1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

What's the toughest steelers loss of your life?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by jonnypgh, Apr 4, 2018.

1. jonnypgh

jonnypgh New Member

Feb 26, 2018
    Couple buddies and I were having a conversation about the toughest losses we've ever had as sports fans. To get it a little more specific here, what are the toughest steelers losses that you've lived through?

For me, (born in 97)

Super Bowl XLV vs GB
    Tough loss. Steelers didn't play great, but definitely didn't play bad enough to not have a shot to win. After an awesome game against Baltimore in the divisional round and beating Mark Sanchez and Rex Ryan's Jets at home in the AFC championship, we watched Aaron Rodgers outplay Ben. We also watched Clay Matthews strip Rashard Mendenhall in a very important drive down 4 in the 4th qtr. Now Mendenhall is a conspiracy theorist and is uploading videos to his twitter @R_Mendenhall of him playing tetherball. Hmm.

AFC Championship 2016 vs NE
    Why do I ever trick myself into thinking the Steelers can beat New England? Why? We watched Tom Brady absolutely light us up. Per usual. He, Legarrette Blount, and Pitt man Dion Lewis then advanced to the Super Bowl and got the one for the thumb for NE. LB who was just an absolute workhorse for us in the WC round and divisional round gets hurt early. I didn't feel great about this, but felt good enough with Deangelo Williams. Williams didn't do much. None of the Steelers did. Lacrosse player Chris Hogan torches the defense. I gave up on this one 100% when Mike Mitchell bit on the flea flicker. But, in the fourth qtr when cobi f'ing hamilton caught a TD, it made me think about what could have been without injuries or suspensions (Bryant).

Tie - 2014 WC vs Baltimore and 2015 Divisional Round vs Denver
    These are a tie to me because they are both somewhat similar. Towards the end of both of these seasons, I started to believe in the teams. But in both years, injuries plagued them.
    Vs Baltimore we got to watch Josh Harris and Ben Tate struggle to get any yardage at all and we watched Ben Tate tip a ball that ends up getting picked off by Terrell Suggs between his legs. Offense struggled to really get anything going other than 1 AB deep ball Joe Flacco somehow won in the playoff like he oddly does a lot. My dad and I were at this game to make matters worse.
    Vs Denver we watched Sammie Coates have a hell of a game (got me excited about him for 2016) and Ben play incredible on the road vs the NFL's best defense and eventual SB winner. But we saw Fitzgerald Touissant and Jordan Todman (3rd string/practice squad running backs) play, with Touissant eventually getting stripped by Bradley Roby on a crucial drive 4th qtr drive up 1 that ate up clock and was in Denver territory. I truly believe if this did not happen then the Steelers would've won. Then Peyton marched down the field to take the lead. The drive started when Peyton Manning dropped back & then slipped while stepping up in the pocket, possibly then giving himself up in the process, but no whistle and he finds emmanuel sanders for a big gain.

Regular Season 2017 vs New England
    The way this game went down was just brutal. We all know this. When Vince Williams picked off Brady, I thought the game was over. If there's one thing that's engrained in my mind by now, it's that Brady and Belichick own the Pittsburgh Steelers. After watching Gronk single handedly march down the field to take the lead in the 4th qtr and then embarrass Sean Davis on the 2 point conversion, I thought it was over. Then Juju gets my hopes up. I've seen the Jesse James play 10,000 times, and the rule was called properly. Stupid rule, but the rule* (*IN 2017*). The fact that Tomlin, Haley (good riddance) and Ben did not get together to and have multiple plays planned ahead of time to avoid the $hitshow that occurred after Heyward-Bey (???) caught a crossing route and couldn't get out of bounds. I'm a huge Ben fan, and for him to force that ball to Eli and fail to have an amazing comeback vs New England and Tom on his resumé really sucked. This loss told me that the Steelers still are not good enough to beat NE, and this team badly needed Ryan Shazier. Or maybe Brady and Bill are still good enough to constantly own the Steelers. Either way. It confirmed in my mind the steelers wouldn't win the SB because i didn't think they could win in Foxboro in the AFC championship. Simple as that. To get absolutely embarrassed by the Jags at home in the divisional round was terrible, but I think they were just speeding up the process for us.

In conclusion, some of their losses in my mind revolve around injuries and thinking about what could've been. This is probably just me making an excuse, as both New England and Philly battled through plenty of injuries his season on their way to the SB, but these were tough losses nonetheless. What are some of your worst Steelers games? I think if I was around the whole franchise's life, it would be hard for me not to have SB XXX vs Dallas up there.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    SB XXX vs the Cowpies, man that hurt hard especially when nobody gave us a chance and Cowher came out with the onsides kick to shock the world. We were perfect in SB's and to lose vs the team I grew up hating really hurt.............

• Agree Agree x 7
  3. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I've done this to death... but January 1995 AFC Championship game vs. Chargers. What a colossal waste of a season! For me, there's none that come close to that epic failure of a game.. not even SBXXX and SBXLV.

• Agree Agree x 6
  4. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    December 26, 1976

Raiders 24 Steelers 7

Both Franco and Rocky injured. No running game.

Win that game, and I believe we would have won the third Super Bowl in a row.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    Yeah I’d have to say the ‘94 AFC Championship vs Chargers. That was their year and just completely choked

Super Bowl XXX was definitely up there! Two stupid INT’s that turned into 14 points and still only lost by 10...

(Born in ‘80)

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Two SB losses naturally followed by 94 Chargers Championship game.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Mr.HammerZz

Mr.HammerZz Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2018
    All of them! :p

• Like Like x 1
  8. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    For me, it's easily SB XXX by a long shot. I was living in Cincinnati and had a party of about 12 people over and 10 of them were rooting against the Steelers. Nobody gave the Steelers a chance against the heavily favored Dallas with Emmitt Smith and their incredible Oline. The Steelers shut him down completely and dominated that facet of the game except for the 2 short TD's. Still, the Black N Gold kept the game very close and the surprise onsides kick was a brilliant momentum change. I am still convinced to this day that the steeler player not to be named threw that game and was paid well to do so by Jerry Jones should it have been that close.

I threw all the Bungles fans out of my apartment immediately.

• Like Like x 3
  9. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    I've been a Steelers fan since the late 70s, and I'd have to say the toughest loss for me is the 2004 AFC championship game. But that's mostly in hind-sight, knowing that the Pats were fully in cheat mode during Spy Gate for that game, even though it wasn't known about until later.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. 69-2now

69-2now Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2017
    That was my absolute most favorite season as a Steeler fan.

11. tyler christopher

tyler christopher Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2016
    The 94 chargers and it is not even close for me. The sbls now it is more like an event to me and we made it there so the packers sbl does not kill me. I would say the 2nd biggest disappoint to me would be Pats Bens rookie year cause it felt like special year to me with the whole BIGBEN mania and third was the 84 division championship against Denver in Denver. Huge underdogs and we had that game won. Hodge and worley were beasts but left to much time on the clock for Elway. we were supposed to get killed by houston and we won and supposed to get smashed by Denver. I really think if we won that game we would have beaten cleveland and went to sbl......

12. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    Let's not forget the one that started them all..... Pats in 2001. I felt like we were destined to play the Rams "greatest offense" with our awesome D. Losing a game because of a blocked FG and a punt return TD..... hurts.

I'd agree with the 94 vs Chargers, and 2004 loss to the Pats as well. All equally painful

13. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    A rocky start followed by something like 22 consecutive quarters that they didn’t give up a point.

14. coldrolled

coldrolled Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2014
    The Chargers game sticks in the memory banks as the worst... the cowboys SB and the insane INT throw.. Still have visions.

15. SteelerinKC

SteelerinKC Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    2001 AFC Championship game against the Patriots. Normally, I would have watched the game at our local fan club here in KC. Unfortunately, I had family in town so I was stuck watching it with them. The ex-mother in law absolutely HATED Kordell Stewart so all I listened to the whole game was how he sucked and then when he made a mistake, it was 10 times worse. Gut wrenching loss and the closest I have ever come to beating up an old lady.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  16. SuperSteelers

SuperSteelers Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2018
    I second this loss. I was so confident that the Steelers would win this game that I didn't bother watching it live. I taped the game on vhs to watch later. Imagine my surprise later on that night.

17. tyler christopher

Jan 20, 2016

I still hate cower for this loss. We started calling him the " bottom feeder" Cause of that friggin chin and lips and cause he sucked in that game... I will also never forget watching afterwards watching inside the NFL and bobby ross telling chargers at halftime we are still in this game and should be down by 30 and steelers know it. I was to young for 76 and that must have hurt but your playing great team without your 2 best players and mean joe was playing with one arm so you might have seen it coming.......

18. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Deep down inside, that game bugs me the most for sheer aggravation, but disappointment wise I say losing to the Cowgirls in the SB. I really thought we were going to drive for either the game tying or game winning score in the closing minutes until....

So "toughest" is the Cowgirls loss because that is the S.B. and the Chargers loss was less meaningful because nobody would have beat the 49ers that year, but at least we would have played a much better game than they did.

19. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Oh man. I wish I did not watch it live like you did. I would have never watched it or maybe, if ever, many years later. Instead, I have the misery of this burned into my memory. That was an instance where Cowher ball failed due to lack of initiative to put the game away and losing to a much inferior opponent. It`s almost as if we didn`t want to win so we didn't have to lose in the S.B.

20. VTSteelerfan

VTSteelerfan Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2016
  21. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Having lived in San Diego most of my life, this! Charger "fan(s)" still bring up this game to me. Makes sense, it's their only accomplishment! They seem to forget what Steve Young did to them in that SB so, I remind them! 49-26! 49-26! 49-26!

22. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I don't care if the Steelers had lost to 49ers that year. Steelers were the 2nd best team in the NFL in 1994 and the Chargers were nowhere close. This is what is so sad about the Steelers losing to the Chargers that year. Chargers were a mediocre team who had no business in the Super Bowl. Steelers completely and utterly crapped the bed. :facepalm:

Tomlin has enraged me over the past few years... but Cowher will always be the Steelers head coach with the all-time biggest choke job.

23. tyler christopher

Jan 20, 2016
    And the bottom feeder almost blew it against the colts. We played close to the vest in that game in 95 almost played scared. Tony siragusa who is probably most underated defensive played in history of nfl was a nightmare that game.........

24. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    AFC Championship game against the Chargers 94 season.

25. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    It was painful, and then to learn Eric Green threw a party the night before the game. :facepalm: