1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Morgan Burnett

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelers113, Mar 20, 2018.

1. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Be careful what you wish for.....
    Who else are we gonna have to kick around.....Dupree will be in my sights this year...
    Where we're really gonna miss Mitchell is the anticipation and the holding of breath while we wait patiently for him to enter the frame on the TV on those deep balls...

Last but not least who the hell is gonna stand outside our opponents locker room and make an ass out of himself....we're all gonna remember his name....:hehehe:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Yep. Dupree is the new scapegoat and whipping post on the D and could very well end up being the weakest link. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think he's gonna improve enough to get the 5th year. I wouldn't be surprised if we took another OLB in the first if rookie OLB is the BPA. Chances are better that an ILB will be more of a BPA where the Steelers are drafting.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    The Honey Badger messed up the market. Turns out he helped us after all.

He took a less than market deal which set everyone else back.

• Like Like x 1
  4. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Well these are easy question, first we can still kick around Mitchell cause every time Burnett makes a play we can trash MM about how that would have been a td, :roflmao:.

Next there was not anticipation cause MM never entered the tv frame until after the play was over.......see this now goes back to #1, lmao. :applaud:

Last we still have Porter here and I am sure it wouldn't take much convincing to get him to go over there...................:shrug:

Yeah I am going to hell but this is fun!!!!!!! :dancing:

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    What's new he was a whipping boy last year and rightfully so. The only difference he had Mitchell and Spence to help take the blame but he will be all on his own now. As for the 5th year not ty I am hoping we draft an OLB to learn this year and take over next.......

6. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Yeah for sure and not to mention the top dawg Joyner was tagged I think he would have broke the bank. I am still curious to see what Vacarro and Boston are going to get.......

7. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
  8. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    You coul
    you could say the same about Bostic as well. What did we have a bunch of dummies out there??

9. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Yeah I agree I was thinking we wanted to get a more experienced guy in here to take charge and call the defense. Also another interesting bit I found when reading about Burnett, him and Sutton are close. Burnett's dad coached him in high school and Sutton went to his camps, they have stayed in touch through out Sutton's time in college and pros and now they are teammates. Might be a good sign as Sutton takes the next step in his role on the defense.

10. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    The difference is Burnett has done it and done it at a high level. Bostic has been all over the place and really don't have the experience.....

11. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    He is a proven run stopper based on the numbers and has already been lauded as a communicator and signal caller. Two of the biggest reasons both were signed...Rooney said he wants to stop the run and we got two who can do it...

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Yeah I am not saying he isn't what I am saying is Burnett is experienced, Bostic has bounced around Colts, Lions, Pat's and Bears. Bostic when healthy is going to stop the run but Burnett is gonna be the QB of this D

13. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I think the two of them are going to be responsible for cleaning up the miscommunications. Hopefully not so many blown assignments this season.

14. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Morgan Burnett's signing means that the Inside Linebacker position is now squarely back in the drivers seat for the Steelers 1st pick.

The question remains if Leighton Vander Esch will last that long by then. March 28th will be beyond important for sure as that day is where RaShaan Evans gets to showcase his skills. Should he run in the 4.5s, the chances of nabbing Esch will have gotten better.

If not, then all of April will be important as May 3rd is the day the Steelers can elect to exercise their fifth year option on Dupree. Should the Steelers not due it within that month or if, as a BPA option, Pittsburgh nabs an edge rusher round one, that might be it for Bud.

15. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Eagles are interested in Esch.
    If you want him, you better go get him.

16. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

This is true.

However, nabbing a receiver is also a need for the Eagles; perhaps greater. D.J. Moore seems to be a popular pick for the Eagles. If anything, he plays like a more polished and athletic Stephon Diggs.

17. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2017
    I’m just saying that his production has slipped quite a bit from 2015 and 2016 for some reason. PPF is where I got my info also and they are only one of many sources who rate players by position.He graded out last year with a 77.2 which puts him in the average slot among safety’s.Like I said in my previous post he’s a huge upgrade over Mitchell who somehow graded out at 64 among safeties to Burnett’s 62.I’m not sure what criteria is used to get these rankings but know Mitchell is no where near the player Burnett is. I think Burnett is one of the best safety’s against the run when in the box but in cover terms lacked production last year as he finished third worst among free agent safety’s in yards, overall targets and receptions allowed.QB’s had a 127 passer rating against him also.He’s better suited as a box safety to avoid having as many coverage responsibilities in the slot!Leadership and experience as a solid safety are a plus.Injuries( missed 10 games in the last two years) and descending productivity as he’s a little past prime are negatives.Overall I think it was a great value pick for us as he wanted 8.5 million from the Packers and a extra bonus is no More Mitchell as I think he would have received 8 million.Win Win all the way around!!!

18. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Yup. Eagles may or may not be interested in him. Impossible to say without seeing a teams board. Remember how many teams we heard were interested in Watt last year?

Vander could end up anywhere, Steelers wont be moving up for him though.

19. ST-ILL-ERS FAN

ST-ILL-ERS FAN Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Why is that? And his name is Eric not Kneeler..just like your name isn' Dimwit even though you might be one. He is probably top ten at his position and they probably could have signed him for 6 million. He's head and shoulders better than Davis, Mitchell, or Burnett and has never been a problem on or off the field and a leader in the locker room. I'm curious to see what idiotic claim you have for not even entertaining a interview with him.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
    • Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1
  20. Mailman

Dec 31, 2017
    Correction:Mitchell would have received 5 million if kept by the Steelers which is 5 million too much!!!

21. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Sure both are going to help but only one will wear the dot and I am pretty sure it is going to be the guy with a lot more experience, no? I feel this is one of the things that was very appealing the Steelers about Burnett, jmo.

22. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I get all that but my point is he was ranked at the top of many FA list if not the top so to say he is average is a little unfair, imo.

23. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    No you were right the first time 8m, we saved 5m and 3m is dead money.

24. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    It commonly looked like it towards the end of the season.

25. Mailman

Dec 31, 2017
    I hope he fits in well with the Steelers defensive scheme.I’m totally with you as I hope he goes back to his 2015 2016 years when he definitey had real good years!His versatility is a real plus as because of injuries to the Packers he played cornerback and linebacker sparingly last year which isn’t his forte but helped the team situation.That probably hurt his stats a little but the versatility helped the team.Good to get someone with those qualities!Here’s to a great year in 2018 for Burnett and the Steelers!!!

• Like Like x 1