1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Trading Back

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Steelers113, Apr 14, 2018.

1. Steelers113

Steelers113 Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2017
    I dont even know when the last time the steelers traded back in the draft was, but could this be a good year to do so?

Lets say evans and LVE and Guice are gone. Would they consider it especially since they are already out a fourth round pick.

I just don't want to see the steelers reach..even if a player is high on your board you should know where they are expected to go. Burns is a good example of a player i think we could have got later. Now i know it takes two to make a trade but they fact that they rarely do it makes me wonder if they even try.

2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    The last official time the Steelers traded out of the first round was in 1967. It has been 51 years since. Do not count on it.

As for your second statement, Artie Burns actually finished out the year a lot better than some of us were giving him credit for. He still technically is not there yet in his development of the principles and fundementals; both of which Bradley will ensure he reiterates during training camp.

Finally, very seldom does Pittsburgh overreach in the draft. I doubt this year will be any different sans the crazy trades that will likely take shape in the early to mid portions of round one and make every teams draft boards look like spaghetti.

3. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Take Bates if Evans and LVE are gone, we need a safety who can play single high.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. Steelers113

Jul 31, 2017
    Regardless of how Burns has played would you not agree we reached for him according to his projected draft position?

5. steelcityclash

steelcityclash Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2018
    Ya I def don’t believe he was our target and I think we drafted based off of need and panicked when cinci drafted Jackson. We overreacted at rumors Seattle wanted him, I don’t think that rumor was ever confirmed to be true.

I like him but not sure he’ll ever be a number one.

Steelers value the fifth year option. Too valuable to trade out o& the first.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

No I do not. Realistically, 2017 technically was his "fourth" official season of playing cornerback; someone like Vernon Hargreaves III being in their "fifth".

He led all rookie corners that year with the most TD's given up but also the most interceptions. The Steelers got what they wanted in Burns thus far.

Any form of "replacement" talk should be more focused on Joe Haden as his cap hit next year is astronomical. More than likely, Cameron Sutton should be ready by then to assume the starting position.

7. steelcityclash

Mar 25, 2018
    Do you think Burns will ever be a number one?
    If they draft a cb at one, I think it’s safe to say The pressure to keep Haden next year drops and they’re unsure if anyone on the team will be a one.

Sutton has only played a half a season at cb, also do they plan to make him a safety, Allen is still a question mark, Burns regressed and was at risk of losing his starting job if 1. Haden didn’t get injured and 2. we had another cb who was further developed and showing starting caliber competitiveness.

I think you draft any player in round one hoping that they become a number one. With Burns regression, I don’t think anyone, including the Steelers are all in on Burns development. Remember, Burns was their first attempt at drafting a First round cb in how many years? They may have figured out what they’re looking for in a cb better now than two years ago.

8. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Few draft upset me more than the 2016 draft, especially picks #1 and #2.

Few of us were on the Artie Burns bandwagon and I think most of us had Xavien Howard from Baylor as a better prospect than Burns. I even had Mackenzie Alexander ranked ahead of Burns.

As for the 2nd round, I was hoping for Su'a Cravens but he went a few picks before us. IMO the Sean Davis pick came out of nowhere. I had him more in the day 3 category. I liked Vonn Bell alot more. He is starting but ultmately hasn't hit his stride yet. Same with Darien Thompson. But look at Kevin Byard. 8 INTs last year and went to the pro bowl.

The more I want a natural Centerfield type of FS the more I wonder if Davis can hold up at SS. I don't think he can. It might be best to move him to FS and let Burnett/draft pick go at SS. Davis is a great athlete but a poor football player.

9. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    you like Bates over Reid...just curious

10. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I would be happy with either one, Reid played all 4 positions in the secondary at Stanford. I like Bates because I hear scouts say he projects as that single high safety.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  11. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    There'd have to be a big gap in how they have their board rated and who is available for them to trade back imo. That's the thing with the BPA philosophy, there are going to be several prospects available who are also rated highly on their board.

12. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    I hated that draft too.

13. Emperor Lebaeu

Emperor Lebaeu Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2013
    I suspect that last year the steelers organization made a change from how they were making draft decisions over the past few years. Last year looks to me like a more traditional steelers approach to drafting. So, while I would like them moving back, the chances are slim.The good news is I don't think they will go for a reach like when they drafted Burns, and will go with the best LB, S or OL. LVE or Evans look like good candidates.

14. Steelers113

Jul 31, 2017
    I do not think Bates is a first round talent.

• Agree Agree x 5
  15. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Do I think the Steelers will trade back pretty much no do I want them to yes. I feel this draft is pretty much like last years draft where rounds 2-4 are full with talent. Us not having a 4th hurts but we did only drop back 14 spots and have two 5th rounders.

I also feel this is going to be a crazy draft with record number of trades. Now with all them trades does that mean some teams will be missing out on a player they wanted? Let's say the clowns want to get back into the bottom of the first round they have the picks and it isn't like we would be moving back a ton. Let's say a player like Rudolph is there and one of the top teams miss out on a QB, that could be good for us to gain more picks. Like I said it probably won't happen but I would love to see it.

16. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    The packers traded their 29th pick last year which put us in position to get watt, so if the price is right and we can pick up a couple of day two picks it might be worth it but like you say it probably wont happen but in this years draft anything is possible...........

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. steelcityclash

Mar 25, 2018
    Me either. I would not be surprised if he’s there for us in the second or lasts into the third. I think a run on cbs will push many safeties down.

18. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    I am pretty confident Bates will be there for us at 60. Reid, not so much.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. coldrolled

coldrolled Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Pick the BPA at 28. There is a reason why we pick 28th and lower every year right?

20. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    they may be gun shy after last year just missing out on some safeties. i think they may pull the trigger early this year. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Last year I wanted Josh Jones and freaking Green Bay took him the pick before us in the second round.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I was all over Utah's Marcus Williams...he went to the Saints and other than one bad play in the playoffs had an excellent rookie year.

• Like Like x 1
  23. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I think one thing that needs mentioning is the strength of the draft class. I feel this class is average to weak and trading back will only be a further detriment. If this was a strong class I would feel the extra picks gained would be put to good use. I don't think that is the case this year. Some positions are strong but not the ones where we have glaring needs. I would have to vote for staying put or moving up 5 spots or thereabouts (early 20s).

24. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I was too, lost alot of respect for him in that playoff gaffe.

25. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I really don't feel this way, while last year's draft was loaded I feel this draft is not bad. I feel like a lot of the attention is all on the QB class(which could be the best is a long time) so many don't talk about the other prospects. I feel the 1st round talent isn't there this year but in rounds 2-4 this draft is loaded. I feel QB, DT & S are the deepest-loaded positions in this draft, but I also feel that positions like RB, TE, ILB, CB & WR are lacking star power up top but have some very nice players in rounds 2-4 with a lot of potential.

Don't get me wrong I am not saying this years class is better than last years but I will say I feel rounds 2-4 could provide some really nice ball players who have a chance to be long time starters in this league. :smiley1:

• Agree Agree x 1