1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Bell to be franchise tagged, per Rapoport

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by uncblue012, Mar 5, 2018.

1. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Yeah and no one is gonna give it to him next year either....especially after another year of 400 touches. Someone needs to knock some sense into him....his agent ....his family....somebody.

Hate to use him as a example but Bell should realize how fast things can change with what happened to Shazier. He is being offered a very fair deal for at least a few years,idk the details by year but sounds like 13.5 for at least 3-4 years...you gotta take that money and the security it provides....l

2. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Nah this is actually one case and one instance where I'm all for the team letting him walk. Would like to believe that it'd send a message in the club house, but I doubt it. I almost want to hear the amount of sh-I-t he would talk afterwards to really gauge how stupid he seems to be at times. It's just the eye test, but I see him in decline already for what he wants. Sure he is a gamer... But his usefulness is gonna continue to get buried stat wise and stats are what comman and drive up these kids financial demands.

Plain and simple, they weren't any better in crunch time with him than without him this past post season. His stats are down this past season. His mouth is up for sure.

As dumb as some teams are, I don't see them agreeing to a trade if he'd sign his deal. Been wrong before, but he's been over used due to stupid coaching... Injured a bit cause those happen (especially when you're overused) and dumb to boot. Don't really see an upside to keeping him around.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. shadowmaker

shadowmaker Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  4. Steelsax

Steelsax Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Steelers need to let Bell walk, I seriously doubt he'll find a team out there that will meet his ridiculous demands!

• Agree Agree x 5
  5. dirgaf65

dirgaf65 New Member

Mar 5, 2018

I agree...try to make a trade with cleveland..get Barkley and no# 4 pick....

• Like Like x 1
  6. dirgaf65

dirgaf65 New Member

Mar 5, 2018

7. dirgaf65

dirgaf65 New Member

Mar 5, 2018
    I agree. Try to trade to Cleveland and take Barkley at no#1 and a no#4...

8. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Anyone see Terrell Davis on NFL Network last night? He was saying that Bell deserves $20 million a year because of the number of touches he gets per game. His CTE must be kicking in because there’s no way he should get that kind of money!

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Common now he has to pay the high coin for those great rap recordings #rapgiant :lolol:

11. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    The worst would be he holds out into the season and Mitchell is still center field with cement block shoes. Really the latter would send me over the edge...

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Remember, this is the same Bell who was immensely proud to have worked out to the extent he had virtually no body fat.

Which is actually unhealthy, even for a pro athlete.

That seems to be a bit of forewarning now about how he approaches contract negotiations - go for a number because it seems good, whether it's healthy to or not.

13. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I dont know if he would sign a 3 yr deal at 14? I think he wants 5

14. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Anyone suggesting we let Bell walk is nuts. That's an even worse idea than breaking the bank for him.

1. Tag him and run him into the ground trying to get that 7th ring.

Or

2. Tag and trade. Someone out there must be willing to part with a couple 1st round picks for one of the best RBs in the league.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    They cant trade him to anyone right now, you all dont seem to understand that he is a free agent but cant negotiate until free agency starts march 12-14, mean while they have to tag him by the tag deadline which is march 6 before FA begins, so the only option they have is to tag him and if they use the exclusive again he is off the market for another year but if they want to trade him they can go with the non exclusive and he can negotiate with other teams but the team that wants to sign him will be on the hook for two 1 picks to the steelers which is negotiable.........

16. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Bell is averaging only 4ypc with a pro bowl O line, HOF QB, the best WR in the league... he can block and catch but his running is slowing down, knees are shot, 1 toke from a suspension, and is demanding to cripple the Steelers because of his salary. He ain't barry sanders lol.

Barry had nothing and was still a beast, Bell has everything around him.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  17. SteelerfnVA

SteelerfnVA Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2011
    I think it’s too much to pay for a RB. I know he is one of the best right now but with the money we could save we can possibly fill a few needs. We need better defensive players at mlb and S. I love the D.Lewis idea and a pick to fill in with Conner and all 3 would only cost around 5-7 mil. Now there would be 8-10 mill left that we didn’t use on the tag to improve the D. I can’t see liking the move if we tag him or sign him for 10+ a yr. Just not good numbers in my opinion.

18. Danthesteelersman

Danthesteelersman Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2018
    People don't seem to get that, they are all hung up on his 80 catches, people need to distinguish between fantasy stats and real life numbers, real life Ball isn't even #1 in total yards, 2nd to gurley and barely ahead of hunt. Any talented RB would thrive with this offense.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    1 is the only option no one is giving up a single first round pick nevermind 2. I like LB I wanted to draft him coming out but there are a lot of talented RBs out there that would also excell playing in this O. The value of paying RBs just isn't there and he's out of his mind turning that down. Like I said I like LB a lot but with all the things he does very well he's not irreplaceable especially at that price....like Tomlin said to Fast Willie you walk by 6 Lombardis not 6 rushing titles....C'mon LB come back to reality.....

20. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Exactly, though I'm not a fan of the tag and trade option and I don't think any team is giving up even one first-round pick for one year of Bell.

I think they end up going with the tag and run him until the wheels fall off. I'm assuming his agent knows this, so that might push the holdout into the season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I'm tired of this game of tag. It's been two years already. When do Colbert and Bell get to play Red Rover?

22. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    So tired of this clown...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  23. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I agree with this and I know this whole tag thing has to get done today so it is not a surprise, we still have until June to get a deal done but I wish it would just get done already. The other thing is yeah they are Lombardy trophy's and not rushing titles but Bell is more that a running back. I hope Bell coming out and saying he wants 16m is just a negotiating tactic cause even I(who has been his biggest defender here) wouldn't give him 16m. I will say one thing I hope the Steelers are looking hard at guys like Penny, Ballage and Freeman cause if Bell is serious about 16m I want a RB in here for a year before he takes Bell's spot and we tell Bell to hit the road after this season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    Grow a pair, Steelers. F'n grow a pair.

• Like Like x 1
  25. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011