1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Turtle Mock 1

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by turtle, Apr 10, 2018.

1. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Very late to the process, but WTH, I'll give it a go.

1. Justin Reid S Stanford. Burnett is an aging band aid. Sean Davis was the 87th ranked S out of 87.

2. Darius Leonard ILB SC State. They got VW98 and a FA add in Bostic but need speed at the position. Leonard is on the smaller side but adept in coverage. Will he last this far is the question... If he's gone I think they go Mike Gesicki TE PSU.

3. Dallas Goedert TE SDSU. Tomlin said the TEs were on a H.S. level last year and McDonalds health is always a concern. If they get Gesicki at 2:60, I like Royce Freeman RB Oregon here.

5A. BJ Hill DT NC State. Need to bring in a run stuffer so they can let Gravedigger loose on passing downs.

5B. Oren Burks ILB Vandy. Draft position all over the board, but 2 years as a safety. An athletic ILB is always in demand.

7A. Brett Toth OT Army. Jerald Hawkins and Feiler could use the competition. Toth has a good floor to grow from.

7B. McKay Murphy DL Weber St. Depth on the def. line.

2. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I don't think LVE is there when we pick and Mason Rudolph is gone by our pick in the second.

3. TheMatrixHasYou

TheMatrixHasYou Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2018

Like the first two picks.

Don't think TE Goedert is going to be available in the 3rd.

Like DT BJ Hill in the 4th.

Love ILB Oren Burks but I think he goes higher than this.

4. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah, no way Goedert makes it to round 3.

5. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I like picks 1, 5a, and 5b.

2 and 3 not so much. I don't see the need for an early round TE, and Leonard isn't one of my favorite LB prospects.

6. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    @turtle You knocked it out of the park with your first 5 picks. Reid is my guy in the first and I like Leonard and Burks a ton. Reading Goedert is a first rounder(Philly) maybe early 2nd and this DT class is very good and Hill is one I like.

As for the last 2 yeah they are 7th rounders but I am not impressed with what I saw from Toth at the end of the year(not sure if it was shrine game or senior bowl) and not crazy about double dipping at DT. Like I said 7th round not gonna complain to much lol and considering you killed it with the first 5 picks I call it a A+. :thumbs_up:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    I like it, turtle. Nice work.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I like it. Sean Davis is not the answer

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  9. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Nice job sticking your neck out with this mock Turtle.....see what I did there:smiley1:. This draft is gonna be a wild ride with so many different directions we can go. A certain position pick in one round throws everything else out of wack.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Leonard is too light, listed at 213 pounds not sure he could hold up at ILB.

11. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I have to agree on Goedert, a late third is way low. You guys have me by 2 months on the research but I'm trying to catch up lol!

As for Burks, he has been tough to place. I've seen him anywhere from round 3 to round 6. Clemson LBer Dorian O'Daniel is kind of the same way. I think Burks would be a steal in the 5th so we'll see.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Yes he is on the lighter side. But Olsavsky himself was 6'1 220 and Leonard is 6'2 213. Shazier was on the lighter side too, around 225 IIRC. And that was the reason I wanted CJ Mosely over Shazier. But with VW98 and Bostic (presumed) as the starters, Leonard doesn't have to come in and man the middle from the get go. KB and staff can use that speed on rush packages and coverages all the while getting him stronger. There is currently no speed at the ILB position.

Colbert has said he's not too impressed with the ILB prospects this year, so look for a early to mid round selection of a guy who can use his wheels. I think he targets ILBs this year with that trait in mind. Hence my Leonard and Burks selections.

I think LVE goes to the Cowboys but if he slipped down to #28, I think they'd go him over S.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  13. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I like Leonard and I have seen his weight bounce all over from 213-234, NFL draft profile compares him to Woodyard which imo is pretty nice.

Long and twitchy with athletic ability and straight-line speed that should light up the combine. Leonard has packed on the pounds since hitting campus, but it hasn't compromised his play speed as he has posted dominant production throughout. He lacks play strength and there are times you want to see more nasty in his field demeanor, but he has the traits and talent to become a good, three-down linebacker who can play 3-4 inside backer or 4-3 WILL.

I thought he did well vs bigger players at the senior bowl and he did open eyes there as this was written about him:

Leonard has been one of my favorite players all week long. He was all over the field again on Saturday, recording a game-high 14 tackles. I liken him to Jaguars OLB Telvin Smith.

• Like Like x 1
  14. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Just to amend for replacing Goedert and to not double dip at DL which was an oversight on my part (although I think McKay would fit at DE)

1. Reid
    2. Leonard
    3. Gotta go offense here. Would love WR Michael Gallup here but think he is gone already. I think this is a good spot for Royce Freeman RB Oregon who I've liked in the past.
    5A. BJ Hill
    5B. Chris Herndon TE Miami. Burks may go higher and they took an ILB in the 2nd. Kid is raw but athletic, as they still look for that receiving threat.
    7A. Toth
    7B. WR Quadree Henderson Give the return teams some love and go local with this Pitt product.

• Like Like x 1
  15. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Still better prospects in the second rd than Leonard, he won't hold up vs the run.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    And the VW98/Bostic combo won't hold up against the pass. Gotta defend both phases.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Bostic and Williams won't be on the field together on passing downs either :shrug:, their draft pick at either ILB or safety will probably be in that role.

18. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Have you seen Leonard play or are you going off his weight alone? What I have seen of he the kid can play and as I posted already it has been reported he has put weight on without it affecting his play.

19. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I watched some of his highlights, I still wouldn't take him in the second round. There will prospects available in the 2nd from bigger schools, if they still needed a ILB in maybe the 3rd then yes.

• Like Like x 1
  20. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I read that Leonard is now up to 234 lbs, that makes up a big difference.

21. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    IDK 2nd round pick 28 isn't far from a 3rd round pick. This kid can play, I didn't watch highlights I watched him play in the senior bowl and was impressed. What I like about the senior bowl is guys like Leonard will play against "bigger" prospects and he showed just cause he was a small school guy that he could play with them. Also I read he played the Senior bowl at 229lbs, I am not worried about his weight I feel the teams will take care of that.

22. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Why are bigger schools better? Ben, AB, harrison, nix, Mitchell, Hargreaves are or were starters in the NFL. Some guys that are good players decide to stay near home and smaller schools for various reasons not just because they were not good enough.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    There are exceptions, but the players from the Power 5 conferences are going to dominate the early rounds.

24. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah the Power 5 is definitely a bonus, simply because you know the level of competition they played against more mirrors the NFL.

But I would never count players out because they came from a small school. Way too many great 1st round picks from small schools are dominating in the NFL.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Thought it was interesting what some sites from other teams said about these players..

1. Justin Reid - a critical one by PFF on a Vikes site
    http://www.1500espn.com/vikings-2/2018/04/vikings-draft-prospect-microscope-stanford-s-justin-reid/

2. Darius Leonard - one by the g-men
    https://www.bigblueview.com/2018/4/...onard-compares-to-harry-carson-2018-nfl-draft

3. Royce Freeman - one from the skins who question his past injuries
    https://www.hogshaven.com/2018/3/2/...to-prove-he-can-remain-productive-and-healthy

5A. BJ Hill - from the Falcons . Steelers had 4 DL in for visits, second most by position. You know they're getting one at some point.
    https://www.thefalcoholic.com/2018/...ns-2018-scouting-report-dt-b-j-hill-n-c-state

5B. Chris Herndon - from the Dolphins who know him well
    http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachp...i-hurricanes-te-chris-herndon-has-big-upside/

7A. After looking up some info on Army's OL Brett Toth, it looks like he may have 2 years of active duty to complete first. So I gotta take him off the list as the team won't spend a pick on someone with a previous commitment imo.
    So I'll go Jemil Demby OT Maine. Some project him higher but I'm hoping the small school stigma lets him fall some.
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ll-steal-the-show-at-the-nfl-scouting-combine

7B. Quadree Henderson - one from Pitt but mentions the Steelers
    https://www.cardiachill.com/2018/4/...rked-out-san-francisco-49ers-cleveland-browns

• Informative Informative x 1