1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

What's the toughest steelers loss of your life?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by jonnypgh, Apr 4, 2018.

1. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    image.jpeg

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    All i can think of [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    As a regular season game, this can't compare to the playoff or SB losses, but the loss to the expansion Houston Texans in '02 has to one of the worst in franschise history.

Houston had only 3 FDs and scored 3 defensive TDs and beat the Steelers 24-6. An extra win that year would have got home field advantage in the AFC that yr.

4. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    All of them :shrug:

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    AFCCG loss in Ben's rookie year.

Really wanted one for the Bus ... and at the time it didn't seem like it was going to happen.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
  6. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    It's not even close, the 2001 AFC Championship game. '94 was rough, but '01 was devestating.

Nobody at work talked for two days. You didn't dare bring up the game. You didn't want to bring up the game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    1. 1994 AFC Championship Game
    2. 2001 AFC Championship Game

Both of these were losses at home to clearly inferior teams. Both of these games were gut punches to me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    2001 AFC Championship Game. The 94 game was tough. XXX was tough. But 01 was crushing. I was so certain about that team. Everyone wanted to see the Big Nasty D vs the Greatest Show on Turf. The two best teams in football. We were robbed. The Pats got every call. Nothing went our way. And Kordell just wasn't a good enough passer to bring us back from a deficit. That was the first Super Bowl I didn't watch. I just couldn't do it. I don't think I ever watched a game with the same childhood passion again. I never wanted to get as emotionally involved because, I had convinced myself we were never going to win a Super Bowl.

9. theRealeHarris

theRealeHarris Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2016
    '76 Steeler season is clearly worth watching (I was born in '94) :towel:

10. theRealeHarris

theRealeHarris Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2016
    Going on bit of a limb and saying what COULD have been the toughest loss in Steeler history...
    2005 Divisional round...Bettis fumbles...if Ben doesn't make the tackle...or Vanderjagt doesn't miss a 46 yard FG with 17 seconds left to tie the game.
    Steeler nation would not be the same had Bettis not got his ring.... THANK YOU LORD HE DID :bowdown: :drinks:

My toughest losses that actually happened:
    - SB vs GB (I was so proud to be witnessing a Steeler dynasty/decade of success)
    - SB vs Cowgirls (I was still in diapers)
    - 2011 Wildcard loss to Denver w/Tebow at QB (after 2010 SB loss, a wild card exit was hardly believable)

11. tyler christopher

tyler christopher Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2016

Tebow loss was bad but we all knew we were gonna lose by 50 next week.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
  13. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    I would have to say Mike Webster

14. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    That game pissed me off to no end. This was one time where Cowher clearly played down to the competition like Tomlin has since '09.

I don't know which pisses me off more... Tomlin's inability to prepare the Steelers for sub-.500 teams or Cowher's epic AFC Championship game chokes.

15. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Yep.. Patriots would have embarrassed the Steelers the following week. Total annihilation... and probably the most lop-sided playoff score in NFL history.

16. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    My toughest loss was the day I sat in the stands in Miami and saw Jack Lambert couldn't run anymore.:facepalm::cool:

17. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    :crybye:

18. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    The one that really sucked the life out of me was when Tebowmania ran wild on the Steelers. One of the worst starting QB's in the history of the NFL lit us up. That was humiliating.

19. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Yep, I remember that one. We allowed something like only 50 yards in offense and lost in a tragic comedy of turnovers. We also had a game like that against the Raiders allowing only around 100 yards of offense. You can only shake your head and plant palm in face while watching games like that. :facepalm:

20. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    The reason 2001 loss to Pats didn't bother me as bad, is I already was getting the feeling that Cowher was a poor postseason coach and saw it coming. I just had a feeling, he would go with the "run, run, incomplete pass, punt" most of the game, and of course toss in some horrid turnovers to seal it.

The 1995 SB loss didn't hurt so much because that Dallas team was a lot better than we were. But, O'Donnell crapping the bed sure didn't help.

The 1994 loss to SD hurt bad because we were clearly the better team, playing at home. That just sucked.

The '97 loss to Denver hurt (I was there) because we were knocking their teeth out and then Kordell threw into triple coverage and Romo did his "stupid" gestures right into Kordell's grill. That was yet another painful Cowher home conference championship loss.

21. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    The 97 game was all on Chan Gailey. The Bus was running all over the Broncos that day. Everytime we got inside the 10 Gailey took the ball out of Jerome's hands and put it in Kordells. If Gailey had just kept pounding the rock the Steelers win that game easy. Instead he got cute. I honestly believe we would have beaten the Packers that year.

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    I know this won't rank on anyone's worst loss list, but the 1993 loss in Cleveland hurt me bad. At the time, my roommate - and his obnoxious girlfriend - were huge Browns fans, and it was one of those rare years where Cleveland wasn't a total joke, but we were the better team, other than Metcalf seemingly floating over would-be tacklers on his way to going in for a TD on a punt return. It was painful, as I watched the game with those roommates.

Fortunately, it was one of the very few losses to the Browns in that era, so I got to razz those roomies more often than they did me.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/199310240cle.htm

23. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    Another one nobody ever mentions was the 93 Wild Card game vs the Cheifs. Had the game won a couple different times but we just couldn't stop Montana. Lost in OT.

24. THREE RIVER SHIVER

THREE RIVER SHIVER Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2017
    If I remember correctly the chargers snuck into the playoffs at or around 500...
    This game is it for me...still remember forth down at the goaline,and we tried to pass the ball low across the middle in the endzone,and their lb got a finger on it...GAME OVER

25. tyler christopher

tyler christopher Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2016

Good one... Totally forgot. We had a good team that year but I think we lost like 5 in a row to end season and nobody gave us a shot in that game and we came out firing. I believe the bottom feeder screwed that game up also. Bad time management........