1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Decastro and tuitt restructure contracts

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by blake duerden, Feb 10, 2018.

1. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    Thanks Thought it was the other way. But I had a good idea LOL

• Like Like x 1
  2. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    The thing is we don't have to not sign Bell to have enough money to fix the D. We need to address 2 spots on the D S and ILB. Our other starters are set Tuitt, Heyward, Hergrave, VW, Watt, Dupree, Davis, Haden & Burns. We are not looking at a whole bunch of money to fix this. People are acting like we need to sign 5-6 guys...we don't we just need to get rid of one MITCHELL. Like I just posted in another thread just cutting Mitchell, Golden and Wilcox will free up 9.6 mil. That could land us Boston and a cheap back up maybe Byrd. Also we can draft a S in this years draft as we can never have enough.

The same thing about ILB, not sure what Zach Brown or Bowman will cost but I would look at them and add a draft pick. It isn't going to be hard but we have to star with cutting the dead weight. Mitchell, Gay, Golden, Wilcox, Sensabaugh and maybe look at a guy like Foster and say can our back up play well enough to let him go cause they did play well when in there. There are options Vance is another one I am sure many have read my post about him in the other threads. My point is there are players who can be gone and replaced with cheaper FA or guys on out roster. The whoile don't sign Bell cause we need the money is not true cause we could have the money and have Bell. jmo

3. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I'll admit I'm not a cap or restructuring expert by any stretch, but won't restructuring actually decrease their base salary next season because they've been compensated in the form of an up front bonus? How would that make them more attractive for cutting? They've already been paid and their base salary is lower.

EDIT: See below. NY Steeler helped clear it up for me. Man, all you guys are awesome. I am constantly learning from my message board colleagues.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  4. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Thanks! This helps to answer my previous question to thorn.

• Like Like x 1
  5. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Yeah Jack once you start restructuring it kicks the can down the road. Immediate cap relief but it almost forces you to do it again and again raising the base pay each following year. In Timmons case it ended up being paying a aging ILB over 11 million on the final year of his deal as base pay, chosing to extend him and lower that amount or cutting him. Thankfully they had cap space and let him play it out at that number but others they cut (forced retired)

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    No problem I am nothing special just use a few websites they do all the work lol! :thumbs_up:

• Like Like x 1
  7. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I agree however now is the perfect time to do it as Ben is at the end and his replacement will probably be a rookie or on a rookie contract so that will help.

8. blake duerden

blake duerden Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2017
    This is great stuff guys and defs more understandable. Its risky business but right now the team has a real shot and why not go for it with ben and in acouple years start investing in the new qb.
    Go steelers.

9. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    Very noble for them to take more $ from us now instead of waiting to get it. I'm also committed to my employer. So much I've also offered to take my next 3 years of salary now. Maybe we can hire some help in our QA dept. then.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  10. blake duerden

blake duerden Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2017
    Lets all do it while we're at it haha
    Does it just mean the organization is willing to pay more aside from the cap?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  11. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    We will be in cap hell down the road, like we were before.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Who cares? Once Ben Retires this team is going to suck, might as well go for it right now. They have a 2-3 year window to win a SB.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
  14. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
  15. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I think the writer is nuts if he thinks DHB or Vance will get cut. Far as I know, DHB is still a great gunner and you already know my feelings on Vance :smiley1:

16. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Yeah I agree no way DHB goes he has earned his spot.........hey something we agree on! :dancing::dancing::dancing:

• Like Like x 1
  17. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/02/report-steelers-want-keep-cb-joe-haden-lower-price/

haden^^

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/0...aches-front-office-learning-aspects-football/

shazier will count no matter what this year.^^ his is over 8 mil. for the year.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/02/2018-offseason-questions-mcdonald-worth-contract/

mcdonald^^

probably the 3 biggest hits to the cap not named bell. his of course is around 14.5 mil. for the tag.

thats almost 23 million for shazier and bell alone and we have to replace shazier with a player. :cool:

18. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
  19. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    gonna be some tough decisions made i believe. :cool: