1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

What has Butler ever done to impress?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Watt Wack, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    I don't see it. From where I sit all he has ever done was be LeBeau's long time student, but that doesn't mean he has his chops. As a matter of fact, players don't seem to revere him - at least not anywhere the way they did Dick. Just because you hang out and wait forever for the DC gig does not mean you will be good at it.

He is "just a guy" and between him and our head coach, we are dealing with a serious deficiency.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Took over an aging infrastructure of a once proud defense and his risen them back into the top 10 since 2015. Outside of his playoff blunders he has been very good in getting the defense back on track.

What he needs to do though is to make the playcalling simple and KISS throughout the season; just the beginning of his self improvement.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I am not a Keith Butler fan. I didn't like when he was hired. I don't care for him now. I could handle a defense that just isn't very good. But what I can't handle is a defense that looks like a confused mess on multiple occasions. If your just getting beat, that's on you players. If guys can't get lined up right and don't know where they are supposed to be thats coaching.

With the hire of Tom Bradley, Coach Butler better step up his game. Seems like a Steeler thing to do to already have a replacement on the staff. I think that's why they brought Bradley in.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    I was all for getting rid of LeBeau when they did (if not 2 years earlier) but not the cowardly way they did it ("Oh, Dick, you're retiring, right? Well enjoy your retirement."). DL was just too old, even for the ageless wonder he was. Word was he planned on keeping Troy on his starting unit, which was unthinkable. TP was a shell of his former self, as was much of that last DL D unit. It definitely needed re-booted.

I will give KB some credit for the re-build, but as mentioned above, having the players so confused and out of position is not acceptable. And let's not kid ourselves: There are an awful lot of high draft picks invested on that unit. Heyward (1), TJ (1), Tuitt (2), Burns (1), Davis (2), Bud (1), Hargraves (3), Shazier (1) plus some fairly high free agents (Haden, Mitchell) and that SHOULD add up to a very solid unit, but at times, it was just horse sh-t. There were other times that - in the 2nd half - the D played lights out, but that was often again below average QBs. But, per usual, some below average QBs looked like Dan Marino, circa 1984.

The thing I don't like about KB is his milktoast demeanor. No players seem inspired when they are near him. They definitely don't live and die for him like they did DL. I'm not saying all good DC will have that trait, but I just don't see much anything there. When I do see him speaking to players, they usually have the body language of "get away from me," as opposed to DL, where many have expressed a deep love for the guy. KB is just kind of there.

5. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    He can surely wear that straw hat during camp like no other.....

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  6. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I've really soured on Butler but I'm okay if the Steelers retain him for an additional season. The big plays, the inability to get off the field on 3rd down, making mediocre quarterbacks look like All-Pros, it's all unacceptable. He doesn't seem like the brightest bulb in the chandelier either. I think he's better suited as a position coach and not a coordinator. That's fine, some coaches just are. Just because you're a good position coach doesn't mean you'll be a good coordinator and just because you're a good coordinator doesn't make you a good head coach. I hope Rooney has put the entire coaching staff on notice that the 2018 season is critical and that we've got to see marked improvement in player development and game planning.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    He's gotten a bunch of internet "coaches" to question his every move, so he's got THAT going for him!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  8. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    Jags drop 45 on you, in your house, in the playoffs, you're damn right he has peeps on the Internet questioning him (as well on talk radio, at bars, on TV).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    :lolol:

10. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Weel see awe shucks...

My concern with Butler is Tomlin taking over the play calling. Why? Sure didn't help any.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    True but, in the end, it doesn't matter if he impresses the fans. Only if he impresses his boss! BTW, the Eagles dropped 43 on the Pats.

12. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    Bortles is terrible. What did they drop on the Bills at home? 10 points? But they come into Heinz and drop 45. Good thing Tomlin got more involved.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    Yes and no; if the fans are totally turned off and stop watching and/or showing up, well, then, yes, the opinions of the fans DO start to matter. I remember in 1999 when they really sucked, and radio shows were offering free tickets to games, and NO ONE would even call in for them. It was crickets.

14. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Yeah....sorry I must of missed the part where he did such a great job that we can't find any room for questioning...

• Like Like x 1
  15. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    My patience is wearing thin, Not fond of his style. yes I understand you have to have
    players. But the confusion should cease the players don't communicate on defense, this is wrong.

16. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    There is no more static organization than this one. KB is simply an extension of DL. He, like Tomlin, is basically safe forever, regardless of shortcomings, until a change is forced. Haley is only gone because our HOF QB didn't like him.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I'm not defending Butler, but I'm not even sure DL was revered like DL when he first started coaching the defense. You don't get that kind of respect after a season or two or three. What DL earned was, well, earned! Besides how many of us were alive when DL began coaching defense? (that was a joke just so people don't take it as a challenge to prove to me how old they are)

18. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I haven't seen a Steelers defense this bad since the mid to late 1980's. I guess we Steelers fans are spoiled. Steelers Ds of the 90's and 00's were phenomenal. We were bound to have a slump sooner or later. Losing Shazier set us back.... big time.... and will hurt this team for years to come.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Our defense needs to keep it simple.

1. Learn to tackle
    2. Stop the run
    3. Prevent big plays
    4. Tighten up in red zone.

1 will help 2 and 4 lol

20. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    We are spoiled.

13-3 being a disappointment is a spoiled fan lol.

I’m spoiled but thankful

• Like Like x 1
  21. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    We have the 3rd or 4th youngest defense in the league. Mitchell is the oldest starter or i bet we would be 1st or 2nd. Backups are young too. He has 1 year imo. The playoff loss took away alot of the rope he had. The year as a whole wasnt bad but they are young

22. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Butler has improved the pass rush since he took over, he needs to get better at in game adjustments though.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  23. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    Why would he bother? The head coach never even attempts to make adjustments; he just stares off rocking his crucifix just _hoping_ things will work themselves out.

24. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    You're full of crap as usual :shrug:.

• Agree Agree x 2
  25. SuperSteelers

SuperSteelers Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2018
    I'm not okay with it cause that just means to expect more mediocre play from the defense next season.