1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Crossover of Pittsburgh Sports fans

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelers89, Apr 1, 2018.

1. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Actually, I rather enjoy watching a WR come running full tilt at the LOS right at the snap!

It's a wild visual!

• Like Like x 1
  2. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

Are they still allowed to tackle in those leagues?

I may switch over soon.

3. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Are you kidding me? Pens give the Steelers a run in the city. Maybe some 3rd or 4th liner would go unrecognized but even they have followings.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    I'm actually a pens fan as well but that's due to Crosby been a fan since he was drafted but I'm also not a big hockey guy. Never have and never will be a pirates fan Yankees all day baby.

5. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    For those claiming to be "big Pens' fans" can you recite the 1st three lines of players and reveal how and when they were acquired, without cheating?

If you can't, you are NOT a big Pens' fan.

I can't do it, thus I KNOW I am not a big Pens' fan, even though I am a "fan" and watch their playoff games.

6. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Pittsburgh born and raised. Fan of the Steelers and Pens, but I start paying attention to hockey when football is over and really start paying attention when the playoffs start. Im not going to claim to be a big fan because even though I love watching hockey, Im not as passionate about the Pens as the Steelers and TBH, 'big fans' would probably call me fair weathered. Thus I do not really participate in hockey message boards or really even discuss hockey in depth with anyone, I just enjoy the game.

The Pirates? F*ck em. I hate them and actively root against them. I wish they'd go 0-162 and move to Anchorage Alaska. I absolutely loved watching them get bounced one and done in the playoffs those 3 years. Almost made me as happy as the Steelers winning a SB. Nothing against the players, I was glad that a stand up guy like McCutchen was able to GTFO of this sh*thole and go somewhere when he has a chance at a title, but I loathe the ownership. I haven't been to a game in almost a decade and when I did go, would wear a Yankee hat as my own way of protesting. I still have it in case Im ever there again. And rather than hitch my wagon to another team, I've written off baseball altogether. I give zero f**ks about the sport.

Why am I so bitter? Because a long time ago baseball was my sport. It was my football now and football was to me what hockey is now. Watched the Steelers and paid attention, but wasn't as into it as I am now until the mid 90s. But long ago back in the 1900s, baseball was it for me. I've got great memories of going to the game as a kid with my dad and watching the Lumber and Lightning crew all the way to the Killer B's as a young adult. Never missed an opening day. But somewhere around 2004 I realized what a fiasco ownership was and realized I was being played for a fool by giving them my hope, support, and money every year. They weren't interested in winning and only wanted my wallet. I left and never came back. BB and the Suckos are dead to me.

Absolutely everyone.

7. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    Lizard I kinda like that too
    Ward, they are allowed to tackle but they ain't going to do it,

8. Spartacus

Spartacus Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Steelers, Pens, and Pirates fan for sure. If Pittsburgh had a professional basketball team, I'd go for them too. Follow all three every single year. I even interrupted my Disney vacation last year to watch the Pens clinch the cup in my hotel room. Kids and wife were not having it.

9. Spartacus

Spartacus Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    I'm with you BobbyBiz, I can't stand the Pirates ownership group and I wish they would sell already. They're like the Bengals of MLB. I too am happy that McCutchen left. Unlike you, I do follow them, just don't go to the games. I live in Texas. Might go see them in Houston though.

10. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    That is a difficult question given how Sully changes his lines even during games but what the heck.

Hornqvist via trade with the Preds for James Neal.
    Sidney Crosby drafted 1st overall after winning the lottery that year after the lockout.
    Sheary free agent signing

Phil Kessel trade with the Leafs one of Rutherford''s first major deals made as GM real kicker was the Leafs retaining some of his salary.
    Malkin draft pick had to sneak away from his Russian team during an away game to join the team when he was ready to play.
    Bryan Rust draft pick one of several WBS baby Pens that made a huge impact during both cup runs.

Hagelin aquired via trade deadline move dude has wheels like nobody's business.
    Geuntzel draft pick originally one of Sid and the Kids with Sheary but moved to 3rd line center this year because of lack of depth at the position behind the big two.
    Tom Kunackle draft pick one of the Baby Pens

Fourth line gets tricky because of the line mixing but here goes

Zach Aston Rease draft pick WBS
    Sheahan trade with Detroit for Scott Wilson wasn't a fan of the deal
    Dominic Simon draft pick.

They aquired Brassard at the trade deadline which allows them to move Jake to whatever line they need, in my opinion it has also taken the pressure off Sheahan.
    Josh Jooris was a trade from the hurricanes who has been helping at center while Brassard works back from injury.

Defensive pairing usually see Letang and Matta together
    Doumolin and Schultz
    Ruhwedhl and Olesiask

Although other than the top pairing Sully has the bottom four move a lot.

Murray has taken over in goal but even though he has two cups on his resume he is very much a work in progress. He still is unsure on his puck handling outside his net and his rebound control especially on his glove side still needs work.

Jarry and DeSmith both got valuable pro minutes this year but still aren't ready for full time work as evidenced by their up and down play during back to back action. Although play from the defense has cost them more games than inexperienced goalie play.

Two biggest misses this year were not finding a way to keep Fluery and not finding a solution for 3rd and 4th line center after losing Cullen and Bonino. The last one caused them to over pay on moves they did make.

Is that enough or do you want more?

For the record I was against the Kessel deal because his attitude was bad where ever he played but he seems to have found the right type of situation for him to thrive. No pressure to lead because that's all on Sid and Geno.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    GO PIRATES PENS AND STEELERS!

12. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I'm born and raised Pittsburgh but left right after HS. When I was growing up the PENS were not around for awhile and the Steelers were not good and the NFL was not near what it is today thus the mighty:) Pittsburgh Pirates have always been the one Championship I want to see before the end but doubt it will happen. I love all three teams but the BUCS are special to me. They were my childhood!!

13. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Braves fan but don't really follow hockey. But I'll root for Bucs and Penguins, knowing most are Steelers fans.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Sheary was a Baby pen call up as well. He was undrafted....

15. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    I think that's what he meant. Pens didn't draft him. WBS signed him then the Pens ended up calling him up. Speaking of which I wish there was like one big thread on the main forum to talk about the Penguins/playoffs. The biggest hockey forum. There's like 5 Pens fans actually from Pittsburgh and the rest is bandwagon/trolls.

16. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    I've been following since Mario days. Left the city in the 80's and moved to Florida, before the age of ala-carte television and internet.

Didn't get to watch much there.

I've had the season pass the last few years, but didn't get to watch many games live since I was overseas and the games came on at either 8AM or 9AM.

Gave it up this year and only catch the few I get through the AFN channels. They do show every Playoff game though. Problem is there's so many games and the teams are really just splitting hairs over the season just to get to the second season.

I remember the Detroit series the second one. I was trying to watch while I was on assignment in Alaska. That was a fun time as there was a local boy on the Pens that they were pulling for IIRC.

17. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Local Alaska or local Pittsburgh? The only Alaskan player on the 09 cup team was Wallace and he didn't have much ice time. If Pittsburgh then that was Ryan Malone the year before they lost him that summer as a FA when Shero was obsessed with Hossa. Hated that they didn't even offer him a deal and it lead to his downward spiral into bad times.

18. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    I live in south Jersey, so I was tainted by Philly sports teams. Growing up, I liked both the Phillies and Pirates. Mike Schmidt was my favorite player, but I was more of a fan of those great Pirates teams (who couldn't get past the *&^* Braves) of the early 90's. I don't follow the Pirates too much any more, because it's hard to catch a game, and I honestly don't even know who's on the team anymore.

And I'm a Flyers fan. :nono: Funny, because my dad is a Pens fan, but I picked up watching the Flyers from my Mom.
    For Basketball, I sort of follow the Sixers.

19. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    I'm not sure, there were a bunch of guys that were pulling for a guy because they said they used to play with him. If I drank more I would have had free beers.