1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

AV restructures contract

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    expected to free up 4 million.

That's 28 million in restructuring. Signing Bell long term or bringing in big name FA?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Seeeee.....ole ye of little faith:smiley1:...... I think Cam can still be restructured too....stay tuned

• Like Like x 1
  3. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Restructuring leads to more restructuring which leads to guys making huge base salaries in year three and four which means cutting talent because you don't have the money to keep them at the inflated rate. But hey if it gets money for a solid FA I'm game.

4. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Cap continues to go up. Should help offset some of that. Plus Bens contract likely will be off the books but then.

5. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    I don't have you guys optimism about restructuring because I have watched it cost to many of my personal favorites their job when the team needed money and the player still had at least a solid year or to left but again my favorites and probably my opinion too.

6. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I’m thinking that maybe, just maybe, the Steelers realize we are close to having a really good team, and maybe, just maybe they are going to try to fill in the blanks.

And maybe, just maybe, I’ll eventually be tall, fast and good looking.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Man we got more restructuring going on than Cher’s face.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 5
  8. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Not really optimism, just facts. Bens only got 2 or 3 years left and the cap keeps going up. Both those things will definitely help with the consequences of kicking the can down the road.

Just out of curiosity, who are the players you are referring to?

9. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Your concerns are legitimate, but don't we have to try? We can't just sit back and do nothing when we are trying to win a SB and we have holes to fill. In Khan we trust....

• Like Like x 1
  10. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Heath and Ward for sure, I don't think you can ever have a guy like Troy and not be somewhat in awe of how he not only played but approached life as well as football.

11. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Have to disagree with you. Maybe Heath but I definitely noticed his play dropping off, especially with YAC. Ward was getting killed, hated seeing those hits on him, his time was up and Troy was probably a year too late.

All great and favorite players for sure though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    That's fair and I would never say they were in their prime but they could still contribute and had the restructing not happened maybe they aren't cut. An aging Heath Miller is a lot easier to stomach at 5 million on the last year of his contract then at 11 million with two years left. I'm spiralling those numbers but I'm almost sure that was Heath''s cap hit was that much the year he was cut. I was shocked as heck that when they came out of all those restructures and deadmoney he'll a few years ago that they let Timmons play out the last year of his deal at what was it 9 million and let him walk.

It's like watching the Packers cut Nelson today. You understand the loss of production but the guy has been solid for your franchise for a decade and as a fan you hate to see it.

13. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    James Harrison was a good example his first time around.

14. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    The packers are finally being aggressive in free agency

15. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    They'll spend just over half for bell then waste the rest on scabs

16. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Non Union Players?

• Like Like x 1
  17. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Yes. There will be a sign up sheet posted here for us starting tomorrow. PWP will take DHB's place when they release him.

18. BuckeyeBucco

BuckeyeBucco Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Let's hope the Steelers do a better job of it.

19. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    If we Could Only Turn Back Time and sign good players for cheap again. Ever since Tomlin opened his big mouth about signing cheap labour. The team has gone broke when it comes to signing descent players.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  20. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Heath wasn't actually cut. He decided to retire. That's what I love about Heath. He could have stayed on one more year and made a few million more, but he knew it was time for him to retire and acknowledged the fact that his play had deteriorated somewhat and, in his mind anyway, it was time to walk away. I appreciate and respect that about Heath. Some players delude themselves and think they can still play even though they are a shell of what they once were.

21. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Blast their is no guarantee that the cap will keep going up and the number this year was supposed to be more. That being said Ben is under contract for 2 more seasons at 23.2 per year. I believe he will be extended for 2 to 3 more years which will happen next season. Still going to be a boatload of money. Bell will be off the books. Ben is going to be around for a while. The concern is the money pushed into the future. But after Ben hangs em up their is going to be a low point for a few years.

22. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Ben's body won't last that long, be lucky to get 2 more seasons out of him. But they'll probably keep him around until he cant move anymore, seems to be the new steelers way. Work them until the wheels fall off.

If the new OC is going to take the leash off of Ben, as in going back to playing backyard style football, he's going to get hit a lot.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  23. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    thats only with 41 realistically under contract. we are without gay, mitchell, shazier, conner, eli, hubbard, toussaint, mccullers, moats, harrison, grimble, ridley at least right now. bell will eat up 14.5 mil. of that 28 mil.. that includes guys like matt wile, deshaun phillips, dangerfield, malik golden, darnell leslie, trey griffey, keion adams in our top 51 right now with 2 others needed to fill the roster plus the rookie class and the PS. then if more cuts come like golden, sensabaugh, DHB, fort, wilcox, that means more guys to sign. it sure kills depth and eats up money fast. :cool:

24. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    With these massive restructures, I think they are counting on those two things. Cap has gone up 10 million a year for the last 5 years and Ben cant play forever. Id be surprised if he makes it 3 more years.

They are at 28 million in restructures, 25 million was the previous high in 2012. I dont think the plan is to just do these deals and then cut half the team in a few years.

25. LambertsDentist

LambertsDentist Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2014

I agree that we're mortgaging the future for the present. That's not the normal Steeler Way, but with Ben's window closing it makes sense.

About the time these restructures start to hurt is when Ben retires. We go through salary cap hell for a year or 2, resulting in a couple losing season, resulting in a high enough draft pick to get our next great QB.