1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

After next season, Bell will be considered the 4th best back in NFL

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Watt Wack, Mar 3, 2018.

1. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    Bell - 3rd in rushing, 4th in rec. yards for RB.

By 2018, he will be the 4th best back.

If he signed for a fair deal, that would be great, but he is refusing to be fair.

2. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Well if you started a worthwhile thread you would get a better response, :shrug:.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    He would've won the rushing title in 2017 if they didn't sit him for the season finale.

4. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    I think he's more referring to modern history. Franck went to Penn State in the 60s and early 70s. Lot has changed since then.

5. We need a change

We need a change Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    Best at what?

6. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
  7. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Being a running back lol

8. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    It's not about a curse. It is about stupid people running the franchise into the ground over and over again, putting even the talented players they stumble upon into impossible situations.

And the Bell discussion isn't about hate. It's about understanding that a long-term deal with him handcuffs the franchise and it is an unwise risk given his red flags. The guy has already been suspended for violating the league's substance abuse policy twice. He has a long history of significant injuries. That he was actually able to finish the 2017 season healthy was an anomaly. Running backs don't get more durable as they age. They break down more, especially with the heavy workload the Steelers have dumped on him the last two seasons. The drop in average per carry from 4.9 to 4.0 is also a significant red flag.

Bell is a special player. I love watching him play and I'd love for him to finish his career as a Steeler, but there are many very good reasons to deny him the long-term contract he wants.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Perhaps, but Gurley was ahead of him and also sat out Week 17.

10. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    See this is where I disagree with everyone I do not believe a long term deal will handcuff this team. Here is why, Ben has 2 years left on his contract then what almost 30 mil is going to come off the books. We have major players signed for the next 2 years. Ab, Juju, oline, Heyward, Tuitt, VW, Hayden, Davis, 2018 draft picks and if we were to sign Bell. We will be tight up against the cap but all the players are set, I have posted how we can cut dead weight and still be able to sign & replace these guys through FA and the draft. After 2 years who care Ben may be gone then we are in cap space heaven. This team is not far off we are returning 9 out of 11 defensive starters just about the whole offense a FA and an impact draft pick we are there.

I get the whole 2 strike thing but since the Steelers are talking long term I think they are feeling the same why I do. As for injury you can't predict them and you can't prevent them so you deal with it, he did play 27 out of 32 games the last 2 years. Bell still puts up great numbers or we wouldn't be having this discussion. Also as to your point about YPC numbers are just that look at what he has done if you think cause his YPC went down .9 is a red flag that is fine I don't last I checked 4 x 3 = 1st down! It is stats like this that makes the haters have reason to not like or want Bell back.

11. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    And if me auntie had bollocks she'd be me uncle.

• Like Like x 1
  12. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Yeah but the Steelers were playing the Browns :dancing:, so I think Bell would've won it.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  13. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I love Bell, but man he is a huge risk right now. Thing is he is like 40% our offense. I just feel his knees are gonna explode or something. He is not the shifty elusive back he was pre 2016. he is smart, strong, can block well but he is missing that half second breakaway speed he had before. Don't get me wrong he is still a top 5 back right now maybe top 3, but pre 2016 he was the clear BEST back in the NFL.

14. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Bell will be in the running for "best back in the NFL" next year barring injury.
    If the Rams have a cupcake schedule next year, Gurley wins.

15. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

This.

In comparison, Ezekiel Elliot tore holes through Wisconsin and Alabama en route to a desolate thrashing of Oregon.

No doubt Barkely will be great but from my perspective, Quenton Nelson is as good a player as I have seen in since 2010. Yes, it has been that long. Heck, he may be the best interior lineman to come out since Steve Hutchinson.

Again, if I am Cleveland, nab both Barkley and Nelson; trade back into the first round later and acquire a quarterback from there.