1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Decastro and tuitt restructure contracts

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by blake duerden, Feb 10, 2018.

1. blake duerden

blake duerden Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2017
    Steelers rework their contracts to base salaries into bonuses and save 13 mil in cap space !! That is some committed dudes right there.

Source: Steelers rework DeCastro, Tuitt deals http://es.pn/2CaBB21
    via @ESPN App http://es.pn/app

• Like Like x 3
  2. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
  3. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Hate restructuring but it's what's needed to get cap space just hope they realize that the bigger that base gets the following year the more attractive they look for cutting.

4. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    They're just trying to make Bell feel guilty. (hopefully it works) :rolleyes:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  5. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I’m kinda hoping we let him test the market and nobody offers his price lol.

He’s great but he’s not pre 2016 good

• Agree Agree x 5
  6. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I don't think that is much of a risk for DeCastro. They aren't cutting one of the best guards in the league.

It could be a concern for Tuitt given how he turned invisible much of this past season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

That bicep injury and his injury history does not help him either.

He needs to stay healthy. Otherwise, the defensive lineman spot could become an issue sooner rather than later.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    All depends on how many times they do it. Happened to Troy, Timmons, Heath, I think Kiesel as well. You get these guys making a base pay that is 3x what they are worth at their age and skill level that could maybe play at a high level for 3 more years and the teams can't keep them because of it. Just not my favorite cap space tool

9. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    good news. more cap space should be on its way soon too. :cool:

10. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Love it cleared up 13 more mil where we at now anyone know? Man the front office has been busy must be they want to get the Bell deal done before the 20th?????

11. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Team needs to invest in team needs not bells desires.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Tuitt needs to restructure his game this season as well...

13. dobbler-33

Nov 13, 2011
    Being healthy will go a long ways towards that... Hoping he's not woodley 2.0 after signing that contract myself.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Yeah cause Bell was good for us right??? We know what this team can do with Bell do we know what it can without him and are you will to take a step back with only a few years left of Ben.....I'm not. Judging by the what the team is doing I think they don't want to lose him either and for the record we can have both. We can afford Bell and fix the D, just getting rid of Mitchell is an improvement without even replacing him.........

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. dobbler-33

Nov 13, 2011
    I know you're all in bro... I'm not, it's all good. If bell can be kept without handcuffing the books then fine... I don't see that happening, nor do I see him improving upon what he's done, which hasn't exactly been enough. We thought without Bell that they could've went further if he was available. Well that happened... He was here and another 1 and done. Nobody's blaming him, we're all blaming the other side of the ball as well as coaching staff. What we've all seen, is the team do pretty good without him at times and with or without him in play, produce similar results. That cannot be argued.

I'm not gonna get into the he didn't show for walk thru or was late or whatever or bumping his gums about part 2's or his getting paid BS... Or the fact that he spent SB week questioning if his team mates were ready for the challenge of Jacksonville.

Bottom line, he's great and I get it. He's also questionable in a couple areas that most of us don't care for.

He wants the type of money that this team can't really handle in all honesty. He's also got a Shiit ton of wear and tear now thanks to them driving him into the dirt, so a lengthy big ass contract probably ain't the best thing to toss at him.

I really don't think there would be an ounce of tears shed in that locker room if he's gone. Hell we might get another dose team mates jumping on his idiocy like we saw after the Harrison debacle.

Just my opinion but I believe they'd be fine without him... We've all seen what they can do without him. No need to break the bank for similar/declining results out of one guy.

And as far as Mitchell goes, I hope they can his ass and might be just about as surprised if they do vs if they do not. Meaning basically, I doubt that they will.

16. blake duerden

blake duerden Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2017
    I like the direction things are going. I support bell and his future with the team. Sure he has some wear and tear, obviously discussed between them. Bell takes less from what i see with his patient approach and style compared to the hard hitting down field runners . Just keep the ball rolling with some attention to the D and we in business.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. dj внιndι

dj внιndι Member

Dec 19, 2017
    Or like Jason gildon lol . Can't forget how he was a non factor after his contract.

18. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I respect your opinion, I don't agree but I respect it. Yes this team was ok without Bell when Dwill filled in but that was it ok not great. They had to run a much different offense when Bell wasn't in there. Would this team survive without Bell sure they would but why find out with such a small window? I get all the off field stuff bothers people but we are in such a different time right now, it is not like the old days.

As far as the wear and tear on him I get it but he is still only 25, he has plenty of life left in him. Not to mention a lot of the wear on him is coming in the passing game which imo isn't as bad. I think as far as money goes we will be fine, not great but fine. I feel we can sign Bell and still add a FA or two. jmo :smiley1:

19. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I think re-signing Bell is top priority in investing in team needs... we get significantly worse with Bell gone.

The biggest blow is Shazier unfortunately. We are absolutely dead at the position without him. Williams is an quality role player, but we don’t have another guy who is remotely capable to start beside him. Until we find that guy (and it looks pretty thin at ILB in FA) we better make sure we put up points, because we are gonna have a hard time stopping the run without current ILB group.

20. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Great news :) hope that 4yr/55mil contract for Bell is coming

21. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    If Bell is signed... I hope it's only for 3 years max. IMO, Steelers should draft a RB in the 2nd round anyway....whether Bell signs or not.

22. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

I agree I am thinking 3-4 years and I was pounding the table last year for guys like Hunt and McGuire. These guys have the same skill set and last years draft class had a bunch(Kamara) that would have been a nice fit and put us in a different position today. I just feel there isn't much in the FA market to replace Bell with and I am not ready for Conner or a rookie this year to take over as we are so close. I really like Penny in this years draft.....

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    If a running back is drafted in the 2nd round with all the defensive needs then Bell is no longer in Black & Gold...

I think your a bit light on those figures.

Look I feel Bell is a talent and losing him is scary. I'm not scared. Draft a running back in the first 3 rounds, and use the money saved on retooling the defense. This defense needs retooling. Or franchise him with the non and i'm sure some team will jump on it and hand us two 1st rounders.
    February 20th is right around the corner...

24. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    The way I see it, it helps them and the team right? Bonus paid now, you can put the money to work?? Bonds may be a good thing for a while. Am I wrong ASS U ME they get the money up front?

25. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    On February 8, 2018 Decastro converted $6.79 million of his 2018 base salary and offseason roster bonus into a signing bonus. The move created $5.092 million in cap space for the Steelers in 2018. Decastro's future salary cap numbers will each increase by $1.6975 million.

On February 8, 2018, Tuitt converted $10.21 million of his base salary and roster bonus into a signing bonus. The move created $8.168 million in cap space for the Steelers in 2018. His future cap numbers will increase by $2.042 million in each of the remaining four years of his contract.

As you can see this puts more money on the back end which imo is fine since Ben may be gone by then and so will his cap number. It is a double edge sword but at this point in time I think it is a very good thing as Ben is near the end.....

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1