1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Penguins

Discussion in 'Other Sports Talk' started by Lizard72, Apr 10, 2016.

1. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    They are still not quite ready to make a run for the cup but they are close. I hope they get home ice advantage in the first round and can continue to get back to playing like they can and need to for the 3-peat.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
  2. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    The Pens need to go into Columbus and play a solid game to get the 2 points Thursday night. If they don't, I think they might get eliminated from the playoffs early. Home ice advantage is more important this year than ever before.

3. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    They won and got the 2 points in a sloppy game. They still need to win tomorrow night to wrap up the number 2 spot in the division.

4. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    Seems like we have been here before (the last 2 years) going into the playoffs with the goal being to win the Stanley Cup. They start with the Flyers who they have owned this year although that doesn't mean much now. I think the way they recovered from such a lousy start this year says a lot about this team. Now it is playoff time and everyone for the Pens needs to turn it up a notch and make a strong shot for the 3 peat. Murrey needs to get his game together and play some better hockey in goal. If that happens they should be fine.

5. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    The Pens finished the regular season with 3 of the top ten point scorers. That is a pretty awesome offense to compete against. Too bad the defense doesn't match the offense, but if the offense doesn't miss a beat the Pens have a great shot at winning their third Stanley Cup in a row. It all starts tomorrow night. I won't be too surprised if they lose the first game of the series against the Flyers but I think the Pens win the series in 6 games.

6. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Rolling 4 lines helped them get those Cups. The centers they had were key, because when Crosby and Malkin were struggling, those guys made the other teams have to try and match.

They couldn't and the Pens won those series.

7. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    It would be nice if the Pens don't come out flat tonight after 4-5 days off. It seems like that is what happens this year. They need to remember this is the playoffs not just another regular season game. Regardless of the outcome of tonight's game I still feel good about the Pens winning the series in 6 and heading off to play the Caps.

8. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    Well the Pens didn't come out flat. Might not even take 6 games to win this series.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    It looked like the Flyer's game plan was to just headhunt around the rink. They forgot that offense and defense are also important. Just hope the Pens can quickly end the first round without major injury, get some needed rest and then dazzle in round 2.

10. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    The best thing about last night, outside of the complete domination by the Pens, was the way Murrey played. He is getting some of his swagger back and him playing anywhere near his capabilities is very bad news for any team trying to stop the 3-repeat.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Second best for me was watching Don Cherry have to sputter and grouse about Sid''s first goal because it was way better than anything the Jets did in their game. Lol priceless

12. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    The game tonight should be a closer game but I think the Pens win. They need to be up by 2 games going into The game Sunday.

• Like Like x 1
  13. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    It's all about weatherING that initial storm because Philly will.be hitting early in an attempt to up their physical game.

14. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    Shows what being over confident can do to a team. Pens certainly didn't deserve to win. They still should be okay in this series. They just need to keep their heads out of their ass.

15. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    I was so excited all day but my plans for a great Friday night went down the drain in a hurry - both Pens and Buccos on at same time with both on a roll and against much weaker opponents. DVR'd both and then waited a spell so I could blast through commercials for both games. I ended up blasting through the games and watched the commercials. What a disappointment on both fronts. The Pirates looked jet-lagged but not sure the Pens excuse other than maybe being over-confidant as you pointed out Fan. :facepalm:

16. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    One other thing is that the Pens had beaten the Flyers 5 in a row. They were do for a let down and to drop a game. Hope it is only 1 game and not 2.

17. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    I don't feel very confident about the Pens winning today, but I hope they do.
    They need to win one of the next two games in Philly to regain the home ice advantage.
    I don't think that is all that important, but any advantage you can get is a positive.

18. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    That looks more like the repeat Stanley Cup champions. Crosby just kills the Flyers.
    I think Crosby really wants to be the first team in a long time to win three in a row.
    Murrey came back with a strong game. If the Pens win Wednesday night it should be
    over in 5 games. The only thing that can stop them is an injury to Crosby, Murrey, etc.
    It is fun to watch most of the talking heads STARTING to realize the Pens are for real in their quest for the 3-peat and these are the people that are supposed to know what they are talking about
    What a joke.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    I thought it was funny watching them talk about how expansion teams aren't supposed to be there as well.

Hmm, pick from these players that the other teams want to keep, but we made it so they can't protect them all. We don't know whether the expansion team has a solid foundation until we see their draft class, their minor league development and how well they do with the salary situations 5 years down the road.

We saw it with Jacksonville and Carolina when they were brought in as well. They did great then fell off for a few years. Every expansion team has reasonable success except the Browns...

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    funny reading these comments and I agree.

I was happy pens repeated and was not expecting anything this postseason because of the losses to the team.

BUT, it just shows you this team when they are ON THEY ARE ON. When they click they can't be stopped.

true dynasty and I am glad I am witnessing it. I hate living in texas, I want to be in pittsburgh with my steelers/pens and buccos are my 2nd behind cubs haha

21. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Well I guess Jagger and Richards were right after all: "No Expectations" - had very diminished expectations Sunday with the Bucs and Pens after a disappointing Friday but...................they both kicked royal a$$. Maybe this is the key to a happy life - quit with the high expectations and take what comes, when it comes. :shrug: Nah...that's no fun. :drinks: :dancing:

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    I'm glad the Caps beat Columbus last night. I didn't want that series to end too quickly and give either of those two teams extra rest before the next series with the Pens. The Pens will have home ice advantage if they play Columbus. Crosby needs to continue on his mission and the Pens need to keep scoring a lot of points. We are not at the 3-peat yet but we can see it from here. A couple of tough teams in the play offs but the Pens are picking up momentum and getting better themselves. It should all work out fine.

23. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    Another dominate game by the Pens. They are getting stronger and should win Friday night. The Flyers are totally out matched.

24. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    Time to put the Flyers away tonight. Caps and Blue Jackets are 2-2 so the Pens will get a little rest before beating either of those teams.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    Pens let that game slip away from them. I guess I'll stick with my original prediction.
    Pens win the series in 6 games. Tomorrow afternoon the Pens need to wrap it up.