1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

ILB

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by mac daddyo, Dec 5, 2017.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    He's not the same player after all those injuries, he didn't do much with the Raiders last season.

2. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    I'm very interested in drafting this player, he is the real deal:

Boise State redshirt junior LB Leighton Vander Esch said that he's been told by multiple scouts and agents that he will be drafted no later than the second round.
    Vander Esch (6'4/240) declared for the draft earlier on Thursday. While he has not yet heard back from the NFL draft advisory board, the early buzz he has received has been encouraging. A stout run defender, the linebacker absolutely dominated on the statistical board this season, registering 141 tackles (third most in the NCAA), four sacks and a pair of interceptions for the campaign. "Leighton’s a very good player," one scout told the Idaho Statesman, "got the height, weight, the speed, he’s productive, he’s got great length." That evaluator added that Vander Esch "has all the measurables you want." Thu, Dec 21, 2017 04:02:00 PM

http://seahawksdraftblog.com/leighton-vander-esch-declares-for-the-draft

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
  3. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Seeing a lot of mocks with the Alabama ILB and safety.

Evans if he's available at 28 would be a steal. Most of what I've seen shows he can tackle and displays great form doing so. He's not a big hit without wrapping you up kind of guy. haven't seen much about him dropping into coverage though.

Absolutely love how he takes on RB's by getting lower and wrapping up.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
  4. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    The more tape I watch on Rashaan Evans, the more I see him as my top choice at #28.

He is a sideline to sideline LB.

When he hits someone they usually do not go forwards.

He can blitz from the inside and off the edge.

He is an Alabama Senior which is rare as most of their stars declare early.

He was certainly the best athlete in the Bama front 7. He will probably run low 4.6 although on tape he looks like a 4.5 guy.

The negatives?

I see him listed as 6'3 235. He doesn' look that big to me. He doesn't look much bigger than Roquan Smith. I wouldn' be surprised if Evans is short of 6'2.

Evans really isn' a playmaker. Although I've heard him described as a difference maker.

I've seen him cover, and it's pretty good. Not sure it's a strength though. Let him play with eyes in the backfield and the game in ront of him.

Despite being a great athlete, he is a little stiff. Doesnt have that twitchy stop and cut on a dime.

In the end I think he is the best option at #28. I just think he is a better player than the Safeties that may be around like Harrison, Reid and Elliott.

Will he make it to #28? Let's hope, but I think a team like the Saints would be crazy to pass on him.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I like his measurebles and motor

6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    He and Josey Jewell and tegray scales and Fred Warner and skai Moore and Chris worley are all guys that can play the pass well and play a versatile game from the LB spot. I'm waiting to see how well they run in the next few weeks. There are some good ones later in this draft as well as early in this one, which is good for us.:cool:

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
  7. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    I'm holding out hope for Rashaan Evans but man does he kook like he could go to the Saints at #27.

I'm trying to like Malik Jefferson more than I have previously.

6'2 240 with pretty athleticism. He's more quick and agile than he is downhill speed. Evans looks faster on tape but my guess is that Jefferson will have a good Combine.

I think Jefferson can be slow to diagnose plays. He looks his best as a run and chase LB.

He is not a playmaker at all.

He looks more in the mold of Zack Cunningham and Jarrad Davis in last year'
    Draft. I cringed at those guys last year but without Shazier now, it's a different story.

I think Jefferson might have a little Derrick Johnson in him. Steady LB who will rack up 100 tackle seasons.

The thing I like most about him is that Olinemen can't get a hand on him. He is very elusive in that regard.

It's questionable whether Evans makes it #28 but I'm pretty sure Jefferson will be theranother guy to keep a close eye on at the combine.

8. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

9. LoneGranger

LoneGranger Well-Known Member

May 5, 2016
    No need for a QB. If you aren't picking in the first 10 picks, then for a QB you just get another Dobbs or Landry. Safety is needed without a doubt. ILB is a real need, maybe two. A run stopping DT is needed. A DE to back up Cam and Tuitt or better yet one to compete for their playing time. Steelers need an OLB who is a football player, not an wunderkind athlete. I don't believe Lambert or Butkus or Nitschke would have wow anyone at a combine but they could play football. Please not another Dud at OLB. Man Colbert has some really bad scouts and/or he and Tomlin suck at player evaluation and interviewing. Whoever is scouting WRs can point to a great find in the 6th or 7th round.

10. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

Agreed we don't need a QB at this time and this was made before Ben said he would be back for at least 3 more years. I agree about an OLB but in today's game it's hard to stock pile talent so I will assume we will see what we have from two guys we had in waiting huguenin and Adams which was a draft pick. Chickillo has improved and bud will get one more shot at it. There was absolutely no reason we kept moats as long as we did.

ILB is a biggie but not just any will do. We need one that can cover and play the run. We have the supposed run stuffers but Vince needs to do a better job of that. I do think red will eventually surpass him. We need a batman to our Robin's.

I like our DEs and our backups. Alualu played pretty well and Walton does a pretty good job as well. We do need another DT type that can run.

Finally we get to the safety spot. I've said many times about Davis to FS and Allen being moved back there too. In these sub packages ID like to see us mix it up with 3 safety looks at times. I think we should draft a big SS to move to that move LB spot and a ballhawking safety to use in sub packages with the two others I've mentioned and maybe another SS as depth. Even a bigger corner that can be moved back there or a fast enough pass defending good tackling type. They are in this draft. So that's one big corner that can be moved to safety, a big SS to move to shazier spot as a LB and a SS that has some ball skills and can run and tackle.

We also need a RB.

WR for next year to team with juju and AB. Martavis will probably be gone after this year. We are already down Eli.:cool::cool:

11. bedwyr

bedwyr Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    That's my guy.

12. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Mac I so agree I haven't spent a great amount of time but what I have seen I have been impressed with. I really feel we could get a starter as far down as round 4 and it wouldn't surprise me if it were later. Some names that have impressed me on top of the ones you listed are: McCray, Burks, Leonard, Worley and Cabinda. Another name I want to watch more on cause they talk about him as a cover guy is Kenny Young from UCLA, with the NFL going more pass happy might be a gauy to keep an eye on later in the draft to develop.

13. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I have mentioned Burks and worley before. Burks is smart too. He's pretty good sized to go with some speed and brains. Worley I like for sure. His numbers may not be great but with the front oh.St. had he got less chances to make plays. They were already made. He is capable though and very good at downfield coverage.

Parris Bennett from Syracuse is another to look at. Travin Howard from TCU I really like. This kid makes plays and so does his safety team mate Nick orr. Mike Needham from southern Utah led the team in tackles and interceptions. He could probably play some SS too. I'll be waiting for him to run at his pro day. 6-3 215 estimated at 4.59. These guys are out there that could help a team, we just have to find them. :cool:

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  14. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    In round 1 or 2?

15. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    I just don't like Josey Jewell. Most of his highlights were against mediocre teams IMHO. I'm just thinking his ceiling is as a decent starter, but this team needs someone well above average to plug the Shazier hole.

16. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    NFL draft scout has him going to Pittsburgh at pick 28 in the mock by Rob rang. :cool:

17. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  18. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Lots of good stuff here I see some good point and some bad points. I don't like letting DHB go but I do like signing Janis, I think if we keep Vance there is no way we draft a TE with 3 already here. I am a Leonard fan but not sure he is 1st round material but it is early. Starting to come around to bringing in DJ at ILB only if he comes cheap and we draft a guy he can teach.:thumbs_up:

• Like Like x 1
  19. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    It is rare to see the Steelers take a true Senior with their first round pick. I think we need to focus in on juniors coming out early at the S and ILB positions, maybe OLB who can move inside in our D (a guy playing in a 4/3 who is outside right now, but will slide inside in our D) that is who we should focus on in the draft IMO.

20. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    If we don't go ILB in Round 1, does Shaquem Griffin become a realistic option at #60.

I remember watching him during the season and he really stood out. Tested well today.

Gotta go back and take a closer look.

21. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Jewell reminds me of a bigger Matakevich.

22. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
  23. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    he's for real. i've watched him play many times. good kid too. pick him attach a hook and let him go after brady. :smiley1::cool:

• Like Like x 2
  24. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    What makes you say that, the guy is at the end of the road he is looking for a ring we are in need could see it happening. It is not like he is going to command top dollar that boat sailed awhile ago.

25. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    He is slllooow now. You can tell the injuries have hobbled him. Yeah, he could probably call the defense and get guys in position, but he truly is a shell of his former self when it comes to athletic ability.