1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Combine

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by mac daddyo, Mar 1, 2018.

1. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Said the same thing about Reid. He has been quite good thus far. Cannot wait to see the rest personally.

Godwin Igwebuike also had a 4.45 as well. Should Vander Esch be drafted in Round One, perhaps that, depending on how well he performs for the remainder of today that Igwebuike could be in play for Round Two.

2. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    Didn't get a chance to watch any but my VT boy Tremaine Edmuds sounded like he had a good performance.... not sure if he'll fall to us though.

3. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

I would not be shocked if Tremaine is a Top Five pick pending on which teams would trade. His brother Terrell is doing very well too.

As I see it, he is a game changing talent without question. I would even go as far to say as he is far better than Jaylon Smith before the Fiesta Bowl injury.

4. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    Wow! The other safety out of Penn State just blew the doors off the combine!

What's his story? Anyone have any insight on him? I've never even heard his name before today.

EDIT: his name is Troy Apke #28 at Penn State

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  5. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011

I am interested in all these players. Very nice size. People forget Lev Bell plays at around 225.

6. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    He might have potential, he had to play behind Rueben Foster another first round pick. CJ Mosley turned out to be good :shrug:.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    There seems to be quite a few HT-WT speed safeties in this draft, not sure how good of football players they are. That Arizona safety is one ran a 4.44.

8. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

I agree about the level of "freaks" we are seeing among the safeties.

Personally though, I see the evolution of the safety position taking form. The most coveted ones can no longer be suited to simply doing one position extremely well while testing well enough. Ironically enough, thank the High School and Collegiate levels for switching many of these players positions; namely from Wide Receiver to a defensive back.

They have to perform a multi-arrary of roles while testing either very good to exceptional.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  9. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I wouldn't mind the Steelers drafting two of those guys to play in the secondary.

10. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    Speaking of good, mac daddyo was correct about Godwin Igwebuike. Had himself an impressive showing.

I would not mind him being a possible Round Three option if we opt for something else in Round Two.

11. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I know early on awhile back there was talk about Igwebuike on here. He was the first prospect I watched and was not impressed then and I just got done with the Penn St game and even more unimpressed. Man it looks like every time he goes for a tackle he is either on the ground or diving at the legs. He also is stuck in his lane on pursuit and often wiffs on the tackle. I watched him on the goal line just let the rb go right by for a wide open td. In the mid 4th he got kicked out for helmet to helmet on a bone head play. Vs Penn ST he didn't do anything in the pass game that made me notice him.

I know some players test good at the combine but the "underwear olympics" just isn't imo what makes me want to draft a guy. Also I know there are players who end up being better pros than college players. However with this draft being pretty deep at S James, Harrison, Reid and Elliott at the top and Watts, Blanding, White, Matthews, Reaves, Webb and Flowers mid to late I would like to look at them more.

12. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Don't paint all Bama LBs with the same brush. CJ is legit and Foster is an idiot off the fiel, he will develop into a great talent if he can stay on the field.

Evans tape is solid and I think he is a great athlete. I think most agreed that in positional drills at the Combine he looked the best.

As mentioned, doubt he reaches #28 though.

13. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Pass defense and on field skills are not that great. The numbers with all that talent around him freeing him up should be much better. Sure he looks good in shorts but those average numbers will decrease even more in the NFL against much better talent. I just don't see top 28 numbers from him. I have seen him even dropped to the 2 nd round on many sights rankings. Those seem much more accurate to me. Nope not a big fan for who we are trying to replace. I still think he is closer to Vince than Ryan. :cool:

14. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Mac...I think you are getting too hung up on trying to find Shaziers replacement. The truth is we aren't going to find anyone that can run like him. The D scheme was predicated on his unique abilities ,we're gonna have a real hard time trying to find someone that can fulfill his roles and responsibilities. I think the coaches are most likely considering a different approach and plan of attack knowing quite well we can't really run the same D without him....I'm pretty sure his replacements roles and responsibilities will be changing and guys will be asked to do different things. I highly doubt we are gonna try and run the same scheme without Shazier.....I hope our coaches are smarter than that....

We need to draft or sign a ILB with a high football IQ that can run the D and put guys in position. The run D can use a serious upgrade at ILB as well. I'm not really worried about how great he can cover if we can't find a way to stop the run first. If we can force teams into obvious passing situations there are things we can do with our nickel and dime to help in the passing game. Finding a safety that can adequately play deep middle will go a long way into assuring we can put other guys in position to cover TEs and RBs....

.........besides don't we have Dupree to shut down half the field with his unique coverage skills.

15. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    The clowns will draft him #1 and grab one of the QB's at #4. Possibly Mayfield. Unfortunately the clowns have a boatload of cap space as well. Yea yea I know, it's the clowns but this might be the season they get over the hump while we watch the bungles and crows implode

16. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

17. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    So mac, who do you like at ILB in this draft?

We have to fix the situation. We can't go into the season with Dirty Red and Sean Spence at that position.

18. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Boy, just reading that made me cringe. lol

Does everything come down to one question? And that question being, Can the guy cover Gronk? Yes or no?
    To me, it's really that simple. If he can stop the run, that's a bonus.

Bottom line, If you can't stop Gronk, you can't win the Super Bowl. It's amazingly simple when you think about it.

"Can he stop Gronk, sir? No? NEXT!"

19. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    Are we really discussing replacing someone like Ryan Shazier? That is not possible. Shazier's talents allowed Butler to use the entire defense in a multi arrary of formations and schemes based purely from Shazier's athletic gifts.

In short, Ryan Shazier was essentially a "Universe" player; someone who's entire scheme and philosophy revolved around that particular individual. Players like Joey Bosa and Jalen Ramsey also fall under this category.

Outside of Tremaine Edmunds for me, there really is not a "Universe" caliber linebacker within striking distance. As odd as this sounds though, I am quite optimistic about this. Now, Butler will have to create schemes based on the pieces he has.

One final caveat regarding the whole "Universe" player idea. I personally do believe we just might have another already on that defense; one that will operate differently from Shazier but can provide a multi arrary of assets. His name? T.J. Watt

20. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    That's what I'm saying...you can't replace Shazier.....at least not in this draft. I agree with being able to use Watt as a jack of all trades but it is essential to find a viable threat off the edge so we can move Watt around and stuff ll bring pressure. Maybe Keion Adams can turn into a situational pass rusher for us allowing Watt to use his athleticism all over the field....

21. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    There really isn't a LB alive that can cover Gronk 1 on 1 ....what about the other 15 teams we play and our LBs can't stop the run? You can't build your LB Corp to stop 1 guy, plus the way he's talking he might not be playing much longer anyway.

22. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I'm curious as well....

23. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i think spence is gone that was a knee jerk reaction on our part and never would have happened if matakevich was healthy. dirty red is always around the ball and can tackle. don't write him off yet.

i like the edmonds brothers. size and speed to make plays. tramaine could be there for us especially since LVE, evans and landry have shown well at the combine.

i've also been pimping fred warner and oren burks very early this year before the season even ended. leon jacobs from wisconsin i think was playing out of position for the cheese heads. he did have 5 starts on the inside for them so it's not a new position for him. they run our defense too as we have seen from TJ. easy to learn if he's familiar with it. he's big, strong and fast.:cool:

24. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    I think Tremaine goes top 10 but we will see.

I really like Terrell.

I know you'e high on White from wva too eh? Will have to give him and oren burks a good look.

25. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Fred Warner too. I like these guys as that hybrid LB/SS type players instead of the traditional SS or ILB. We may not be able to replace shazier but I always liked the 3 safety look we have been trying to run for years but just didn't have the players to do it. Remember even last year we experimented with bringing gay down into the box as a hybrid small LB. With any of these guys we can run this type of D. With they're added size but pass defense capabilities it gives us a better and bigger player to move around. More capabilities.

In college these guys were moved all over the defense from rushing the passer to ILB to covering the slot, TEs or even RBs. It allows us to use 2 safeties in coverage in more of a conventional look ( davis- Allen- wilcox- m.golden-dangerfield- draft pick) and 3 corners ( haden- sutton- Hilton or burns) whatever combination you want to use and it can still help coverage, rush the passer or help in run support. Win- win- win.:cool:

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018