1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Mitchell

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelers2018, Mar 5, 2018.

1. Steelers2018

Steelers2018 Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Don’t let the door hit ya

2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    :lollmao:

3. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Most virtuous team in the NFL.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. TOMSTEEL88

TOMSTEEL88 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Mitchell sucks . This is ridiculous. I'm about done with this Tomlin favorite crap .

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    In all seriousness, this "teacher's pet" mentality has got to go. The ONLY thing that should matter in the NFL is whether or not a player will be able to help you ON THE FIELD OF PLAY! They could be the greatest guy in the world, but if they hurt the team on the field then you have to make objective decisions to improve the quality of the product you put on the field. It's that simple. You can't play favorites in this league just because you like someone or you pall around with them or whatever. I'm starting to see a little too much of this out of Tomlin and it's not good.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I agree with a lot of what you are saying. Here's my thing. Mitchell is a below average saftey. Ill even agree that he's a bottom 5 starting saftey as you said. But he is a lot better than Golden and Wilcox. If the Steelers are going to upgrade the position, they are going to have to spend money. After they franchise Bell we may not have the money to spend, and if they spend it in FA it will be on an ILB IMHO. So that leaves enough money to sign another bottom tier saftey who may not even be as good as Mitchell. Like it or not, Mitchell is coming back. I can see them drafting a player early. But even if they do that, they still need Mitchell to fill the gap until the kid they draft is ready to play.

7. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Salary cap has increased by 10 million.....buh bye Mitchell....go sign a safety.

8. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    We all will watch a repeat performance if he is retained. But times what ever number you can come up with. I just can't fathom after watching tape, isolating, that the coaching staff actually could come to the conclusion to keep him. He was the worst player on this defense! I saw it! How these professionals actually can't see it and justify his play? Sickening. I'm sorry I would take a chance on Wilcox and drafting someone. Mitchell is absolutely horrible. Just watch. But we all have seen this already.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Man I hope he stays.

10. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Dude calm down, let it play out they aren't keeping Mitchell with a cap hit of 8 million.

11. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Man, I hope you're right. If not, I'm going to need to get my doctor to double my BP meds! :frustrated:

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Fixed it for you.

13. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Who?

14. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Ok

15. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Don't let the heartbreak hurt ya

16. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    sorry mike, its been real, its been fun but it hasn't been real fun. :cool:

17. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Kevin Colbert made it clear that they need to get better and that will require changes in personnel.

Offense is pretty well set.

Filter your way around the defense, and it doesn’t take long for Mitchell to be in the crosshairs.

18. Steelers2018

Steelers2018 Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Heartbreak of what? You’re the one already crying? Strap on your helmet go play Safety if you’re better

19. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

:cool:

20. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I'm ok with it if Mitchell takes Vet minimum to stay and be a back-up. I think he would be a good insurance policy if he comes cheap.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  21. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Out of interest, Jack, where do you think you see a teacher's pet mentality? (This is not me defending Tomlin, I'm genuinely interested)

Like I said in my earlier post, I'm not clear on what this 'Tomlin's favourite' is being based on, as we're so short on Safety talent. It's a similar case with William Gay - there's a case for saying we've held on to him for too long, but there's a fairly objective case for him staying (position flexibility, able to run the defense). At least for last season; I'm not sure we'll see him around next year.

There may well be plenty of evidence for it that we don't see from outside the organisation, like he allows Mitchell to push in the line at lunch time or something, or always picks him to answer a question even when Sean Davis has his hand up first. But if it's just the case that Mitchell is a starter when he's not that good, the issue could well be the limited options to replace him as much as whether Tomlin likes him or not.

22. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    I saw him kiss JUJU on the sideline, does that count?:hehehe:

23. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Funny when C S Mitchell was niked up in the beginning of last season I recall JJ Wilcox coming in and he played pretty well with limited time to prepair with the system. I didn't single him out with distain as I did game in and out with Mitchell. 5 mill cap savings if he is cut. That Alone is a great reason. Draft a safety high and have Haden call the defensive backfield signals. Their is also talk of Wilcox staying around in which I would be on board with.

24. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

I was one of the supporters of Mitchell on this board but after last years fiasco I am starting to wonder if its time to move on. I really dont see why they would want to keep em to be quite honest

25. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Difficult to make a call on Wilcox with such limited playing time. The only game he played much in was against the Bears I think? And he got an INT.

On his previous body of work, Wikipedia notes:
    "During the 2015, Wilcox began developing an identity for delivering hard hits, but also missing tackles. Pro Football Focus ranked him 47th of 63 safeties in tackle efficiency. He also missed 2.6% of his tackles while in deep coverage and was ranked the 79th best overall safety, out of 89 who qualified, for the season."

If I was going to draft a safety or two I might be tempted to stick with the likes of Malik Golden and Dangerfield as back ups, given the salary difference.

Still, interesting that in February there were reports of Wilcox getting cut, and now reports are he maybe staying, but only if he takes a pay cut.

• Agree Agree x 1