1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlin didn't micromanage the defense

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Feb 13, 2018.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
  2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Well, now we know what truly happened then. Glad we got that cleared up.

Criticism shifts back to Butler but blame can be placed on all levels of the team for the loss against Jacksonville.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    How is that different then what Ed reported? He said Tomlin was calling plays and took over meetings. He never said to what degree.

Fact is, Tomlin had his fingers on the meetings and play calling and the article confirms it. Its clear Tomlin was more involved than in the past.

Hard to fire people when you had a hand in things going south.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Fans were looking to pile on after a playoff loss to make it seem like the reason they loss because of Tomlin totally took over the defense, bottomline it doesn't matter who called the defense they stink. The majority of the blame goes on the players who didn't perform, players play and coaches coach.

• Disagree Disagree x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Sounds like to me with 3 years left on the contract and all the uproar, somebody had to be the scapegoat. This statement may not be "micromanaging" but Tomlins hands were all over the D:

Tomlin “was active in defensive meetings and from a planning standpoint”, but that “he didn’t micromanage the jobs” of the defensive coaches.

This defense does not stink yeah we need a few players ILB and S but it is not far off, What freakin stinks in the play calling/scheme. Go back and watch the first few drives and look where of CB's are playing 5-8 yards off and we gave Bortles easy dump offs. Was that the only think the D did wrong hell no there was a crap ton of missed tackles, Dupree and Davis didn't have very good games. Tomlin put his hands on this D and it got worse as the year went on. So will say it was the loss of Shazier. Well I will say this coaches over come that, as a matter of fact I think a team just won the SB without their starting QB who was in the running for MVP. I am not giving Tomlin a pass on this and I am not gonna sit here and act like we have a top 5 D either.

6. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Well they don't smell like roses either. The defense regressed as the season wore on. So Tomlin getting more involved didn't change that. Oh that's right, if he actually did ;) Then what does that say about Butler? I broke down in another thread how many high draft picks this defense has. Can't be a miss on all of them. So coaching is key here. Whoever, whatever there best be some simplification and more of an urgency in the defensive department.

But how's about all them there sacks? :lolol: Look at the real numbers, ypc and yac. Fail.

7. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    You quote that quite a lot, sr6, but let me ask you a question. Do the coaches coaching have any impact at all on the players playing? If not, why bother having coaches? Hood ornaments? With all due respect, I personally think it's a ridiculous assertion to say that the coaches have little to nothing to do with how the players perform on the field.

• Agree Agree x 6
  8. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    This is just my opinion so take it for what it is worth but our defense isn't nearly as bad as some would make it out to be. Our problem stems from our safety positions. We have serviceable to good defensive players, but no matter how well the rest of the defense played or the coaches coached, we were not going to overcome the safety performance. We had a couple of players that were able to mask some of the safety weakness (Shazier being one of them), but it was just too big a weakness to completely hide.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I did say it WASN'T a top 5 D, I also said it wasn't as bad as people make it out to be. Yeah we gave up 45 to the Jagoffs but like I said imo it had a lot to do with the scheme we ran as it did with the players not making plays. A new safety and ILB will be a big help fixing this D but if they don't fix the scheme it don't matter who is out there.......

10. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    I know I was agreeing with you. And also being a bit sarcastic. And I feel special now with that red font! My favorite color!

• Like Like x 3
  11. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Yeah well Belichick is the GOAT, his defense got smoked in the SB. Did his defensive genius mind make a difference? Hell no, it's more about talent. Fans just looking to place blame, they failed as a football team for sure vs Jacksonville it's more on the players.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  12. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    How do you know went on, you aren't at practice or meetings. They were playing 11 on 9 on defense, Mitchell and Spence are useless.

13. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    I’m over last year but damn they bettter be a straight up man to man defense next year. I know losing Haden set that back this year but that’s no excuse next year.

• Like Like x 1
  14. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    What do you mean how do I know? It is quoted right there I didn't say that, it was in the article that this thread is about. As for Spence and Mitchell couldn't agree more.......but then again who made that decision...........TOMLIN!

15. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Yep, fans always look to place blame and it is about talent. The Steelers have one of the most talented offensive rosters of the last decade and they have six 1st rounders and three 2nd rounders starting on defense. They have the talent. Of course the players are somewhat to blame, but I put most of the blame on the coaches. I'm a fan that blames the coaching when the talent is there and they're not getting it done. You seem to want to give the coaches a pass no matter what. Am I wrong?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    That would be a very bad idea.

The D was at its best when it was mixing things up. That’s what Butler has been aiming for. Maybe that’s the complicated part that leads to communication breakdowns, but the aim was to be more dynamic, and I hope they keep gunning for that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    No team plays man to man that much. I forget the actual percentage that teams actually play man to man but I know its a lot lower than fans think.

18. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    and it could be why they didn't. Question is.....who gets the blame next year if things don't look up? If Tomlin doesn't trust Butler enough to do his job,he should of been fired. Heck I would of fired Porter,demoted Butler back to LB coach and brought in a new defensive mind......

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Players play and coaches coach but.......coaches are supposed to coach players and put them in the best possible position to succeed......and I'm pretty sure we're not seeing that....

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Well it is Valentines Day......

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  21. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    We dont have enough information but it sounds to me like Tomlin got involved during the season and not the start of the season. Considering the defense played very well the first 5 games, it seems to me that Tomlins tinkering may have not had the desired affect.

• Agree Agree x 4
  22. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Maybe Tomlin thought he had a plan that would work in the absence of Shazier.....something Butler wasn't familiar with implementing,so Tomlin took on a bigger role....speculation for sure but sounds plausible....
    end result......fail.

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Maybe you didn't read when I said they failed as a team, that means coaching too. Ultimately it's on the players, whatever happened to beating the guy in front of you go out and make a freaking play :shrug:.

24. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    As for Mitchell they really didn't have a option, Golden is terrible. Spence shouldn't of been starting that's for sure, I prefer Fort to get more snaps.

25. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I agree with no option on Mitchell but we are just fans and we can see it. Why didn't the "experts" see that Mitchell was stinking up the joint? I mean they could have tried something different, swap Davis and Mitchell, blitz Mitchell more and drop Hilton into coverage, I am not saying these are answers but they didn't even try, they just kept Mitchell back there to offer no help.....jmo.

Spence shouldn't have even been signed, but that is a whole other conversation, but that goes right back to coaching and the next man up thing! You can say next man up but really are you ready for that, we weren't we went right to the couch for our next mean up. :facepalm: