1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Fan thoughts on James Conner

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Mar 28, 2018.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
  2. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I didn't like the draft pick of Conner as well, but I wouldn't go at him like this did.

3. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I liked what little I saw out of him last year. I thought he got picked early, but I liked the pick. I think he's going to be a decent back if he can stay healthy.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Fantastic kid. Incredible story. Never will be a good NFL back.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Biggest knock on him early on was his lack of ability to pick up the blitz and block. I didn't see enough of him later in the season to see if he got better.

6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Now having to rehab will retard that ability to learn the blocking. Good kid , bad breaks. :cool:

7. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Not sure I'd call it an awful pick, but I don't think it was a very good one. If he went to Kansas St instead of Pitt they'd have never taken him.

I like the kid, he plays hard. But his running style is not conducive to a long NFL career, and his history of injuries continues to grow. He can be a useful backup, maybe get you 300-400 yd a season. But I suspect in 2-3 yrs, he'll be done. I'll be happy to be wrong., but I just don't see it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    he was a PR pick lol. Nothing to spell bell.

9. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Ask me instead about my thoughts on Twitter...........:rolleyes:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  10. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    He has a lot to prove. So far, recent pre-Bell RBs like Dwyer and Redman have done more for the Steelers.

11. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    What are your thoughts on Twitter?

12. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Conner had a 4.5 average. His long run was 23. Bell had a 4.0 Average and longest was 27.

For the very limited carries, Conner did good. The thing he has to over come is his injury history, he is know has had two ACL operations since college.

I think it was unfortunate that hey got hurt in the Patriots game. Because he would of seen much more action in the Houston and of course the Cleveland games to end the year.

He has great character. I really hope he bounces back.

Before any one picks on Conner being a terrible 3rd round Running Back pick. The bar is set quite high. Dri Archer was a 3rd Round Pick as well. Conner has a long long way to go to hitting that bust status.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I think by opening weekend Conner is going to make a believer out of a few of you guys.

• Like Like x 2
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  14. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Conner was a projected 5-6 round pick we did a big reach taking him in the 3rd round, his weaknesses has shown up so far and his medical concerns at the NFL level are coming true as well, dont see him as a top back but we wanted a feel good story instead of a top back and thats what we have:

WEAKNESSES
    Needs a clean slate of blocks to consistently make his way around the corner on the next level. Could struggle to accelerate from tacklers if he gets too cute. Runs with stiff hips and heavy legs. Lacks quick-escape athleticism for sudden shake in open field. All power, no finesse. Early defensive penetration short-circuits his run. Average lateral movement and not desired amount for every-down back. Can be a little slow to process moving parts in front of him. Not a press-and-cut back and needs to learn to set blocks up better. Hands a little stiff as pass catcher and will fight the ball at times. Tape shows occasional confusion in blitz pick-up. Medical concerns will continue to follow him.
    DRAFT PROJECTION
    Rounds 5-6

• Like Like x 1
  15. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

Not a big fan of social media in general. That includes FB, Snapchat and Instagram.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I didn't like it because he was projected more as a 4-5th rd pick, I wanted the team to draft for depth on defense. As we saw at the end of last season not having depth at safety and ILB came back to haunt them.

17. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Thought he was clearly over drafted at the time and I haven't seen enough to change my mind...

18. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    He may, for a game or three, but then he will get hurt and be shelved once again. He was a big guy in college, and could run over a lot of college players, but in the NFL, everyone is big, strong and fast. If he thinks he is going to "square up" and punish NFL defenders, we will see him out more than he plays. I said it from the moment they drafted him. Love the kid, love the story, but as someone said, he was a PR pick more than a wise draft choice. The Rooneys go goo goo for local guys, and this one came with an inspirational story (beat cancer and ACL tear).

But let me state this very clearly: If they think they will be covered with Conner and Croissant as adequate back ups to Bell, they are out of their minds. And if they let Bell walk, they better add two RBs to what they have. But the backs are out there to cover it, even if Bell is gone.

I like Freeman in the 3rd. Not a perfect back, but big and fast and would work well in a platoon with a quicker back.

19. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I thought we took Conner a round early, but I like the kid as a RB.

He can run the ball. He just needs to work hard and round out his game. He needs to catch the ball better and block better.

Just remember, Bell wasn't this great talent coming out of Michigan State. He worked hard and became a star.

20. WinTheNorth

WinTheNorth Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    <breakingTheRules>
    I'll go a step beyond that... i have an active distrust/distaste for all of them that goes well beyond my distrust of the mainstream media (and anyone who things Fox "News" doesn't suffer from EXACTLY the same phenomenon is deluding themselves.)

I'm a software guy and I will NEVER go work for one of those companies and, in fact, I quit what many in my line of work consider a dream job in part because I spent too much time supporting SnapChat and it was incredibly demotivating
    </breakingTheRules>

<mildlyBreakingTheRules>
    This is one of the few "social media" places is frequent because, well, you guys are awesome (for the most part :hehehe: ) and appreciate the value of critical thinking and conflicting opinions even when things got ugly over the Kneelers... come back BFT!.
    </mildyBreakingTheRules>

Sorry guys... as Shrek says.... "better out than in!"

21. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    <mildlyBreakingTheRules>
    This is one of the few "social media" places is frequent because, well, you guys are awesome (for the most part :hehehe: ) and appreciate the value of critical thinking and conflicting opinions even when things got ugly over the Kneelers... come back BFT!.
    </mildyBreakingTheRules>

I'm sure this was meant for me, so thank you and your welcome!

• Like Like x 1
  22. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Here are some important things to consider when looking ahead. Bell is going to miss everything, I mean everything. So Conner, Fitz and whether they draft a rookie or sign a FA are going to be at all team building events, all OTA's, training camp and preseason. They will be getting the new playbook and it will be different, new play calling and new roles. They will be bonding with the Oline and have a chance to work with Ben. They will get lots of work in the preseason and plenty of opportunities to put it on tape.

In regards to Connor he is already immensely popular in Pittsburgh, the front office must really like him to send him with Shazier to scout at Pitt. He will work well behind a good Oline and won't be as flashy as Bell but if he get's 3 yards a carry its good. He has heart and works hard. Like I said he will turn some heads

23. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Not a starting caliber back

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I didn't like the idea of drafting a "decent" back-up RB, with health issues, in the third round. They knew the kid, and it was a feel good story.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017

Needs to avg. more like 4 ypc to cut the mustard. 3 ypc is fail.