1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Mitchell

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelers2018, Mar 5, 2018.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    We have a new DB coach that can help the tackling problem. He can't help Mitchell from aging and being slow.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 4
  2. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    I play receiver first of all and secondly I'm not crying and heartbreak of seeing pitt lose and come up short once again. I already know what this team will do so nothing will get me mad. Just cause I'm a fan doesn't mean I blindly give hope I'm s football fan first...

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    I'm on board with this. Robert Golden should be cut.

True. That being said he would be an upgrade over Mitchell at this point. Just my opinion.

4. Steelers2018

Steelers2018 Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    “First of all” HAHAHAHAHA well you should go try out for wr and do the team a favor :lolol:

5. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    I was born December 30th 1998.. I don't think I'm eligible for the nfl draft lol

6. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    My opinion about that has been formed by Tomlin's relationship with Joey Porter, which is well documented on this board so I won't re-hash it, lol. I think Porter should have been fired but I believe that Tomlin's personal relationship with him has skewed his ability to be as objective as he needs to be where Porter is concerned. I think Willie Gay should have been cut after he got burned time after time in the AFCCG last season but apparently he's a Tomlin favorite. I think Gay is probably a good dude, but he can't keep up with the average NFL WR now. Now we hear that Mitchell may be kept around next year and is apparently one of Tomlin's favorites. Mike Mitchell is a pathetically bad safety and his performance ranks near the bottom on the list of NFL safeties. No INTs this year and I'm not sure he had a pass breakup, but Tomlin may want to keep him around with the implication being that he's one of his faves. I just don't get it. JMHOFWIW.

7. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    We need some safeties that can run and create turnovers, Mitchell can't do either.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    What do you know about heartbreak? Are you even old enough to drink?
    If you can't handle them keeping player you don't like you may want to find a different hobby.

9. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    I can handle it.. just know that him being a starting safety next yr will mean we will come up short again.. so why hold out FALSE hope?

10. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    And I saw how devastated fans were after the last 2 playoffs.

11. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I am sorry if Mitchell is playing on this defense next year we better spend all out money on offense cause we are going to need to score at least 45 point next year. Look how many of Mitchell's tackles are after a big gain oh and yeah then he wants to celebrate after that and run his mouth. He can't cover and he can't read and react while playing deep. He is slow and really is a reason why Burns took a step back last season, IMO.

One last thing to all the people that don't want the Steelers to spend the money on Bell so they can fix the D. If they keep Mitchell and his 8m contract that leaves 10 starters coming back where we gonna spend that money to help the defense, sign Bell!!!!!!

12. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    You obviously can't if you're saying you're done for the year if we keep him.

13. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Mitchell was a huge disappointment last season. Yeah no way to keep him at that cap hit. If he'd take a huge pay cut and be kept as a backup I'd be ok with that. As for Bell. They are paying him too much money. Whether they can afford it or make it work is irrelevant. Too much money compared to other top players at his position.
    If he signs the tag and shows up for camp I'll live with it, but if he sits out camp I'm personally done supporting him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Not many players take pay cuts(Ike was a special one) and not many if any will take a pay cut to be a back up. So 2 things we have to keep him and play him and that is bad or we have to cut him and free up 5m. I am hoping they Steelers see what most of us see and they move on from him, this isn't just about money and his play he is a jerk on the field, don't you agree?

As for Bell like I have said many times let's wait and see what he signs for if he does, I am not sure we can get all pissed off over a lot of what people are getting pissed over. Bell is trying to get the most for his talents just like we all do, I know when it comes time to sit down with my boss I talk myself up to get more money. The other thing that a lot of people are missing is that Bell is more than just 1 player, sorry we have a rb & wr all in one. No need to carry a pound it guy and a 3rd down guy we already have that. People keep bring up the price of rb's well look at some of the top guys Fornette and Gurley they are still on their rookie deals and making good money the will get more than 10m and you can bank on that especially if Freeman is going to get 9m next year. Like I have said before no way Bell gets 16m no way but where I think the contract hold up is in guaranteed money and I can understand the Steelers point since he is a 2 strike guy. Me as a fan I want Bell since Ben has 2 good years left and I want the best there is to help Ben and the offense and Bell is the best there is. I just hope now we start looking at rb's like Bell in the draft(Penny, Ballage and Freeman) to get a year under their belt and be ready for 2019. jmo

15. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Especially this year Glenn. With our new OC it will be crucial for everyone to be in camp. It may not change everything but make no mistake this will be Randy fitchners offense and not Todd Haley's. It will have changes and if Bell isn't here for them it will throw many things off to start the year. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Mac very good point I hope if they don't get a deal done Bell get's his butt in on time and I mean camp not season. :thumbs_up:

17. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    But, your boss isn't going to double your salary to keep you on the job when he can hire someone to take your place for less money, bell wants double what the highest paid back makes, and he wants most of it guaranteed from a team that hasn't put big guarantees in any of their contracts before, so are they going to do it this time so future players can use it as a precedent when they negotiate????

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    So I'm supposed to blindly waste energy rooting for something I know will fail?

19. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I can only answer one of them questions, No my boss will not double my money believe it or not I have tried that already ones. However I did get a nice raise out of it and some really nice perks so trying to ask for double as you all say is a negotiation tatic. I think to many people are looking at the avg per year, Freeman is set to make 9.5 and 9.3 in 2020 & 2021. He signed a 5/41.25 so double that Bell is not asking for 82.50. Also these number are so screwed up A rookie(fornette) signed a 4/27 deal, making 8.6 in 2020....a rookie. Bell has shown to be a darn good back one of the best, take all your personal feeling out of this and if a rookie is going to make 27m and 8.6 a year what is a guy who has been tops in the league suppose to ask for? Watch what happens when Gurley has to get signed we will see these numbers going way up. The last thing also is Bell is not just a RB, he is a WR these kind of guys are special. Not 16m special but highest paid special, and sorry there is not anyone in FA that can pick up the slack and counting on Conner is risky at the least. jmo

Also let me add I just noticed McCoy made 10.3m last season.......

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  20. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    First off you don't know that anything is going to fail or not concerning the Steelers.
    You are supposed to support the team. You know what, never mind I'm not gonna waste my time explaining it to you.
    Just remember you said if we keep Mitchell you're done for the year.

21. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    If Mike is the starting Safety then the Team has told the fans don't really believe in we have 1 Goal theory . It is clear that Mike is very bad at his position and no way can this Team go all the way with him as a Starter.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  22. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    It's also saying the other Mike ( Coach ) is very bad at his position. No way, No how should Mitchell be on this team at any price, Let alone what he makes. If he is, Tomlin is more worried about being buddy buddy, than winning

23. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Ok. The same exact player in year like 10 is about to just have some great rejuvenation. Ok I'll wait for it. And don't waste your time you responded to my comment I didn't iniially respond to you...

24. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i will have to counter with kareem hunt. in the first game of the season and when KC actually used him in the passing game the kid abused the patriots running and receiving. there are guys out there that can be those all purpose backs. it's becoming more and more used. some teams take full advantage of them and some don't for some reason. heck sproles has done it for years and never made bell type money. run, block, catch we need the whole package i agree but bell isn't the only guy that can or has done all of this. no conner isn't that guy either. we do need to upgrade this year. can ballage be him? can penny? can johnson? i'd also keep a close watch on walton from miami. for his size he can stonewall pass rushers, catch the ball and many don't know but in his short time at miami he was the 10th leading rusher of all time. ahead of gore and 61 yds. behind mcgahee. all this in just under 2 and a half seasons. i'm sure they are going to be looking. fichtners offense will use the RB's so we need a plan soon if bell is only here 1 more year. :cool:

25. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I agree there are guys out there last year at this time I was screaming for Hunt not many here liked him I also wanted McCaffrey if he fell to us and McGuire later in the draft. I wanted the Steelers to get a RB like this so we weren't in the boat again, but no what did they do get Conner. Great story good kid just not of Bell's skill set. I am not sure Sproles has ever been as good as Bell, he has never been the featured back like Bell. That is what I am getting at Bell does it all is on the field all the time no matter what down. Bell has Bens confidence and that is very important to me in knowing Ben only has a few seasons left. Can these guys you named do what Bell does IDK but what I do know is Bell can do what Bell does and for the next 2 years I would like to see this offense with Ben, Bell, AB, Juju and a solid line. At least going in every year I would feel like on any given day these guys could win any game no matter what happens on the other side of the ball. Speaking of which until Mitchell is gone are we ever really gonna get any better there?

I agree get a RB in here now and hope after this season he is ready for next year, This is the direction I am leaning right now. Is there a better person to learn the RB position from than Bell? Draft a kid with these skill sets and let him learn, next offseason bye bye Bell.......