1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers should rescind Le'Veon Bells Franchise Tag

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by VTSteelerfan, Apr 10, 2018.

1. VTSteelerfan

VTSteelerfan Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2016
  2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Theres no point doing that unless you feel he will be too much of a distraction.

They'll have 14.5 in their pocket but doesnt help them any. What are they going to do with it at this point?

No, might as well take his production and accept that he will tweet the occasional asinine thing throughout the season.

If any move is to be made, work out a sign and trade deal, get Bell on board with it, find a team that is willing to pay him big money in exchange for a 1st rd pick. They do that, Ill drive Bell to the airport.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    You're overlooking a massive element of NFL success: chemistry. Bell not showing up until 1 week before the season starts is a sh-t way to start the season. It's worth far more than you realize. Give me 53 men who are "all in" with a little less talent, then a group who has more talent, but are not like brothers. They don't need the Bell distraction; it is damaging. Todd McShay just came out with his first mock and he has Pgh taking Guice. I say, go for it. Take a S and ILB in 2-3 and see what happens. Plus, that extra 14.5 mill will come in handy. You claim there is no one left worth picking up, but I disagree.

Players still hanging around out there include S Vaccaro and Reid, and CB Boston.

Grow a pair of balls, Pgh. Don't allow this douche to wreck the whole team. Bring in Guice. Bell probably won't even get what Pgh was offering him.

4. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    @Watt Wack those are some bold moves you are proposing on a team not known for bold moves. Dumping the guy that accounted for 30 percent of their total offense, ysing the money to bring in a vet free agent safety in the hopes that they lock up the middle of the field with Burnett and then hope none of the teams in the late teens through mid twenties like Detroit need a 3 down back like Guice or if they do plan B is devalue the position and go by committee ala the Pats on a team where their bread and butter for 40 years has been a punishing run game. That's a lot of dominoes to fall into place.I applaud your bold choices, sim it and let me know how it goes.

5. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    No im not, Ive said in other posts that it affects the team by him not being there. I had a different position on it last year but seeing how it played out, its clear it had a negative impact. That said, didnt hurt the team all that much, just hurt Bells stat line until he hit his stride.

They arent going to sign those players regardless, they've already made their FA additions. Who would they jettison? Their first and second rd picks?

If we're trying to maximize Bens time left, Im not sure rescinding his tag primarily to give him the middle finger is in our best interest.

But give us another 1st rd pick, then Im in.

6. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    I`m ok with him playing this year under the franchise tag, then testing the market next year. It will be a humiliating experience IMO and he will get an attitude adjustment as I doubt anyone will even offer 15 million. If his skills decline this year, he will end up signing in 2019 for even less than he is getting this year.

7. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    True.

The Steelers never really do the Holy $hit didn't see that coming thing. Resending the tag would have to be because they drafted his replacement or arranged for a trade.

I believe the rational is that they are so close to the crown that bringing Bell back is the justification. But this will only be for one year. A waste if they don't win it all. 14.55 would be a nice cushion for next season actually being on the plus side of the cap instead of scrambling to get in compliance pushing more and more money into the future.

I would trade him for a 1st and a 4th. This Offense will still be a Powerhouse.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    Thorn, I agree this team is rarely making bold moves, but this isn't as bold as you may think. And, in my view, their hands are being forced into it. Bell is not being reasonable; he has a history of being selfish and that impacts the team very negatively. And, I am not suggesting this approach because I feel we could really use a safety, that is merely a beneficial byproduct of going this way. I would be fine with heading into the draft with what we have, but since Bell is being a douche, we might as well upgrade the team since we would have the cap space and we know we have the need.

Also, you maybe right in that Guice won't still be there at 29. OK. If no Guice they could go Michel, Jones or Chubb. Or, if they felt like a more special ILB or S is there at 1-29, they could go Kerryon Johnson, Penny or Freeman or Josh Adams a little later.

I honestly feel we would be further ahead, as a team, to move on from Bell, they way things stand now. It's really not that bold, but rather, wise.

9. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    Isn't our winning % the same with or without Bell? Maybe too small a sample size but we can win without him, especially if we add a decent rookie from this draft.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011

I think he’s proven that distraction is his specialty.

11. funkysteelersfan

funkysteelersfan Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2011
    By rescinding his franchise tag, I think (not sure) that the 14.5 million would be allowed to rollover to 2019's salary cap numbers. They also could use that space to restructure some contracts that would give a couple players some extra money this year and give the team even more flexibility going forward. You have to get a RB like Chubb, Michel or Jones first to even consider this course of action.

12. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I realize it won't happen, but my respect for the Pittsburgh Steelers organization would grow exponentially if they figured out a way to show this narcissistic, delusional idiot the door. He's not a team player and he will continue to be a distraction right up until the day he's no longer a Steeler. Our Pittsburgh Steelers were one of the classiest and most successful franchises in all of sport long before Bell got here and they'll remain so long after Belll has run for his last yard in the NFL. Tired of his idiotic crap and more than ready to part company. In fact, I'll have a very difficult time rooting for him this upcoming season and honestly was indifferent to him this past season.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    His 14.5 will be off the books after this year regardless. 1 year contract.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    I say we hang on to him, let him ride the pine, then release him with 3 weeks left in the season after growing tired of his antics and roll the dice he doesn't sign with a playoff contender ;)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Steelers113

Steelers113 Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2017
    Either we sign and trade him or we run his wheels off before sending him away. Win win if you ask me.

Going forward the Steelers better entertain the idea of a committee back. Running backs are short lived and it seems teams are having success having a commitee of backs with a variety of skill sets.

• Like Like x 1
  16. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    They are not rescinding his tag unless they have a replacement. At the moment they don't have that.

17. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    That doesn't sound like a good plan for post season success. The team will lack unity.

18. LambertsDentist

LambertsDentist Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2014
    You're suggesting benching an all pro player for 13 games at almost 1 million dollars per game and then releasing him? Wouldn't it make more sense riding him till the wheels fall off and then collect a 3rd round comp pick in 2020?

I was against tagging him this year, but for some reason Colbert forgot to consult me and tagged him anyway. Now that he's tagged and the free agent market is dried up resinding the draft no longer makes sense. The cap savings from rescinding the tag would have helped the team at the beginning of free agency but that ship has sailed.

Bell will be a Steelers in 2018. Next year he's gone. He knows that a career year in '18 will give him the contract elsewhere that he's demanding. Hope for a great 2018 for him. The more he gets paid next year the higher the comp pick we get for him.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  19. VTSteelerfan

VTSteelerfan Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2016
    Now I saw a mock draft of us taking Derrius Guice and trading Bell away for a player and a pick to the Rams..

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Think back, I think he may have been suggesting deja by.

21. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I think you missed the sarcasm here. Think of another player that was benched for 13 weeks only to be released with 3 games to play in the season. :hmm:

• Like Like x 1
  22. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    And I'm still the only one who laughs at my jokes...guess my humor doesn't translate to message boards either.

23. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Too late now. Should have been done months ago when we could still add a couple vet RBs.

24. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    For what it's worth, it made me LOL. :lolol:

• Like Like x 1
  25. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Why in the hell would the rams trade for bell when they have Todd gurley?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1