1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Mitchell

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelers2018, Mar 5, 2018.

1. Steelers2018

Steelers2018 Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    This seems like they won’t be goin after any of the bigger name guys and they believe Mitchell is just as good as the second tier of FA safeties. Seems like they’ll keep him and draft a Safety high

2. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Is a Mike Tomlin favorite...:facepalm:

If Mike Mitchell is starting at free safety for the Steelers in 2018, I may not watch a game. This is absolutely unbelievable that they'd even consider bringing this big talker and little walker back! This is why Tomlin will not be able to coach the Steelers to the next level. He lacks the gonads to be able to make tough decisions when the need calls for it, especially when they're on his favorite list i.e. Mike Mitchell, Joey Porter...:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 2
  3. Steelers2018

Jan 17, 2018
    You can have favorites based on the way you carry yourself and leadership. There’s no denying his passion for the game. So I have no problem with that. Just don’t let favoritism get in the way of production on the field

4. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    This kind of stuff is why I might really pull in my fandom reigns. Mitchell is a Tomlin "favorite?" I'm near done.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Mitchell is an absolute IDIOT. He ranks right up there with Joey Porter. Having passion is one thing. Hines Ward had passion. A lot of Steelers players have had passion for the game. Passion doesn't mean you go to the opposing team's locker room and scream and holler that "you gonna know my name at the end of the day" like Mitchell did before that playoff game with the Jags before he laid a complete egg! The tweet says he had a down season in 2017. Has he had an up season since he's been here? If he did, I must have missed it!

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Steelers2018

Jan 17, 2018
    one I’m not going to argue with you. Two it was clearly a down season and he played hurt. Go look at the numbers and 2015 he had a real solid year. You must have missed it correct. Three can you provide a link to where Mitchell did that? I never heard about that.
    Also you’re going out of context with talking about his play. My point was just because you don’t like his play on the field, doesn’t mean he can’t be a favorite and he’s not a good locker room guy. That being said I want to upgrade the safety position. But if they’re not gonna go after Vaccaro or Boston. Just brining in another name thats average to satisfy people that don’t like Mitchell isn’t the best option. When Mitchell already knows the defense. Also who would you like them to get to replace him?

7. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I've kind of been saying this in all the other Mike Mitchell sucks themed threads. I'm not sure the Steelers are as down on Mitchell as the fans are. It won't surprise me at all if he starts week 1 next season.

Personally I'm not a fan, but I'm also not as down on him as everyone else is. He's a below average starter. But we could do a lot worse.

8. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    I'd take Donnie S(bad word) at his ripe old age with an arthritic hip over Mitc(bad word)!

If the Steelers FO is incapable of improving the safety position in the off-season then we need some new FO folks! Mike Mitchell's season was not only a down season, it was a season of historically PATHETIC proportions! The guy had no INTs. He's never had many INTs. You want your free safety to create a few turnovers for you. He doesn't play the ball. He wants to deliver the big hit and he's not Ryan Clark! Not trying to argue with you, but I think Mitchell is a major weak link on this team and if Tomlin can't see that because he's a teacher's pet, then this makes me doubt Tomlin even more than I already do. I think it was a foregone conclusion by most everyone that Mitchell is history. His cap hit is over $8 million next season. He isn't worth a fraction of that!

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    He's a Tomlin favorite. LOL.

He's also a favorite of any QB throwing over the top too.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Steelers2018

Jan 17, 2018
    If they Draft a Safety within the first two rounds that would be “upgrading the position”. Also I asked you specifically who YOU yourself would like them to get to upgrade the position. You must have somebody in mind

11. Steelers2018

Jan 17, 2018
    That’s some quality context to the discussion

12. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Lol. "Near done"
    I wouldn't be getting all knee jerk over some guy's opinion on Twitter.

13. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I don't really want to keep Mitchell, but he could be a serviceable backup if he'd be willing to accept that role and a pay cut.

14. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    I think there are some decent free agent safeties out there. I wouldn't mind making a run at Vacarro or Eric Reid. A lot of folks are pimping Tre Boston and he certainly made a case for himself in 2017 after having disappointing seasons the two years prior. Peruse the list of free agent safeties. There are several I'd take over Mitchell in a heartbeat. Safety is a huge need and we need to draft one in the first 2 rounds in the draft. I'd draft two safeties in the first 5 rounds. We've got to get better play from that group this season and that starts with sending Mitchell and his big mouth packing!

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Steelers2018

Jan 17, 2018
    You know that some guy covers the Steelers for espn? He probably has a decent idea

16. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Mitchell has left a lot to be desired since getting signed here. I've appreciated his effort a handful of times, but he has not been worth the money paid and is not worth a restructure to save his cap hit. I'd go as far as saying they don't need him here if he was here for FREE. He simply is not good enough for what they need.

• Agree Agree x 6
  17. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    I understand your point (maybe not as terrible as fans think) but you last line I find inaccurate. In reality, they couldn't do much worse, unless you talking about starting a non-NFL player in his spot. Of the 32 starting NFL free safeties, MM ranks between 27th and 31st on most lists. So, we really can't do much worst. The eye test even reveals this guy stinks; not only does he suck in coverage, he sucks at tackling too. Not to mention he is a 1st class a hole. How many times does he celebrate after giving up a 1st down, but he thinks he made a good hit (which is usually not even true)?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2755357-nfl1000-ranking-the-top-free-safeties-of-2017-season

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  18. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
  19. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    He sucks. He blows. He goes for the big hit. He's a cheapshot artist. And he's overpaid for those roles. Get him the hell out of here along with Bell. Buh bye!

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Yeah an "idea".
    Bouchette cover the Steelers for the Post Gazette and he's wrong a lot.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
  22. Steelers2018

Jan 17, 2018
    So in other words you have just as good of an IDEA as a guy that is around the team a lot and covers them?

23. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Nope. Just telling Watt not to give up on the team over something that may or may not be true.

24. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I was thinking the other day about how we’re all so down on Mitchell, he’ll probably end up staying.

We simply must draft a safety high in the draft, regardless of what we do in FA.

As to the Tomlin’s favourite comment, difficult to know what that’s based on. It’s not like Tomlin has kept Mitchell on the field when a superior talent is on the bench. And the reason we don’t have the talent on the bench is because better players at other positions were picked instead of safeties...

Hopefully that’s going to change this draft.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  25. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    If he stays I'm out for the yd