1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Coach Bradley interview

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by dobbler-33, Apr 9, 2018.

1. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
  2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Loved it personally. Stressed tackling, communication and coverage fundementals; all critical points.

Seems like he is just the right personality the secondary needs; not a moment too soon either.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Not to be smart &$$, but isn’t that what every DB coach should say?

Still a nice interview.

4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

They should be no question.

However, the way a coach states it is key. Sure, a defensive backs coach can say those key points for certain. However, the way in which they state it is something different; following through with it no less.

As much as I appreciated Lake, they way he enacted on those principles were... okay. I forsee a much better and bigger change from Bradley.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  5. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I never heard Lake say it :shrug:, and his secondaries sucked.

6. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    I was assuming this would be "Tomlin-ish" and hollow rhetoric, but he actually said some things with substance (paraphrasing):

"I prefer man-to-man, but it's really not that complicated."

I have always thought this: Coaches exaggerate the complexity of scheming to make themselves seem smarter.

• Like Like x 1
  7. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Tomlin said he hired Bradley because he wanted a teacher at DB coach, that's just what this secondary needs.

8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Proof will be in the pudding. I think its foolish to believe Lake didnt stress these things.

What it comes down to is teaching. We'll see if Bradley is more effective at it.

I'm hopeful but have my doubts. The real culprit is the CBA. Miss tackles is a league wide problem.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Lake had one year of coaching experience before he became our DB coach. Bradley is far and away smarter as a coach. Carnell is a smart guy and a good man but he just wasn't experienced enough. The proof will be in bringing along young players. We have a good core of them here now. We have better man players now, so we can do more.:cool:

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
  10. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Here is the thing, was the secondary the coach the biggest problem or is it the players? I know I'm very critical or Artie Burns, but watching him it seems he is always looking to try to jump routes and it is evident he is guessing a lot. The reason it looks that way to me is when you watch all those long pass plays, and most have happened on his side and you actually saw QBs beginning to target him.

He isn't stopping thinking a safety is taking his man, he is biting on PA looking back at the QB or he is peeling off on an inside man that is already being covered. That peeling off is him trying to cut in front of an underneath pass as the slot receiver has someone on him. It makes me wonder if it is coaching or if it is a guy freelancing, and while I like that he wants to make a play, it kind of gets the blood boiling because it hasn't worked, in fact it has lead to long 3rd down conversions and some really long TD passes.

Do you think if we see better secondary play this season, will it be from coaching, having at least 1 better safety, or something else? If we see the same issues can we call it continued poor coaching or will it just be realization that the players just aren't that good, or perhaps another problem altogether? I know 1 thing, it will be interesting to see how this plays out on the field.

11. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    If Bradley can turn Brian Allen into a legit NFL CB, that would be awesome to have a CB with that size contributing.

• Like Like x 1