be jumping to these guys defense and calling for the coaches head for his treatment of a legend.... many of you would probably boo the coach at the game..... every week, there was an article asking will James play..... this is an embarrassment to the organization and the coaches.... James Harrison will always have my admiration as a fan and a person

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  10. THREE RIVER SHIVER

Oct 24, 2017
    Sorry to say i'm gonna hang out with the bitterly foolish grudge holding crowd for a bit longer...They seem to be more fun than the bleeding hearts.:sneak:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  11. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    I'm on the grudge side, hasn't waned a bit. For those comparing Harrison to Woodson and Franco should, instead, be comparing him to Blount. Leaving as a FA is very different than forcing the team's hand by acting like a diva b#%$&.

• Agree Agree x 4
  12. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    What exactly was he promised?

13. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    WHAT???? Im stunned! You mean nobody wanted to sign this ageless wonder sack machine????? Surely there is a team that still thinks he can play????

:lolol: Sorry, couldnt resist.

Wish he'd have retired one season earlier but appreciate all he did as a Steelers, especially the SB, possibly the greatest play in SB history.

As Turndownforwatt said, time heals all wounds. I'm sure he'll be welcomed back some day.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Agree completely. No player, anywhere is promised much. You get the playing time you earn, and when someone better or with more potential comes along, you ride the pine. Especially when your 39.

Harrison may expected more playing time, the staff might have expected to give him more, but when Watt showed his ability, who was gonna bench him to make Harrison happy? Surely, a guy whose been in the league as long as he was, and who spent his first 4-5 yrs bouncing from around, and who left for Cincy for playing time he wasn't gonna get here, should understand that. So the Steeler broke their 'promise' of playing time? Boo f-ing hoo, this happens every yr on every team inevery pro sport in the world.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    92 will always hold a special place in my heart. The fact is, he was a great Steeler linebacker who terrorized opposing quarterbacks and we have a lot to appreciate about his stellar career with the Steelers. Thank you Jason Gildon! ;)

In all seriousness, I was as PO'd as anybody at Harrison this past season. He was an absolutely pathetic member of our team and I was highly disappointed at his juvenile antics. And signing with the Cheatriots was the icing on the cake. But, he did give Steeler fans some great memories as well and his 100 yard INT return for a TD was the single greatest defensive play in Super Bowl history and was a game changer. Thanks for the great memories, James, and shame on you for choosing to conclude your career the way you did!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

So you're implying Moats was better? :huh:

• Like Like x 1
  17. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Except for 4 games (3 of which came at ILB) where he received 15, 10, 19 and 18 snaps, Moats was averaging 2-5 snaps a game. Dont think that was going to satisfy James either.

18. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Another Terry Bradshaw relationship

19. WinTheNorth

WinTheNorth Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011

^^^ This

• Like Like x 1
  20. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    Probably not, but maybe it would have.
    2-5 still gets a player involved in the game, a chance to use that adrenaline.
    Zero means they spent a week in order to do nothing but get rusty.

Harrison was retired, and the Steelers sought him out.
    He responded when the team was short-handed.
    He contemplated retiring both the past years, about whether the long preparation (especially needed when approaching 40) was worth it. I believe that he would have retired last year if the coaches were honest to say he wouldn't see any playing time except in an emergency.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. MeanJoeBlue

Jan 2, 2013
    Why is it all or nothing? A few snaps to Harrison ≠ benching a starter.

Watt was quoted about not experiencing the rookie "wall". That was right before it looked like he hit that wall...

That's one problem I have with Tomlin's style, that he rides the starters too much. Then he wonders why the back-ups are rusty when the starter is injured for a game or too. (Or Tomlin keeps using the injured starter, instead of letting them recover.)

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  22. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    On the other hand, Tomlin (andLeBeau) have also been criticized for not playing their rookies enough. Not giving them a chance to develop. So it cuts both ways.

I'm a little surprised at the level of support Harrison gets from fans regarding his lack of PT here, I struggle to think of any other players who ***** about playing time and get fan backing. Blount, Matavis got no sympathy from fans on this. Ok, JH is a local legend. But does that entitle him to misbehave his way out of town? Not to me anyway.

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. fansince40s

fansince40s Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2013
    Football is a business there to make money, most players look at it as a business and they are there to make money. I don't hold a grudge at all towards James, as a fan his SB TD was the most exciting play I have ever watched and it happened in the greatest game of the season. He was promised playing time and Tomlin renege on that so he wanted out and had a chance to make more money elsewhere, so he signed with another team where he had a chance to play and make more money. It's mostly all about money to the players and they go where they can play and make the most. I wish nothing but the best for him and his family.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  24. MeanJoeBlue

Jan 2, 2013
    Cutting back a few snaps on Watt does not mean that he barely sniffs the field (which is the criticism you are talking about). He'd still be a starter seeing a majority of the snaps. You are making it sound like all-or-nothing again.

(If your point is that Tomlin hasn't found the optimal workload to not wear down the starters, still keep back-ups sharp, and develop rookies, I'll agree with that.)

Blount was getting around 20-50% of the rushes that Bell was getting, so not the same situation. And he was unlikely to garner fan sympathy as a former NE player who was around less than a season, and was smoking in the car with Bell when they were pulled over (not a good influence).

I had more sympathy for Matavis. He was "venting" to his WR coach about his playing time, not to the media or the public. Then reporters & fans got wind of a rumor, starting giving him **** for those rumors, and the whole thing blew up.

• Like Like x 1
  25. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Can people stop with "it's a business" It doesn't apply to this situation. We gave James a pass for going to Cincy because they paid him very well and what he was worth when the Steelers couldn't. It was understandable. He got 59k for joining the Patriots. He could have made that x100 with a job with the Steelers, events, signings, etc. It was a move out of spite and if how the two are acting towards each other doesn't confirm that then I don't know what to tell you.

• Disagree Disagree x 1