1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

What's the toughest steelers loss of your life?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by jonnypgh, Apr 4, 2018.

1. tyler christopher

tyler christopher Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2016

No the chargers actually won the division on last game of year against us at home. I believe we had nothing to play for and rested people and they had everything to play for and we still should have won that game. i could be wrong but I am almost positive on why that also added to the shock of losing at home in freezing cold to a warm weather team that just barely beat us with half our team...... Wow, now Im getting mad all over again.....

2. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Last year AFC championship to NE. I was just for sure we could finally beat them as we were full strength then leveon got hurt and that was all she wrote.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    The Chargers were good that year. We never should have lost to them, but it's not like they sucked. Bobby Ross was a great coach, and the Chargers that year were stacked. The Chargers that year reminded me of the 01 Patriots. No one gave them any credit for being any good until they ended up in the Super Bowl. That Charger team still gets no credit because they got there and got mollywopped.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  4. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    They were decent, but not on par with that Steeler team. They had a powerful rushing attack with Natrone Means, and QB Stan Humphries, WR Shawn Jefferson and TE Alfred Pupunu offered a decent passing combination. On D they had Mims (11 sacks), Shawn Lee (6.5) and Leslie O'Neal (12.5) upfront, with the incredible Jr. Seau at LB. Add in Derrien Gordon, Harper and Stanley Richardson in the secondary. The Steelers looked like they were coached by Tomlin - as they underestimated them heading into that game. Word is Eric Green had a party the night before. Not a good look.

5. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    Yeah Eric Green did have a party before. I remember the media saying the Steelers had cut a Super Bowl music video at Greens place. The Steelers version of the Super Bowl shuffle. I guess it never caught on. :facepalm:

6. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    :facepalm::facepalm:

7. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
  8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    That freaking video. As soon as I heard that, I had a bad feeling about that game. There was auditions held 4 days before the game that half the team attended. I thought I remembered they actually cut a video but I cant find anything.

Doesnt matter. They clearly were looking past the Chargers.

9. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    That gad danged Mother &^%$# Tomlin and his undisciplined, sloppy, unfocused BS way of head coaching....oh, wait. :lolol:

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  10. THREE RIVER SHIVER

THREE RIVER SHIVER Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2017
    Stan Humphries at QB..Very average....Natron Means AT RB..pretty good ..Cant even name a wide out or tight end.I agree that Bobby Ross was a good coach,but this was a team with a slightly above average defense,and a very average offense in my opinion

11. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Those all hurt yes. Try going to your first steelers game and losing to browns 51-0. 1989. At home.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Steelers89

Steelers89 Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2016
    94 because they were light years better than SD. The first of many Cowher led playoff letdown.

SB XXX. They likely win that game without the mind numbing picks.

2001. But as another poster mentioned, playoff disappointments were expected from Cowher at this point.

2002: That atrocious "roughing" the kicker call. Nuff said.

SB 45. With a better start, they likely win. Just too many mistakes.

04: Bleh. I thought they'd win for sure.

13. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    OMG!! That was my first game too! I sat on the 50 yardline 3 rows behind the Cleveland sidelines. My Dad got the tickets comped from his work. We were sitting with the Browns players wives. I wouldn't let my Dad leave until the game was over. Talk about a miserable experience. We had the Browns players families f*#king with us the whole game.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    We went to canton and my dad surprised me with tickets to the game. Our seats sucked but of course we moved down as game got worse. Ended up sitting near a couple of guys who were cussing noll the whole game lmao

I was 17. I wanted to leave. I was so mad. Dad doesnt leave any game early. The game was horrible but the trip was awesome

• Like Like x 1
  15. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    This was beyond stupid on Green’s part.

16. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Everyone of them. Starting with the san diego game ... to the dallas superbowl to the losses to new england ... to the green bay superbowl .... to the jacksonville losses ... way back in the day ... it was the Oakland raiders loss and believe it or not the dolphins and bengals

17. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    Ouch

• Like Like x 1
  18. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Until steelers win 10 Super Bowls in a row I won’t be happy lol

19. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    My dad never left early. Therefore, I was still in my seat when Franco caught the Immaculate Reception. I never thought of leaving early again. Many years later I took my new girlfriend, now my wife, to a game. Steelers were loosing badly, she asked if we could leave. I just glared at her and said no.

• Like Like x 1
  20. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    That was before mass media. Early the next morning I was on a ferry in the San Juan Islands. My wife got us coffee and a newspaper. I asked for the paper so I could check the score. She said no. I asked again. She said no, it will just ruin your day.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    If by "average" you mean about middle of the pack, you'd be right. So often, when we say a player is "average" it is meant as a slight. But SD had the 17th most passing yards while being a power rushing team. Humphries had a 72 passer rating which, at the time, was solid. They were not what one would call a "potent" offense, but they were not dog crap either. They earned their playoff run, but the Steelers really were the better team, just not on that day, and you got to place some of the blame on Cowher. Do you think a Parcells or Jimmy Johnson team would have had a party the night before a playoff game? I highly doubt it.

22. Sojourner

Sojourner Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2015
    I still get mad and start cussin every time the name O’Donnell comes up.

Even if they aren’t talking about Neil.

23. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    He, who's name shall not be mentioned......

24. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    lol.jpg

25. takenoprisoners1

takenoprisoners1 Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2011
    Probably not the BIGGEST disappointment, but games you travel to where the game is within reach and then slips away are especially memorable (and not in a good way). Two regular season games come to mind....

At Kansas City (2009, a year when KC wasn't very good).... Tie score late.... Roethlisberger gets injured, in comes Batch. On 3rd down, Batch completes a pass down the middle to the KC 42 or so. Time is running down. One more first down and we're in position to kick the winning field goal. They take the ball out of Batch's hands (despite the pass he just completed) on 3rd and 2 from the 34 (or so). The defense, knowing they can't give up the yards or the game is out of their hands crowd the line of scrimmage..... AND THE STEELERS OBLIGE BY HANDING THEM A TOSS SWEEP!!!!!!!! (losing 5 or so yards.... rest of the story, Steelers punt and lose in overtime) To this day, whenever we see something especially maddening about the Steelers playcalling, my brother and I still look at each other and say.... "3rd and 2.....toss sweep." I had flashbacks from the stands of the Jacksonville/Pittsburgh divisional game when they did a toss sweep on 4th and 1 with similar success.

At Altanta (2006, Atlanta not very good - I think Vick was QB?).... Tie score late of an exciting game that has gone back and forth.... I'm in the center of a section that is all Falcons fans except for 3 or 4 of my Steelers brethren spread throughout the section, and we've all had a pretty good time.... Steelers driving late about midfield with no timeouts complete a pass over the middle to about the 32 yard line. It will be a long field goal attempt, but indoors if they can just get the clock stopped. As they go to spike the ball to stop the clock with about 4 seconds left, a player (was it Ward?) takes a step toward the line of scrimmage and a false start is called, and with it a 10 second runoff. Rest of the story, Steelers lose the toss and Atl wins in overtime 41-38....

Gut-wrenchers!