1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you get ticked seeing players yuck it up after a loss?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Watt Wack, Apr 6, 2018.

1. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    I know I used to. After a loss, it ticked me off to see Ben and co. laughing it up with the opponents after a loss. I thought, "I'm not even on the team and I am taking this loss harder than the players."

It especially annoyed me that Ben was happy as a clam after the game, when he played terribly.

But, I thought about it and figured "Why should I let a loss anger me more than it does the players themselves?"

But then again, think about it. If you had 8 figures in the bank, and had a few minutes to chill with your peers who also had 8 figures in the bank, maybe you'd be in a good mood too, even after a loss. I mean, maybe it's THEM with the better perspective on life, not us. It is only a game after all; why let a loss minimize our happiness?

But the truth is, when the Steelers win, my whole week is just a little better. I enjoy watching all the NFL shows from that night through the whole week. When they lose, I mostly avoid NFL shows, not in the mood.

It is what it is.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Players see things differently than fans.

Fans follow their teams from birth for decades, it's part of their DNA. Players are with teams for a limited time, they are drafted randomly, signed and cut at a whim. Fans have and expect loyalty. Players can't expect it. To fans the game is passion, to the players it's a job. For fans, the opponent is the enemy - maybe even a long hated one. For players, the opponent is a guy you went to college with, who you share an agent with, who has the same knee surgeon, who maybe was your teammate last yr or might be next yr.

I had a sports writer once tell me, that I'd be surprised how many players aren't fans. They don't watch games for fun. Don't follow the league after they retire.

So it's hard to expect a player to act the same way to a loss that a fan would. It's a whole different world.

3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Fans is short for fanatics :herewego:

4. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    Everything you say may be true, but I got competitive and passionate even in games as meaningless as backyard football, playing with friends. And even in playing Greek ball in college, against guys who were buddies. So, I am guessing, playing on a pro team, even with all that you mentioned, I'd still be passionate - however - after the game, maybe I would be just as amiable as Ben is, especially if I had $100 million rocking my account.

5. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Have a good friend who played 10 years in the league. Has 2 rings. Its a job. He just laughs at me when i get upset. Like you said, i dont like it but because of him, i understand it.

I think it was different in the 70's but now these guys are investing and doing things away from football together. Its just different

• Like Like x 1
  6. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    That game check makes it all different:lolol:

7. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    And fanatics = zealots.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    It's also a small and elite fraternity. Back in even the 70's, they were not that rich. You would feel a bond the way it is today.

9. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    It`s the one game at a time mentality taught by coaching. You have to immediately let the result, win or lose, roll off your back and move your focus to the next opponent as soon the game is over. No stewing about a loss or thinking your good after a win.

10. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I doubt you're arguing that Ben isn't competitive or passionate. He's clearly both, as are most of the NFL players. But for a lot of players, when it's over it's over, they don't dwell on losses, because they have another game to prep before.

And I'll ask this, after those competitive, passionate games in college, how often did you drink with the other guys afterwards? Is that much different than what you're tired of seeing from home team heroes?.

11. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    If not drink with them, I would immediately be cool with guys that I practically got in fist fights with. It didn't spill over for even 10 seconds after final whistle.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    So it’s much the same for the NFL guys.

There’s also probably something about dignity in defeat. I remember years ago the Chargers losing a play off game and Ladalian Tomlinson ran across the field in fury, starting a fight with someone. He was probably acting out how lots of fans felt, but on TV it just looked pathetic.

13. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Ben makes great money, has 2 rings and a beautiful family. As long as he feels he’s not the sole reason for a loss I’m sure he’s ok with it.

Doubt most players lose sleep losing games.

14. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Regular season, as others said, move on to the next game. Im sure it bothers them though.

Playoff loss/SB loss, fans are nuts if they think they are more upset then the players who lost.

• Like Like x 1
  15. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I beg to differ.

Heinzmustard or real steel after a SB loss?

Me if we lost to cowboys in the bowl recently Yea I’ll die lol

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  16. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    But back in the 70s they played to win. It was mean and violent. They did not laugh and shake hands after the game.

It was a different game. It was a better game. Much better.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    It's how it is these days for a lot of athletes. They play with fire in their guts (some of em anyways) win or lose and then it's off to the after party or home life... And try again next outing. After all they make an ass ton of money and all get paid by the same boss. A bit different then yesteryear when players were just players not paid as pseudo investments I suppose.

Now what bothers me are politicians! Sombitches work us into a froth and at each other's throats only to go grab ass over drinks, stogies and hoo ha! Only their actions actually affect the friggin country and world but yet theiR fans are just as much if not more so rabid and vile than the lot of us rooting for the happy bunch. Okay then beers not getting any colder ta ta

18. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    Remember this is the players job. Most players have friends on the other teams. Day at the office. Some go better than others. The guys who break chairs and TV's. Well that our job as fans to do.

19. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Losses used to not only ruin the rest of my day but Monday's as well. I'm still in recovery. The regular season loses I don't care what they do, but a playoff loss better not be any smiles...

20. tyler christopher

tyler christopher Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2016
    It drives me insane. This did not happen back in day at all. When players lost they were seething and often times there were even fights after games. All this shucking and jiving after the game is within the last 15 years or 20. Definitely did not happen in the 70s and 80s. There all friends now and for the most part I believe whether your like hines ward who hated to lose and would not partake in this garbage or someone who is hugging and kissing other team they do not want to lose and give 100 percent. I know they are dirty players but there old school Burfect and Suh run off the field when they lose.....

21. 69-2now

69-2now Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2017
    I always found it embarrassing when Hines Ward was crying in front of the camera. I'll take laughing any day of the week.

22. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Don't think I ever saw Jack Lambert or Mean Joe Greene yucking it up with the opposing team after a loss.

Agree with you, Watt, it sickens me to see that AND the jersey exchanges at midfield. It may be the way it is, but I don't have to like it!

23. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    You know,

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
  24. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Welcome to the Digital Age! The world and the league is a much smaller place now. The players have much more contact with each other than ever before and respect each other and their abilities. Anyone of them state specific players bring out the best in them. For instance, as much as we hate the Ravens, Hines, Bettis, Ray Lewis and other hated the other team, but love the games because they brought out the best in them. I still remember Brian Billick stating no other player ticked him off more than Hines Ward. However, he said you give me 22 Hines Wards and I will beat you every day of the week. Suggs on one hand claims to "Own Roethlisberger," on the other hand he says "we broke his nose and he still beat us."

It is much different than the 70's before Social Media. Often times, the only contact was through the media with soundbites that only fueled the hate.

I guess I view some of this now as good sportsmanship and treating it as a game with a fellow competitor.