1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Don't blame these guys

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Watt Wack, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    The season ended badly. It left a bad taste in our mouths, without question. But some guys have no reason to hold their head down.

- Heyward - What more do you want from the guy? Not only did he produce on the field, but he is the legit leader of the D. I don't know what more you can ask of a 3-4 DE. Imagine that D without him.

- Ben - If he wasn't handcuffed to the village idiot (Haley) half the time, imagine what he would have done. How many games did Ben just turn it loose the last minute (or 20 seconds) to just steal games at the end. It was insane. When we are 80 years old, we will still be talking about how great Ben was.

- AB - Did it all year (until he was hurt). He is the single best WR in the game. No question about it.

- Ju Ju - What more can you ask from a 2nd round rookie? Big time.

- Bell - he wasn't other worldly, but he was solid all year.

- TJ - He fizzled down the stretch, but he was very solid for a rookie. No complaints.

• Agree Agree x 5
  2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    I do not blame any of them at all. I blame the Jaguars loss on the entire team as that was a complete team loss.

Plain and simple; an old fashioned butt kicking was dealt to us.

• Agree Agree x 8
  3. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Both times.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    You forgot Boswell.

• Agree Agree x 5
  5. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    has someone blamed them?

6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Ben and Heyward took some fire for sure.

7. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Some have, some have not.

Be that as it may for those people, way too many variables to adjudicate blame towards a singular or collective group of individuals.

8. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    That falls on the head coach IMO

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Players play man. Players play. Especially at the nfl level

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    Fair enough

Agree to disagree. :drinks:

11. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    He's about the only one I don't toss a little bit of blame at. Shazier would be the other.

All in all there is plenty of blame to go around.

This team had too much talent and experience on offense to not win the Superbowl. So much so that they should have carried our deficiencies on defense.

A lot of those players you mentioned really caused some unnecessary distractions.

Ben, while great at times butted heads with the OC even though he is an idiot and then harped on retirement all season.

AB - Yep. Best WR in the league hands down. A little less drama would be nice though.

JuJu - He's a star in the making. Hope he stays grounded. Him flipping off the Brady fan with the Brady jersey tells me he still has some growing up to do. I'd like to see him take the high road and be more humble.

Bell - We get it. You want paid. Did you really have to take the media bait right before the Playoffs?

Heyward and TJ both came up short big time at the most crucial time although they were not distracting in the least.

If the coaches can reel some of these guys in and the defense comes back around then we should be solid SB contenders once again going into the 2018 season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Get use to it cause this is the world we live in now. The social media world where pretty much everyone takes to it and has to put something out there. I am not agreeing with it but it is only gonna get worse. jmo

13. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Of your list the only one who is blameless is AB. Heyward and Watt were part of a miserable defensive effort. Ben did turn it over twice. Bell missed a walk through and gave the media a couple stupid sound bites before the game, and Juju did drop a pretty important pass.

Everyone deserves at least a little blame for the loss.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    That 3 point loss wasn’t indicative of how bad we lost. We were never winning that game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Including the coaches and whoever was in charge of the defensive games plan. Sorry can't play a qb who is not known to be a good deep thrower with your DB's 5-10 off the los. To start the game off like that gave Bortles the confidence he needed, jmo. Yeah players have to make the plays but when the coaches put them in position not to that has to be pointed out as well.........

16. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Heyward had a great regular season... playoff game vs. Jaguars, not so much.

17. brosonke

brosonke Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2018
    Couldn't agree more, look forward to seeing what Ben will do this year. Hopefully, they let him loose.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    OH, I agree. Trust me the failures of the coaching staff kept me up a few nights.LOL. I put the majority of the blame on coaching. I'm just saying there is a lot of other blame to go around. Even the great Boz deserves at least some blame. I think I might have been able to kick a better onside kick than that.

• Like Like x 1
  19. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Yes for sure there is a lot of blame to be passed around but for me coaching is my biggest. I am hoping this rocky offseason help open some eyes and we come out next year with a purpose.

20. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Tomlin's teams not being prepared is not a 2017 issue. It's been a decade long issue. Losing in the playoffs when you are suppose to win happens. But the fact that your coaching staff has shown constantly that they can not adjust to players like Tim Tebow and Blake Bortles and lose to Mike Glennon's of the world over that 10 year span is an embarrassment. Losing two games at HOME to Blake Bortles is embarrassing. And it's been a problem for a while.

• Agree Agree x 3
  21. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Big time players make big time plays when the spotlight gets hottest. No one, I mean NO ONE made a significant play on the defensive side of the ball in the Jax game. I'm sorry, the leader of this defense should have found a way to take over in certain situations. Nothing. And that goes for the other 10 as well. It was a pathetic display.

Now the Offense is a different story. Ben put them behind the 8 ball but almost bailed us out. Some spectacular plays from the offense for sure. Although we lost it could have been a blood bath. I feel the Offense will pick up right where they left off and I feel they will get better.

I do feel with the right changes, which should be to simplify this defense first and bringing in new blood as position coaches, (still waiting for one to be shown the door) and upgrading a few key positions hopefully the defense can get back on track. Ratings are sometimes a smokescreen when you look at the real numbers that killed this defense. Looking forward to the change.