1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Lamar Jackson Rumor

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by We need a change, Feb 23, 2018.

1. We need a change

We need a change Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    ESPN is floating a scenario that the Steelers could draft QB Lamar Jackson in the first. I am a Louisville player alum and I’ve seen him play several games. He is as athletic as any QB in the league and has extreme arm strength. His accuracy is a skill that needs professional coaching, but he is a player and I never seen him injured. They run a pro style offense in Louisville and he has displayed good football smarts. He played well on a very average team. He is a game changer in terms of a run threat and will require a “spy” be dedicated to him at all times. The thought is for him to sit and develope until Ben retires in two to three. It’s a tough decision given our defensive needs.

2. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    A floating rumor :lolol: Not going to happen.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    No QB this year, too many holes to fill on defense.......

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Mobile QB who can sit for 2-3 years to see how they develop...

Don't we already have one of those?

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Oh God no.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Of course were not going to carry 4 QBs on the roster, if we drafted every player we see in these mock drafts we would need 15 one picks.:facepalm:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  7. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Not happening. I didnt know lousiville ran a pro style offense? Looked like a spread when i watched but i will admit. I didnt watch them this year

8. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    There's no way in hell we're drafting him in Round 1 with our immediate needs

9. We need a change

Oct 9, 2017
    I think it depends on what is available and when. In other words, just because we need a Safety or ILB doesn’t mean we should make a second round pick a first. Sometimes they pick need, but sometimes you take the best player available. Keep in mind, and no disrespect to Jones, but we are one injury from a losing season at the QB position. We simply cannot win consistently with any of back ups. All the needs being filled will not help us in that situation and Ben isn’t getting any younger.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Clickbait!

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    We already tried Kordell Stewart. You can either throw accurately or you can't. How many "athletic QB's" work out?

JaMarcus Russell. Fail.
    Vince Young. Fail.
    Cardale Jones. Fail.
    Marcus Mariota. We'll see. Mixed so far.
    Blake Bortles. Fail.
    Teddy Bridgewater. Fail.
    EJ Manuel. Fail.
    Andrew Luck. Fail.
    RG3. Fail.
    Russell Wilson. Dope. Exception to the rule. But he always has been accurate.
    Cam Newton. Flashes good play, but will never win a ring.
    Jake Locker. Fail.
    Josh Freeman. Fail.
    Pat White. Fail.
    Jay Cutler. Fail.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. We need a change

Oct 9, 2017
    You forgot Wentz, Tarkington, McNair, Moon, and Vick. I get what you mean though, drafting a WR or Runningback to play QB never works out. They’ve worked this kid for two years to stay in the packet and play QB, which he has done. The reason he had to run so much is because the rest of the team was bad and he was forced to. In 2016, he was averaging over 300 yards passing per game. He is built like Goff with speed and a lot more strength. I’m not completely sold on him, we’ll see how the combine goes. He could just be another Terrell Pryor, or he could be a DeShawn Watson.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
  13. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    No thanks...

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    The Steelers WILL NOT draft Jackson. We have an offense in place.

Jackson needs an offense built around him.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I think a very reliable ex GM just came out this week and asked him to move to

the WR position. Bill Polian.

16. TOMSTEEL88

TOMSTEEL88 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOO

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    ................................................................ NO............................................................................

18. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Uh oh. Hadn't heard that. Get ready, Bill. Get ready.

19. We need a change

Oct 9, 2017
    Those are the some folks that said Prescott was not a professional QB and allowed him to fall to 4th round. The respected Bill Polian recommended Paxton Lynch (that worked). Turn off the pundits and watch the games. I would bet that almost no one actually watched him play this year or last. The puns are the same geniuses that said Pouncey was a bad first pick. Somebody said “we have an offense in place”. That offense is as thin at QB as any team ever has been. A good GM/ownership is looking 2-4 years out in order to consistently field a good product. If you are drafting to field an urgent need, then you did not prepare. The urgent needs can be filled via free agency, not trying to force a kid into the fire day one. Some can do it, but most cannot. Jackson may not be the guy, but you can’t dismiss players simply because of stereotypes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I think that would be a mistake. I think some people were saying that about DeShaun Watson last year.

Now Watson is a much better Passer from the pocket than Jackson is.

The team that takes Jackson has to be prepared to let him have the ball in his hands each play. They will also have to build the offense around him.

I think Jackson can be the ultimate playmaker even in the NFL. He can' be a part of a complicated offense. 1 read maybe 2, if it' not there improvise or take off. Read-option will have to be a big part of the game plan.

I think he will be a feared weapon to scheme a defense around.

He is the best dual threat QB since Michael Vick. And I actually think he can be better than Vick if he goes to the right opportunity.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
  21. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Steelers have way to many needs and are on the brink of a great chance at getting to a Super Bowl to take a chance in the 1st round. Wouldn't surprise me to see a 4 or 5th round choice if a high talent drops. But, who know they might want to see if Dobbs can develop too as well.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  22. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    Unless you’re in “win now” mode during the final year(s) of a Hall of Fame quarterback’s career.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011

I have watched Lamar, he is an exceptional and exciting football player. I was just stating an opinion from another source,

One that I trust to judge talent.

24. We need a change

Oct 9, 2017
    And he could be correct, who knows if the kid will work out or make the jump to the pros. I just hate to see folks stereotype players because there are Prescotts, Watsons and Newtons out there. But there are flops out there also.

25. We need a change

Oct 9, 2017
    Denver was a win now team and look at them now. I agree coaches should think that way, but GM/owners have to think strategically about the long term operation of the business. If you win it all next year, then have a losing season the next, you will get crucified, especially in the burg. If we were to win the SB next year, there is a possibility Ben may go out that way. Then what do you do? You passed on a possible replacement and now you are the Broncos.