1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Sean Davis to move to free safety?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by jeh1856, Mar 11, 2018.

1. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I read a couple of articles today they may move Sean Davis to free safety because his range would better fit that position.

This would be an upgrade over Mitchell, but we would still need a safety.

2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Should this happen, this changes the draft in a big way.

For one, we can no longer assume that Justin Reid is the consenus pick. For me, while he played every position possible along the defensive backfield, Free Safety is his home. Someone like Terrell Edmunds automatically pops into mind when thinking of a more natural strong safety type.

For two, this means that Leighton Vander Esch returns to being the consensus yet again as linebacker will be a need come the draft. Considering there are no other available box safety types heading into Free Agency and, assuming we do nab a Free Agent Linebacker, it still becomes a point of emphasis.

Most importantly though, for three, this must mean that, beyond the Draft and Free Agency, what is being considered confirms that Pittsburgh was set on transitioning Sean Davis to be a centerfielder should Mike Mitchell not work out in time. Due to the fact that he had not worked out, it is likely to assume that the switch is made possible by two key factors;

1.) Sean Davis has more range now and more experience than he did to authorize such a move.

2.) Biggest point here. The hiring of Tom Bradley indirectly informs me that the process should go smoothly given Bradley's history of stressing fundementals and principles.

My personal thoughts Jeh . Should this happen though, as I said, this has far more degress of impact than one would ponder to believe. :)

3. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    If they do this(which I don't agree with) try to trade up for Derwin james

4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    This has always made sense to me. I still believe we will be using more 3 safety looks in the hybrid defense. I do also still believe they will want to get Brian Allen on the field too. That will help against the pass. They both have speed and size too. Both actually playing FS. Then we draft a couple of these big SS guys like harrison, white or Edmund's ( whom I prefer). They use them as LB/SS which will help against the run but also not give up much or as much as a true ILB in coverage. It just makes sense to help our run defense but allows us to keep enough coverage ability on the field. It essentially helps us overcome the loss of shazier which we didn't have an answer for last year. Add 2 corners in haden and whomever. On 3 Rd downs we may or may not take a safety off the field and add a corner like Hilton. If we get caught not being able to sub in that 3rd corner we would still have decent coverage on the field then. :cool:

5. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Or stay pat and draft ronnie harrison?

6. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

I would err on the side of caution for him.

He still has testing to perform. Once he does that, I think we should have a more clear picture.

7. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    I like Harrison he was solid but I think he wasn't as talented as the other Alabama dbs and playing with them made him make some of the plays he did make. I'm much more of a minkah Fitzpatrick guy than him.

8. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Well I like his 6-3 215 size with 74 tackles 2.5 sacks and 3 picks and a 44.3 40 he looks like a day one starter to me....

9. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Damn he slow ..Just playing.. I know you meant 4.43. lol . I think he is a good player as well.

10. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Nope, He doesn't have FS skills.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    A little better than Mitchells 4.93 speed

12. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Fixed that for you.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  13. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    The slowest thing about Mitchell was his mind. Low football IQ guy and you need a smart guy playing free safety. Not sure Davis is that much smarter from a football intellect standpoint. Think about our best safeties of the past going back to Donnie Shell and Mike Wagner. Carnell Lake. Troy P. Ryan Clark. These guys were VERY intelligent players and it showed on the field. Mitchell is as dumb as a box of rocks and very easily outsmarted by heady quarterbacks. Remember the cat and mouse game Troy P played with Peyton Manning in the AFC playoffs a few years ago. Watching Troy do his thing was wonderful. And then to have to watch Mitchell the last 5 years act like a flippin' idiot when he made tackles after long runs for first downs, take bad angles, miss tackles, miss possible INTs because he's going for the blowup hit. Shoot, I'd put Darren Perry and Chris Hope ahead of him. In fact, Mitchell ranks at or near the bottom of Steeler safeties in the last 40 years IMHO. Glad he's gone! Hope Davis picks up his play in 2018. Maybe the new DB coach, Bradley, can coach him up to the next level. He has potential, we've seen some of that. Let's just hope he realizes that potential the next few years and develops into an adequate safety.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 3
  14. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    This. Carnell Lake the player did not translate into Carnell Lake the position coach. Bradley is an instant upgrade and should tighten this unit up. And could possibly be a replacement for Butler. Still baffles me that Porter didn't get the boot.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    I remember Mitchell in the afc championship playing deep 3rd as a single high safety and getting burned by tom on a flea flicker... just sad

16. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I.wonder how much of these reported moves are Bradley breaking down tape and making recommendations.

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    To me, Davis is a better fit at FS than he ever was at SS. He has the speed and the coverage skills to play a good deep S zone, but not good enough at either of those to cover TEs one on one. THAT is who we need to find in this draft.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Likely 75%.

Either Bradley sees something in Davis that Lake could not or Davis has matured to such a point in coverage that we will not be a liability in single high coverage.

19. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I'm skeptical that Davis can make the move successfully. As atrocious as Mitchell was Davis couldn't make the move at some point last year? When we were all dying for somebody-anybody to step in.... His coverage skills may have improved enough to the point that"now" they trust him? What did he do practice on Madden since the season ended.....he couldn't replace Mitchell at any point last year and now they're gonna move Davis go FS and Wilcox to SS....the same guy who couldn't get a helmet at the end of the season. We have our work cut out for us finding someone to play that single high or a scheme change is in order....

20. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I just read Golden got released too?

Man, I'm scratching my head.... that will be 2 safeties to replace now?

21. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    That might be a good thing, they might draft 2 stud safeties :dancing:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  22. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    We got rid of 3 DB’s. Why do I feel like we got better?

23. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    So... Bradley has his hands on the secondary confirmed.

... Or does he?

24. Da Stellars

Oct 22, 2011
    What am I missing here?

Only way I can see getting rid of BOTH Golden and Mitchell is if either Cameron Sutton or Brian Allen switch to safety?

I just don't see them drafting 2 safeties that will be called on to play significant time in their rookie season. And I don't see them signing a FA safety of much worth?

25. Da Stellars

Oct 22, 2011
    I've been feeling lately with our current personnel we are halfway towards moving to a Tampa 4-3.