1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Would they?

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by mac daddyo, Apr 14, 2018.

1. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I agree. IMO the only positions I can get on board with in the 1st are the ones you mentioned. RB and WR from the 2nd on....TE and CB are low priority for me. You can say well what if so and so gets hurt. You could basically say that about any position but if either Davis or Burnett gets hurt look what's behind them...and if VW or Bostic gets hurt ,we saw what we have last year. I think we have decent depth at OLB and a healthy Adams may also provide a boost. With that being said the Dupree situation is a factor and in today's NFL besides having a franchise QB ,a great pass rush can have the biggest impact. If we can target a difference maker at OLB we can save money and upgrade Dupree.

2. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I like Vance, I really do, but over his career, he has not shown the ability to stay healthy.

And JJ is not a #1.

I'm not really for taking a TE at #28, but if we took Goedert, it wouldn't be soul crushing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Just asking because I haven't looked at Goedert but is he a better prospect as Shaheen last year because he was a 2nd round pick and only managed 12 receptions for the season. I just don't see the impact or value in a 1st round TE in our current team needs....

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I am glad you said this cause when I talk about this same thing about Vance people crush me. When healthy he is very good but when is he healthy and we always have to hold our breath to worry about him.

5. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    As for Vance, I think it was @mac daddyo who was mentioning him that draft year. I hadn't watched Rice games but I liked what I saw from him. Then in SF I saw the occasional highlight of him breaking long TDs. I think he is a mid tier TE when healthy, but he has missed alot of games in his career. I do like Grimble as a #3 but if Vance gets hurt we lose alot to our TE game.

As for Goedert vs Shaheen, they are different types of TE. Shaheen was a jumbo sized TE, 6'7 280 who happened to be a fantastic athlete. Short term I though he would be a great red zone threat. He is raw but I thought over the long term, he could develop into a top 5 TE given his size and athleticism.

As for Goedert, to me he is Travis Kelce. Same size. Same athleticism. Same movement and ball control skills. Same attitude and swagger (although hopefully less of a knucklehead).

Shaheen's success will come down to his chemistry with Trubisky. I think the fact Trubisky and Shaheen came in together should lead to a great duo. Much like Ben and Heath (similar age, came into the league 1 year apart. )

I think both will be stars in the NFL.

• Like Like x 1
  6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    We are looking at the offense as it was under Haley. We haven't seen how or what players fichtner likes to use yet. Having a better blocking TE could go a long way in his offense. Let me rephrase that, a second good blocking TE. Hawkins wasn't all that good as the additional blocker as we saw. When McDonald is down it hurts this offense make no mistake. We don't have that type of player behind him. We also like those two TE sets. Eli out and Hubbard gone has to hurt some. Add McDonald on the sidelines and it weakens the offense even more. We have to keep that side of the ball strong, it stirs the drink.

OLB could be a need down the road but I don't think it is a Rd.1 need this year. ILB could be a need but we have two starters and a good backup that is healthy now. We need a move LB. I'm not sure S is a first Rd. need right now. DT is not a 1st Rd. need either. :cool:

7. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I think any position is up for grabs in the first, except DL and WR imo. Tomlin made his "our TEs are playing high school level" comment so there was some frustration in that positional grouping last year. McDonald is great when healthy, but there's that asterisk. We've all heard it before, KC signs these guys in FA so there are no gaping holes come draft time.

With that said, I'd rather they not go TE in the first, but go defense.

8. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    The problem is that there isn't another TE in the draft that can block and be as dynamic as McDonald is.
    I've seen the blocking ability from the TEs in the draft rated from poor to terrible. That is what makes McDonald so effective in a offense like ours. He is a threat in the run game(blocking) and that opens up a lot of options because of that. I've read a boatload of scouting reports from almost all the reputable sites and they are saying that Hurst is the best TE but nowhere near the blocker McDonald is.

There's plenty of guys on the team where we need to hold our breath they don't get hurt. I don't see a 1st round TE that can fill our needs and have a big enough impact on the team if McDonald gets hurt. We still have Grimble as well and he seems to really have improved his blocking and is athletic enough to get down the field. He has shown flashes and just needs more opportunity. TE would be a reach and unnecessary in the 1st...on the offensive side of the ball I would take a WR to prepare for the loss of Eli and departure of Bryant next season before a TE and I would even take a RB depending on the Bell situation before a TE. IMO there aren't any TEs well rounded enough where you can say ok he's our TE for the next 10years(Heath).

The way I see it is we are thin pretty much everywhere. So we can look to draft any position really. I just see TE towards the bottom of the list mostly because I don't see top prospects(well rounded) enough to warrant a 1st round pick. If we were looking for strictly a receiving threat from the position I could see it but it seems like we value blocking before receiving. That's why McDonald is a perfect fit....
    For me personally I'm not going to look at our FA pick ups as a answer to 2 of our most glaring weaknesses on defense. There is basically no proven talent behind Davis and Burnett....Wilcox,Berhe,,Dangerfield?
    The same can be said about ILB...Fort? I like Dirty Red but even before he got injured he wasn't awe inspiring. I don't know man.....if one of our starting Safeties or ILBs goes down I'm pretty sure we're not gonna be saying I'm sure glad we picked a one dimensional TE.....

Whatever happened to that TE McGee that was a great blocker last preseason I think it was? I think he almost made the team...

9. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I'll ask because I don't know for sure....was McDonald that good of a blocker in San Fran? They went after Ladarius Green because he was a move TE and I feel the same could be said for McDonald. Was the blocking an extra that he improved on here, or was he pretty good for the 49ers too. I never really watched them.

10. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Can't say I watched him first hand in SF but I know he didn't get that good overnight. He is a really good blocker...and he's a competitor I will never forget that hustle play last year. I love that kind of stuff....

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    McGee is on the practice squad.

• Like Like x 1
  12. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    If we took Goedert #28 it would be crushing to me, because I will need a new tv :roflmao:.

• Like Like x 1
  13. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    :lolol: that dude from the Bears ever get back on the field after that one.

14. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    :lolol:
    I've been there with other positions and prospects before.

Goedert isn't at the top of my list but as I've said I'd be ok with it. I think he would come in essentially as TE1. MacDonald has shown promise but certainly has no lock on the starting gig.

15. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

I respect your response and your opinion and I agree with what your saying. I do want to say I am not calling for a TE in the first my guy right now is S Reid that is who I want. I will say I have no problem with a TE in the first as well, but I can say the same about many positions RB, WR, OLB, ILB.

While I agree Vance is a good blocker but let's not forget he is a big receiver as well. The way the NFL is going it is all about airing it out and let's face it there is a big drop off from Vance to JJ and I like JJ. With that said a guy like Goedert could be a very nice addition, jmo. I worry about how much time Vance could miss, he missed a lot of time this past year and having another weapon in the waiting could not hurt. I agree injuries happen but who on this team has a injury history like Vance?

As for the 2 glaring holes I feel we did a great job at fixing them also we let a few guys go as well to help them. Let's not forget we have some new coaching as well, now do I feel we need to add more players there heck yeah. I feel S is a deep class and unlike some I like these ILB's a lot as well. You don't need a 1st round guy to fix a problem and with 20 of our 22 starters coming back this is a great year to truly go BPA. :thumbs_up:

16. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    [​IMG]

Bells been a stud since hes gotten here in 2013. The line had Adams and Gilbert then before Gilbert found his game. They were not a very good line then.

Munch didnt come on board until 2014, took a couple seasons before they resembled what they are now. His second season he rushed for more yards and more receiving yards then any other season here. The line certainly wasnt this good then.

I hate Bells attitude and how greedy he is being but he's an enormous talent and will still be very successful after he leaves here. Its a shame he is being so unreasonable.

I think the only team that could kill his game is the Browns :lolol:

• Like Like x 1
  17. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I agree Blast but also what I think is Ben Bell and AB all help each other. Oh you want to double AB ok here you go Bell.....oh single AB to stop Bell ok here you go AB. This is one of the reasons I have felt the way I do about Bell. I agree he is being greedy but as long as we are getting our numbers meaning wins I am fine with it, but we are at a point where enough is enough with the contract demands and that is why I want a replacement this year.

18. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Can't say first hand because I did nothing on Goedert but from what I've read there are scouts that are questioning his ability to separate at this level...I think it was Blast who mentioned something similar. He is pretty much strictly a receiving threat and if his ability to seperate is even a question ,he has me worried. I agree with the BPA outlook but I just can't see this years TE class having someone who meets that criteria. I honestly don't see enough targets to go around to warrant a first round pick who can't block....the allure of McDonald and the reason why he can be a factor in the passing game is because he can block thus he is on the field for more of a opportunity. We still have Grimble who deserves a chance and Jake McGee on the PS... I agree on the coaching I have high expectations...

19. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I'm just trying to look at it as the Steelers are, not my likes of a position or player. They have been looking at a lot of these top TEs. Maybe it won't be in the first but the guys they have been checking out are in that range. I'm trying to gauge each position and who they are looking at and where those players are ranked to be selected. There are always a few surprises though. I'm still pretty set on Edmund's. He may be somewhat of a reach but not really if he fits the bill. He is a guy that can help sure up the run defense and the pass defense, so is it a reach really?:cool:

20. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    Terrel Edmunds is the 1st? I like the guy, but that would be like taking Artie Burns in the 1st. ;)

21. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Not sure about that. He does a lot of things well. Has size has speed and has a boat load of experience on the field. He played 3 different positions in the DBackfield. If he was at just one he would be ranked better. Many of the site's hold that against players. He played them all well for the hokies. I think he's well worth the 28th pick for what he can do for us.:cool:

22. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I haven't done much on the TE's I am going by what I read and when a guy is catching 72 and 92 balls the last 2 years how much is he being asked to block? With that said I am not saying he is a blocker I am just pointing out opinion vary. I am also talking about adding another weapon, we have Vance and if he goes down we will need another weapon. JJ, Mcgee and Grimble are not that.

TE is not high on my first round list but if things fall right and a TE is the Steelers BPA and they draft one(not just talking about Goedert) I would be fine with it. I am thinking anything is possible and just about any position.......

23. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    OK, we have covered TE so let's move on to another scenario the Steelers may be kicking around.

Tough draft class to find that it guy out of at 28.
    Would the Steelers go CB and actually move sutton and Allen to safety? Or get one of these corners and move them to FS? :cool:

24. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    If Alexander or Hughes are available at #28, be tough to pass on them. I know we already have Burns and Haden on the outside with Hilton locking down the slot with Sutton as the #4.

But IMO, either Alexander or Hughes have the ability to be a #1 CB.

25. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    And that's assuming Isaiah Oliver is off the board already. The guy reminds me of Nnamdi Asomoghua.

He seems to be underrated by draft sites but I doubt GMs and coaches are overlooking him.