1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Ryan Shazier 2018

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by brosonke, Feb 28, 2018.

1. brosonke

brosonke Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2018
  2. Ratkomladic

Ratkomladic Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2013
    Will We pay Him 8.7 millions for not playing????? Will he ever play a snap again??? I mean Right now he cant walk..

3. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Let's not kid ourselves, Ryan Shazier will never play competitive football again. I think a few of us are reluctant to say that but that's a fact. This is too devastating an injury to come back from. And before anyone asks, no, I'm not a doctor and I didn't stay at a HI Express last night. But I am a realist and the guy has done significant damage to his spine. Shazier is not ready to admit this because he is a ferocious competitor. I admire that immensely but his playing days are over, folks. It's sad, but unfortunately true.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I havent read alot about it but what exactly did he do to it. I mean are there long term effects? I ask becuase i have heard some say playing again is an option. I personally wouldnt consider it but i am far from an elite level athlete

5. Go 'lers

Go 'lers Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2015
    It's a shame but not a surprise. I personally thought right after that game that he wouldn't play again even after regaining movement in his legs. Not to mention the risk of further injury is too great. Spinal stabilization is a very delicate operation and you're told to talk extreme precautions for the rest of your life.

This isn't just advice for a football player, a doctor would tell anyone that activities as routine as biking or skiing can aggravate the repaired area or open someone up to greater damage.

This isn't a Rocky Bleier type of injury, the consequences are far more severe. It's been a great ride but for the sake of his own health Ryan Shazier should announce his retirement.

We'll miss ya, #50!

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Rhys Lightning 63

Rhys Lightning 63 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2015
    That makes MLB #1 priority in the draft now in my books

7. blake duerden

blake duerden Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2017
    Optimism is there and ill believe until there isnt. I read that laser surgery is faster than open back from 3 to 6 mth recovery compared to 6 to 12 mth. Good news is he had successful surgery and possitive rehab so far. what is the severity levels of the injury which probably decides the long term affects? I shalieve and pray for him

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. PDXSteelers

PDXSteelers Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I had surgery in my neck (2 level fusion) last summer and the surgeon hasn't ruled anything out for next summer, including biking and skiing. I don't know how you can categorically say that the doctor has ruled out any activity.

9. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    I wondered what there was to gain my Colbert even making this announcement. ANYONE with half a working brain knows RS wasn't going to play next season, and highly probable he will never play again, so why did Colbert feel the need to even state it? The only possible outcome to making such a statement would be to take wind out of RS's sails. (I'm not saying it was KC's goal, but that is all that would be created by announcing it.) Why not make a vague statement such as "Ryan's situation is something we will take week by week" or something like that?

10. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    Maybe Colbert wants the league to be clear that we’re open to trade/draft pick offers and whatnot...?

11. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Making a team vulnerability clear to everybody else is stupid and Colbert isn't stupid.

12. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
  13. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Poor guy, walking away from the game is hard enough for the older guys...must be rough when you're in your prime.

14. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    he says he will play again, and I read that he was walking on his own now...... I personally just want him to have a normal life

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Wouldnt go that far. The fact that he is standing already is pretty extraordinary.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Ryan. Take care, but don't play hero.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    They got off cheap on a 5th year option, if they had given him a 5 year deal instead they would have been on the hook for 5 years in dead money with signing bonus and guarantees..........

18. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    :this!:

19. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I think it would just be two years in dead money in that scenario?
    If they really wanted to be savvy and, they could sign him to an extension say five years at the vet minimum all guaranteed. He'd still get his money and we would get Relief this year.

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    If anyone thought that Ryan would play this year please come back to reality. I'm not saying that maybe, maybe someday he can make a comeback providing the medical professionals clear him. That's a long road ahead. And with an injury like that personally I wouldn't chance it. But its not my life. I wish the best for Ryan...

I mentioned in another thread that the 8.7 he is getting has been earned. If the Steelers brass wants to limit the 8.7 cap hit then they could extend him for 2 more years. If he can't play, an injury settlement could be reached. They kept Sean Spence when he had the devastating knee injury. This is Ryan's last season under contract due to be a UFA next season. Tough call to carry a player who may never play again. It's just the reality. Maybe the Steelers let him become a UFA and help him to recover to play again. It's a sad situation to say the least.

21. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

Knowing the history of his tackling technique and the type of injury incurred from it, I doubt any medical professional will ever clear him to play in the NFL ever again. Even if he shows tremendous improvement physically and shows the ability to change the way he tackles thru light drills there will always be that instinct in game situations to repeat his natural style and I don't think any doctor will buy off on him playing in the NFL again. We'll see how it pans out but unfortunately, I think we have all seen Ryans very last NFL play already.

• Agree Agree x 3
  22. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
  23. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah, I don't want to be watching a game if/when he gets paralysed for life.

He probably needs the motivation for rehab though and this gives him a goal. It also allows him to be around the team in an official capacity.

That said if he came out and said "I'm done!" I wouldn't be upset at all.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    It definitely sucks. We already had glaring defensive holes before Shazier's injury. I definitely think he needs to take care of himself and his family, but it's tough for us and a massive blow.

25. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    It's not a fact, it's an opinion. Several doctors familiar with that type of injury and the procedures he underwent stated it could be possible to play football again. Obviously medicine isn't an exact science. Shazier may never play again. Hell, he may never walk right again. The outcome varies from patient to patient, but it is possible to play again after the injury he sustained.

• Winner Winner x 1