1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Will we ever see this again (memory lane)

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by WinTheNorth, Mar 11, 2018.

1. WinTheNorth

WinTheNorth Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
  2. Steel4Blood

Steel4Blood Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2017
    Rod is God. LOL
    I think polamalu was just as good if not better.
    If i had to choose between the two id take troy. I think Troy was the most disruptive player in the NFL for a couple years. i cant say that about Rod.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Kreighoff

Kreighoff Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Wow that's a tough decision if you try and pick one over the other. Troy was definitely a game changer in both the pass and the run defense, but its hard to forget the impact of Rod's 71 int's.
    A true shutdown corner with speed size ball skills and could bring it or a long haired terror who made plays all over the field.
    Magically add the two of them to the 70's Steel Curtain D and they might have pitched a shutout for 3 or 4 years.

It must be the off season.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    I never saw Rod play yet heard nothing but stellar things from him. They say he was as good as "Primetime" during his prime.

As for Troy.... well, I think it is self evident from my view. :lolol:

5. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Rod wasn't as good as Primetime as far as being a shutdown CB, but Rod certainly was a better tackler.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    And therefore, IMHO, a better player.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Not necessarily Rod got beat more often, remember the playoff game vs NE Terry Glenn beat him for that long TD.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Rod was special but a notch below sanders as a pure corner. Your splitting hairs but man to man sanders was as good as it has ever been since rules changed

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    But I’m accounting his ability to support the run as being important. Deon couldn’t/wouldn’t do that.

Personally, I never thought Deon belonged in the HOF.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    What? Really? Deion wouldn’t just shut down one player he would shut down an entire side. As other have said Best pure corner since the rule change. Definitely deserves the HOF.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Plus he was a pretty good Baseball player.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  12. LambertsDentist

LambertsDentist Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Rod was a more willing tackler. Deon didn't like you tackle and avoided it when possible

13. tyler christopher

tyler christopher Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2016
    come on people, prime was much better than Rod. Yes rod could tackle and blitz but prime was so much better in coverage. Rod had to guess alot and would get burnt way to often. I actually thought carnell was better in coverage and way underated.

And there should not be a thought on troy and rod.......... Troy much better overall player.........

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. tyler christopher

tyler christopher Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2016

Your joking right?

Sanders was so good that he took a horrible alanta falcons team to playoffs and then what ever team he went to after that won the superbowl. Coaches had to tell qback which side of field he was on and were told not to throw it to that side no matter what and he was covering either rice or michael irving and wasnt allowed to throw to them..........

That is not HOF worthy?

15. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    No
    Yes
    No

If I have a right tackle who can block like a bulldozer on running plays but can’t block for diddly on pass plays, he is only doing half of his job.

Deon could do half of his job exceptionally well. He couldn’t do the other half for crap.

I don’t think you should get into the HOF for doing half of your job well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Jeh you make some good points my only point would be to start somewhere. We keep drafting DB'S who are good at both hoping they will continue and as the competition gets better they fail in 1 or both of those areas. As a former Coach myself all be it on a much different level I have endured a lot of the same pains.

I would rather have a guy that I know can do 1 of the 2 at a high level and hope to teach him the other .My personal stance is I can teach a Athlete to tackle I can't teach him to run faster at least not to a degree that matters.I can teach a Athlete to read plays , but I can't give him the Athletic ability to make those plays. I guess this is why I suggested moving a true Athlete to the Safety position.

IMO it doesn't matter the level if a player has the skills needed to play a position and the will and desire to learn it. If I can't teach him then I am a failure as a Coach .

I think the Steelers play it way to safe in that regard.A bit of evidence is we let a WR go and he has since converted to CB and plays fairly well at the position. We have had holes in the defensive backfield for years with numerous talented guys we could and probably should have at least tried to convert.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  17. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Carlton Haselrig just came to mind.

18. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    As others already said, Sanders was the best cover corner since the rule changes in the late '70s. He was about as much of a no-brainer for the Hall of Fame as you are going to get. To say otherwise is just ridiculous.

Woodson was an elite cornerback, the second-best in the game during his time with the Steelers. He was a far superior run defender to Sanders, who was pretty much useless in that area.

It's tough to compare him with Polamalu. They were asked to do such different jobs. The better comparison would be Lake, and I might take him over Polamalu. He didn't make as many impact plays as a blitzer or run defender, but he was fantastic in coverage.

19. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Rod was so much better it isn't even funny. Excellent blitzer who could bring down big qb's. 71 career int's.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Deion had 53 ints and 9 TD returns combined with his special teams returns, and you don't think he's a HOF :facepalm:.

21. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Dude you're being a homer Rod wasn't a better pure CB than Sanders, Rod was a better all around player though as far as tackling and blitzing.

22. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    And hence what makes this board great.

23. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    No

But keep in mind, I don’t think at least half of the players in the HOF belong there. I have higher standards than apparently a lot of others.

24. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    I dont agree, in rods 16 th season he had 8 picks 2 returned for touch downs and 82 tackles, his career overall was hands down better than troys and his durabilty for 17 seasons was absolutely better than troys for 12 seasons, look at his career production, he was the best at corner and safety...

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WoodRo01.htm

25. Steel4Blood

Steel4Blood Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2017
    i understand the stats. im saying nobody gave an offensive coordinator more headaches then Troy did.
    I watched both. The eye test just tells you Troy was a generational type talent. He was a missile the way he used his body as well.
    Rod was great, its nitpicking but id take Troy any day.