1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Bell to be franchise tagged, per Rapoport

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by uncblue012, Mar 5, 2018.

1. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I agree. But that is what he wants

2. steel1031

Oct 16, 2011
    Dude. He is a rookie. Lets give him a chance to learn alittle bit

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    You don't think with the window closing Bellichick wouldn' offer up 2 late 1sts? I think he would.

Naturally we wouldn' trade him to the Pats but I think there's a couple NFC teams that will be asking

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    He can't help the club if he's in the tub :shrug:.

5. steel1031

Oct 16, 2011
    That couldve been said for heyward, tuitt, pouncey, even bell at one point.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Difference is a #1 RB needs to touch the ball 20-25 times a game :shrug:, Conner was overdrafted anyway he should've went in the 4th or 5th rd.

7. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    How healthy does Bell stay ? If you use Conner you use PA ,meaning the run fake is the pass protection. Plus I said add a vet. Plent of 3rd. down types available.

8. Danthesteelersman

Danthesteelersman Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2018
    My Issue with Bell is that while I agree he should be paid as the best ( even though in reality he isn't statistically, 2nd to Gurley in scrimmage yards and barely ahead of Hunt) His ask is ludicrous. They upped their offer from last years offer and he said no, he wants minimum annual average of this years tag value. My sense is people go a little over the top over his numbers in the fantasy world, but in reality, he averaged 4 YPC and 4.5 yards per touch, with one of the best Olines in the game, a HOF QB and the best WR in the game. He had 2 runs over 20 yards, he's slow, but an elite pass blocker and receiver.

I believe a guy like Dion Lewis would fill the role beautifully, signing bell totally handicaps them for improving what they need to win the super bowl and that's def, whens the last time a RB carried a team to the SB. They only have 6 mil in cap space and need to make up 8 mil to pay for the tag ( Entire Tag counts towards the cap, long term deal can be spread out over the life of the deal)... you can't devote that much cap room to a RB when you have other needs, especially with Ben done in 2-3 years, its win now and you don't need a 15 mil RB to win in the NFL. An old Deangello Williams had some of his best games of his career with this Offense, I say sign a Dion Lewis or Carlos Hyde for 5-6 mil, shore up the def and Draft some depth at RB and let him go.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    What was zeke Elliot?

10. Danthesteelersman

Jan 3, 2018
    Not in today's NFL, the last 10 Superbowl winners, 2 teams have had a workhorse RB, Seattle with Lynch, and Baltimore with Rice

11. Danthesteelersman

Jan 3, 2018
    That's a pretty unfair comparison, Zeke is a generational talent at RB, Connor was not, is not and never will be on that level

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
  13. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    This Team needs a lot more focus and every practice they are allowed to have . This will be the 2nd. year that Bell has been causing crap . He was offered a fair deal both years now we don't need his camp skipping show up when I want to attitude or might even retire he says.

If not in camp on day 1 he should not be allowed to play RB . If he skips camp again I would put him on every Special Team and make him run the scout Team RB every week ..No player is above the unit .

The Coach should tell him this is what is going to happen .

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Runningback is the easiest position to translate from college to pros. You can see early on. What was Alvin kamara? Kareem hunt?

15. blake duerden

blake duerden Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2017
    ..and then july 16 comes ..

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  16. steel1031

Oct 16, 2011
    Really? U want to compare a top 10 pick to a guy drafted in the 3rd round who is a backup his first yr? Give me a break

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    I guess with the exclusive tag in place they are determined to keep this soap opera alive for another year........

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Yep and that’s exactly what this team doesn’t need...another disgruntled player causing a distraction. They should have used the non exclusive tag and then prayed that someone would make him an offer he couldn’t refuse. Although, I doubt any team could come up with the $$$ his inflated ego is chasing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Ok so they franchised Bell. But the exclusive tag? I know why, Tomlin. Tomlin was the biggest reason that Bell was drafted. For anyone that thought they were going to reach a deal :lolol: And they are not going to. So now the 14.55 will have to be accounted for by March 14th. They are under the cap by 5 and change at this time. And already in with 2 restructures. So how much more to mortgage the future? They best get busy releasing some dead weight. They still have to tender Boswell and Chickillo. And have some money to sign the draft picks. Forget any help on defense in FA. With this all in mentality they best win the Super Bowl this season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    One story said he wanted $14.5 million every year over the life of a long contract? Really? How are the Steelers supposed to negotiate with that? It’s just not going to happen...ever. The Steelers are taking a $14.5 million gamble that he acts right and plays well for this one year. That’s a pretty big gamble when the money could cost you other players you need. Players who actually want to be on the team and work towards a championship.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    What was Alvin kamara? Hell Kareem hunt wasn't even drafted..

22. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    He only averaged 7 yards a catch, hardly elite for a receiver which he claims he is, a receiver with his 7 yard average wouldn't even get drafted......

side note:

Rough waters ahead for Steelers, Bell: Look for the Steelers' stare-down with Bell to last throughout the offseason. NFL Network's Aditi Kinkhabwala reported Tuesday that the two sides still have significant contractual ground to make up. She also wondered if this year's negotiations could get uglier than they did a year ago. A teammate of Bell's told Kinkhabwala that he could see Bell skipping a game or two to prove a point.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Anyone else think Bell will take the James Harrison route to get his way off the team? Make a big enough fool of himself to get the Steelers to pull the tag and he becomes a free agent. They’ve already shown they will cave to these actions twice.

24. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
  25. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Bob Sugar must be Bells agent. That's the only thing that can explain this.