1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Would they?

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by mac daddyo, Apr 14, 2018.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Go TE in the first? Throw a monkey wrench into all of our thinking. They have looked at a lot of them. :cool:

2. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I really believe with the signing of Burnett and Bostic you can't rule out almost any position. I feel DT is deep so maybe throw that out but ILB-OLB-S-CB-RB-WR-QB are all in play if the right player is there.

3. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Agreed with NY.

The signings we have made have given us flexibility. We aren't locked into a positional need.

Burnett is a legitimate NFL starter. I doubt we can bring in a safety who will start over him.

Bostic has been kicked around the league, but he has put up 2 legitimately great season in his career and is an excellent cover LB.

I think if either LVE or Evans are available, that will be the pick.

If they are gone, then it is wide open. I just don't see us going S at #28.

I've talked about Dallas Goedert for the past couple of months. I think he is the best weapon at TE in the draft. I think he is a legit 1st round talent. Before he got hurt at the Senior Bowl, he was putting on a clinic.

Even though I think Anthony Miller would be worthy of picking at #28, I'm not sure if others are as sold as I am.

Will Hernandez is a beast at OG and I'm really not sure if he is all that far away from Quenton Nelson. Hernandez was impressive at the combine and has amazing tape. Our run game would be a true force and would probably be successful despite who the RB is.

Could be some good Corners on the board at #28 as well.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I latched onto Goedert early but have since cooled. I have doubts about him getting separation at the next level.

Would not spend a first rd pick on any of the TE's in this class. I tend to lean towards Gesicki but again, not in the first.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    Is this "cooling" because you watched more tape and didn't like what you saw, or the fact he got hurt and missed more of the Sr Bowl, Combine and Pro Day?

Even though it is a disappointment that Goedert and some other guys (Evans) didn't run a 40 at all, I find alot of people are dismissing really good players because of no 40 info.

I do believe Heath Miller never ran a 40 either.

6. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Agreed. Even though admittedly I've done nothing on the TEs I couldn't get on board with one in the 1st Rd.
    I don't really see a clear cut 1st round WR either....Ridley may be the most talented but how do you really know when Bamas QB play is so bad...If we had to pick a WR in the 1st I would probably gamble on Ridleys athleticism over the rest but I really like DJ Moore he seems like another JUJU with a touch more speed and great open field RAC.Theres talent to be had at WR later too....agree though nothing is probably out of the question.

7. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    In all honesty, unless you are a cornerback or wide receiver, 40 times usually mean very litte. High emphasis on usually. Other forms of testing, like the three cone, short shuttle, 10 yard split and other athletic tests are more important; position drills doubly so.

Tape is generally the best indicator; that prospects personaility and character traits soon thereafter. Analytics such as the Nike pSPARQ are still more of indicators than actual tools but said form of data research has been getting progressively better since its inception in 2009.

Now, that being said, as my good buddy mac daddyo alreadly exclaimed, this draft truly leaves nothing to chance. Heck, given that it is likely Bud may not receive his fifth year option, I would not be surprised if someone like Lorzeno Carter or Sam Hubbard are options; Jarie Alexander no less.

• Like Like x 1
  8. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Correct on Heath....Definitely agree about the 40s.Very overrated.....while it's nice to put it on paper, the agility drills are more important. The 10 sec split is probably a better indicator of football speed as well. You have to remember that these guys are only training for these exercises a couple months,things they don't normally do. Great you run fast in a straight line ,it's great for WRs and RBs but for the other positions, not so much. It would take at least a year or two of training to maximize your speed and guys get bigger and stronger as they develop in the league. A guy like Evans didn't run a 40 and the only reason it's a big deal is the reason why he didn't. That's the question that need to be answered not what his time would actually be....
    Turn on the tape and you can see the speed that he plays at. With all the scouting they do they can put the tape on and time his point A to point B and determine his or any others football speed ,in a few seconds.....

• Like Like x 1
  9. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Any thoughts on mark Andrews. I see him with a 1st round grade. We did go look at him early on in the process. I do like baugh from oh.St. he was my original TE pick for us. The kid from Indiana isn't to bad either and the old stand by fumagalli. None of the latter are 1st rounders. 2 good blocking TEs could be a plus in fichtner O. I still am a grumble fan though. Not sure where a new one fits right now, but wouldn't rule anything out from Colbert and co. They can tend to surprise at times.:cool:

• Like Like x 1
  10. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I don't get why fans are so enamored with players on offense at #28, in the playoff loss to the Jags the defense gave up 38 pts :facepalm:. Draft as much depth as you can on defense, their offense is just fine they scored 42 points in the playoff loss that should be enough to win a game. One of the reasons the Eagles won the SB is because they had depth on the DL. Even if the Steelers signed Burnett and Bostic they aren't longterm answers, they need some young studs to back them up.

11. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I wouldnt dismiss a player for no 40 although I do believe its important if your looking for a seam TE. Goedert tested well in other areas though and has good explosiveness as his broad jump shows, 10'1".

Its more of a me problem and my untrained eye for route running. The more information I took in on him, the more I saw people down on his routes and concerns about gaining separation at the next level. Hes coming from a small school so talent level is going to be a big jump for him. I certainly wouldnt hate spending a pick on him after the first but no way at 28. Theres a lot to like about him, Im just uncertain about that one area.

And TE's. You have to apply the right tests to the right positions. A 40 time on a QB is useless.

Theres a sticky thread I made that shows the results and what tests to look for at all the positions.

12. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Yeah TEs too......but It didn't stop them from drafting Heath. Someone made a good point don't remember where I read it but most if not all the time the schools have their guys run 40s in the beginning of the year...it's not like if guys don't run at the combine or pro days there is no evidence of what they can do. Plus like I said guys who have plenty of tape a lot can be gleaned off of that...

13. Steelers113

Steelers113 Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2017
    I think his ability to split wide and go up and get it are bonus enough.

14. Steelers113

Jul 31, 2017
    Still I dont think you reach for a defensive player if hes not worth the pick. If some of the top def prospects are gone you have to be prepared to to take a skilled position even if its not of need.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Still an important indicator regardless where you get the time from. Seam TE vs possession TE.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. TheMatrixHasYou

TheMatrixHasYou Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2018
    There should be a very good TE available at #28 but we traded a 4th round pick for Mcdonald and our offense is already one of the best in the NFL.

Move down and draft defense.

17. Steelers113

Jul 31, 2017
    I agree, but the steelers dont ever trade out of the first. I mentioned my concern with that in another post today.

18. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Didn't the eagles give up 33? We don't have a couple of parts of those 42 points and if you want to talk about depth on defense you also have to keep it on offense. We will be losing a couple more of those offensive parts by next season too. It works on both sides of the ball. This offense is aging. Neglecting it for just depth on defense will come back to haunt us. I think the team is smarter than that.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Steelers113

Jul 31, 2017
    I think they traded for a rb too

20. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    What do we do if Bell goes down? How about Bryant? Can all these draft picks carry us on the defensive side of the ball? Doubtful. You better have some studs in reserve on both sides of the ball.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I totally agree with your 2 posts here, people want to keep talking about defense which we need but we still need offense. I would love to grab a RB in the first 3 rounds(KJ, Penny, Ballage) for a couple reasons. One we have our replacement for Bell next season and he would have a year under his belt to learn from Bell. Two if Bell does go down imo we don't have a RB on the roster with the same skill set as Bell, would we be ok IDK. What I do know is with a RB of the same skill set it would be easier on everyone, mean if Bell goes down there would be more pressure on AB, Juju, Vance and Ben.

I could see us going RB and WR in the first 3 rounds if some of the guys we want go higher and some of these other guys fall. I am ok with that cause IMO the S class is deep and I also feel different than most about the ILB class. I feel guys like Worley, Cabinda, Smith, McCray, Burks, Warner, Avery and Young all could be solid picks in rounds 3-5 and won't have to come in right away to start.

just because we are good on one side of the ball mean we forget about the other. I agree we need help on D but I also believe we already got help in FA and by letting guys go. I want defensive picks as well but I also understand we have to keep the cupboards stocked on the other side especially with the potential losses of Bell and MB next season.

22. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    I agree with the notion we should be grabbing a couple of offensive guys.

I am opposed to taking a RB in the first 3 rounds.

Bell will play this year and if healthy should play well. He will be playing for that big pay check in FA.

We took Conner in the 3rd last year and he had an avg of 4.5 yards, better than Bell's 4.0. Conner can make our run game work. What we need is a receiving threat out of the backfield to compliment Conner. I think we can get this guy either in the 5th this year or wait until next year.

Bell is a very good RB. He can do it all. But can anyone say with a straight face that alot of his success isn't due to our Oline? We have a top 3 Oline. It is a major factor to our overall success.

IMO, when Bell leaves, he will get paid big money, but he will never have the success that he has had here in Pittsburgh because he will probably go to a team with a lesser Oline and a lesser QB.

I say we ride with Conner as our primary back and get that receiving threat out of the backfield either by draft or FA.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  23. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Well if they need depth on offense draft it later in the draft, the only losses on offense are Eli and Hubbard. A TE in the first round is dumb, they still need a OLB, ILB, S, DT and they have no 4th rd pick.

24. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    We need depth help everywhere but you do have to ask yourself, who can make the biggest impact in 2018.

ILB, yes.

OLB? I doubt it.

S? I'm not so sure. Burnett was a quality pickup.

DT? Minimal at best.

RB? Nah.

WR? Maybe, if we traded Bryant.

TE? Absolutely.

25. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    A TE will have a bigger impact than Vance, I doubt that. I don't see any player on offense having a impact from this draft. Draft picks on defense will get in the rotation, and offer more impact.