1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Sean Davis

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelers113, Apr 10, 2018.

1. Steelers113

Steelers113 Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2017
    We all know Davis has struggled this far in his career.

Some have suggested moving his to ss, but I don’t think he has the skills to cover if he’s up in the box.

More concerning is if he shows no improvement this year will Tomlin take action. I understand he’s a second round pick and that he’s still young, but Tomlin seems to have a thing for “his guys”

In the end Davis will be starting next year but I hope the coaching staff doesn’t ignore his struggles during the draft.

2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Sean Davis' issues are due to him overthinking on plays and overpursuing ball carriers. He has the athletic traits to do so but has not grasped the fundamentals and principles of the position to succeed..... yet.

I highly emphasize yet because Tom Bradley is going to see to that personally. It is a long overdue session of "Hard Knocks" for Mr. Davis. Hopefully he will become much stronger by the time the season begins.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. Steelers113

Jul 31, 2017
    Although his combine stats are impressive he hasn’t shown he’s able to play man to man.

Hopefully he can improve in that area but to me he looks stiff and upright all the time.

On paper he looks like a good FS, but has shown lack of smarts. SS may be touch because of his lack of coverage abilities. In the end let’s hope he puts it together, but as I said earlier I just hope the coaching staff isn’t satisfied with the position just because they invested a high draft pick. Seems we tend to give our recent high draft picks a lot of leash.

4. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Another young player I'm not sold on....Yet. I truly hope I'm wrong but I've watched his play and there are issues that just aren't going to be fixed by coaching alone. The major one is the bad angles he takes in pursuit, that is instinct pure and simple and one doesn't learn to correct that, you learn that from the time you are a kid, it is the way your brain works.

Another issue is, and this is speculation, his football knowledge or lack of it. Watch some pass plays that he has to make a read on, I have watched him end up on the wrong side of the field as well as him just standing in the middle of it like a deer caught in the headlights. It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't so painfully obvious he is complexly lost at times.

When they put him in the box and his only job is run support he looks good, that is when you can see the potential. He has the physical gifts to make him a terror on the field but his lack of game I.Q. and pure instincts hold him back. I'm holding out hope Burnett and a new coach can help him better understand what he needs to know to become better as they need to move on if he doesn't improve.

• Like Like x 1
  5. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Bradley could be and needs to be worth his weight in gold if we were going to see the improvements necessary to make this a championship caliber defense. Between position changes and integrating all the young guys we have and potential draft picks, he definitely has his work cut out for him.
    To me the whole Lake scenario is a little sketchy. They say family reasons but I doubt that. Bradley is said to be more of a man to man guy. Maybe they finally realized that Lake wasn't a great teacher of it or good teacher in general. I'm optimistic about Bradley,maybe it's because there's so much to to be taught and to learn.....interesting dynamic to watch for sure. Hopefully with Dunbar as well,whose impact may also be felt during the draft.....when the hell is this thing gonna get here :smiley1:

6. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Here’s where I think some fans are struggling. Ok we have screamed play the young guys, play the young guys. Ok well now we are playing the young guys and actually watching them grow. The Steelers of old Davis would probably be a first year starter this year.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 3
  7. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    You are 100% correct. We got what we asked for.

8. Steelers113

Jul 31, 2017
    I understand he’s young but being the worst safety in the league is pretty bad young or not. I know having Mitchell next to him didn’t help, but I think we still have reason to worry.

9. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    We have been playing him at SS and ideally he plays FS IMO. That is why we brought in Burnett. He has had some growing pains, but I think many forget he actually had a great 2nd half of the year his rookie year. I am sure we gave him some things to work on this summer.

10. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Actually he wasnt the worst SS in the league but ranked at 51 he was far from the top and closer to the bottom, here was the remarks about him at the 51 spot:

1. Davis is likely still having Rob Gronkowski-related nightmares. Pittsburgh's 27-24 Week 15 loss to New England highlighted Davis' yearlong troubles in coverage, as he never seemed comfortable. The 24-year-old was a willing run defender and had no problem making plays around the line of scrimmage. However, he missed far too many tackles: 21, to be specific. Don't be surprised if the Steelers upgrade this position in the offseason.
    Now my question is, if he has a problem in coverage why would they be talking about trying him at free safety???

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Steelers113

Jul 31, 2017
    Obviously a very talented player hopefully he can put it together.

12. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    he did lead the team in interceptions. he led the team in tackles so yea i guess if you are around the ball more there is more chance for missed tackles. he still made more than anyone else. he had 8 passes defended on the year. i'll bet a dollar to a doughnut that is pretty close to the team top too. add 1 sack, 1 forced fumble and 1 fumble recovery and i'd say thats a pretty good year. actually a better year than burnett had. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    The responsibilities are different. He failed against NE due to MAN coverage skills. How often was Mike Mitchell matched up in man with anyone? That may be the reason.

14. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    If we draft a promising safety in the 1st or 2nd there's a real chance that Davis might not be starting after week 5 or 6. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think he will be any better at free.

15. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    I don't see this.
    I don't think the Steelers have ever started a rookie DB that early (outside of Lake??), let alone have things go as smoothly as you are discussing. Even Polamalu didn't start until his 2nd season... The Steelers are getting their draft picks in earlier than the used to, but they will still favor the veteran over an unproven rookie.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Daddymac10

Daddymac10 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015
    Let us not forget Sean Davis was the guy who dropped the potential game ending interception Tom Brady threw to him during that last drive. He catch that ball, Steelers are the #1 seed, we get to face the Titans & the Patriots get the Jaguars. One dropped ball makes all the difference....

17. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Let's also not forget that in the first season he started, people were calling Polamalu a bust (in part because of his missed tackles).

I'm not comparing the two at all - it was clear that Polamalu was something special, but his full tilt approach didn't always meet with success in his first season.

18. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Thanks Mac good read. I feel finally getting rid of Lake and hiring Bradley will change the mindset of not only Davis but the secondary as a whole. Basically we were playing with one safety last season, Davis. I feel he will come into his own. I am more concerned with Dupree and Tuitt and who will be starting next to Williams.

19. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    In Troy's second season he led the team in tackles with 96 (Davis 93). Troy had 1 sack (Davis 1). Troy had 1 FF (Davis 1). Troy had 5 int. ( davis 3). As you can see not a big difference. That is a 2 pick and 3 tackle difference. :cool:

• Informative Informative x 2
  20. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Chad Scott started 9 games his rookie year, but we never made a habit of starting rookie DBs especially under lebeau, lewis, troy in my opinion could have started his rook year but tim lewis wouldnt give him a start being the dumb ass he was..........

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  21. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Stats dont tell the whole story of troy's impact. Davis isnt in his startsophere.

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Maybe not but you cant just decide the ending before the story is told. The stats to this point are saying he's better than most are giving him credit for. I'll bet not to many people thought they would be this close in stats. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Steelers113

Jul 31, 2017
    If he made the first tackle he would t have had the other 2 on the drive.

24. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    ?????:cool:

25. Steelers113

Jul 31, 2017
    A joke about his missed tackles

He made a lot because he was on the field a lot