1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Joey Porter???!!!

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by JackAttack 5958, Feb 9, 2018.

1. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    This is a crock of crap, guys. If Joey Porter is being kept around simply because he's Tomlin's pal, then they both need to be shown the door. I appreciate a certain amount of loyalty, but when there is an obvious liability on your coaching staff and everybody sees it besides you, and the reason you refuse to see it is because you've allowed your personal relationship to blind you to any objective evaluation, then you are putting your own career on the line. You may also be stunting the growth and development of some young players in which you've invested a lot of capital. Porter needs to go now.

That makes some sense, but what doesn’t make sense is why Joey Porter hasn’t “resigned” to pursue other avenues or been given another assignment. Mitchell’s unit was the best on the defense, and while it didn’t show up in the playoff loss to Jacksonville, it played a large role in a number of wins. Lake’s unit was a problem the past few seasons, but that was as much about a lack of talent as anything he was doing.

Porter’s unit, though, was the most disappointing on either side of the ball, given the talent he had to work with. He obviously mismanaged James Harrison, and Bud Dupree and T.J. Watt really didn’t progress this season. The position coach is responsible for his players’ development. Combine his lack of effectiveness as a coach with his controversies on and off the field, and it is a mystery as to why he still is on the staff. Actually, it isn’t that much of a mystery — he clearly has a friend in a high place. :facepalm:

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...ohn-mitchell-joey-porter/stories/201802090152

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    This Porter thing has you really worked up, Jack :lolol:

I dont think 2018 hinges on whether Porter is LB coach or not. I dont care where the sacks come from and they led the league in them. The secondary is a much bigger issue and need to simplify the defense, I think these guys are still being asked too do to much, too much thinking going on out there.

3. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Watts will be fine, because he will go home and train with J.J but the other potentials .... I don't see Porter developing them to the next level. We used to be known as linebacker University, but now, linebacker elementary.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    Peezy got shot in the ass when he was a player. Not a coach

5. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Didn't say it was as a coach I am pointing out his past his history his bad examples he set.......

6. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I'll take fire and passion any day.

Porter didn't seem to have it this year. Maybe has toned it down after Cincy incident and mishap at the bar.

Harrison had it. He's gone.

Shazier had it. It was taken from him.

Who has the fire and passion to lead that defense?

Cam is a GREAT player but he is not an emotional leader. He leads more by example, which is important.

Bud? Nope.

TJ? Probably still too young to have that kind of respect.

We're in the same spot as last year. We have the offensive pieces. We need that defense to rise up WHEN IT COUNTS.

7. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Not necessarily. Did anyone think that Lake was going? Mitchell was reassigned? This happened overnight. Bam! Just like that.

Agreed. With the possibility of a NEW OLB being drafted he has failed in coaching up what we have. Porter bragged about Jarvis Jones getting double digit sacks his last season here. We all know what happened. It's more then mouth service, you have to coach. Joey's got mouth but little coaching substance.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    Wasn't that a drive by? Guess Peezy got an inviting ass aka target LOL

• Like Like x 1
  9. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Yeah I think so but you know what the old saying is nothing good happens after 10pm.......:shrug:

10. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Peezy was a helluva player, not so sure he is that good of (TEACHER) coach. Our OLB's
    are not where they should be. Need someone to teach pass rush moves.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Holy Cow. You're blowing this Porter thing way out of proportion?

12. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Kinda funny how some here are saying that Watt tailed off towards the end of the season and want to blame that on Porter. Yet some here point out how the OLB position has changed and we are dropping them back into coverage more towards the end of the year. Just an observation, my opinion is the injury to Ryan had an impact on what the Steelers did with Watt. Which imo lead to more coverage and less rush, jmo.:smiley1:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I know. Watt had one of the best rookie seasons for a Steelers LB but he "tailed" off at the end of the season.

Steelers fans are funny. Tough crowd.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    I think former players who had great technique, not natural skill, could be the ones who would bring the most value as a coach.

For example: Hines Ward was not fast, but got open. He has potential to be able to teach something useful.

15. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    TBH ... My feeling is Rooneys hired Peezy because he was broke. I dont feel like Tomlin would have hired him.

16. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
  17. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Trust me NY STEELEERFAN, I have stated such throughout the season. Do not expect people to simply believe that.

Porter is not as big an issue for me as Butler's inability to KISS and construct a defense to maximize their talents.

Now, as I see it, Porter will be on notice next season. Should much of the same occur from Dupree and not see an improvement from Watt, then I will understand.

• Like Like x 1
  18. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    I'm not in that camp. I don't think Porter can take credit or blame for Watt this year.
    At the moment, I think the credit for Watt can be split between practicing with his brother, college, and natural talent.
    If Watt continues improving next year, then Porter can claim the accolades (or the tar-and-feathers if there is regression).

19. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    most rookies hit the wall at some point. they have never played that long of a season. that wasn't really unexpected. it should get better year two. :cool:

20. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

T.J. Watt is a self-disciplined player with a warrior's mentallity.

He will get better in year two.

• Like Like x 1
  21. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    My opinion has been for years that Tomlin is putting his touch on this and we have had the wrong coaches here to work it. DL and Butler are both 3-4 guys and it is no secret Tomlin isn't, I think this year it finally came public how Tomlin has put his input into this D. I am not taking a shot at any of these 3 coaches I just think Tomlin wants to run a D one way and ownership has not let him have a coach who can carry it out. Meaning DL was hired before Tomlin and Butler was promised the job and that is why he stuck around. jmo

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  22. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I am not sure just how much his brother has added to his growth, not gonna say it don't help but JJ has a lot on his plate as well and tutoring his brother who is on another team in not high on his list. :smiley1:

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  23. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    I didn't write the article, Glenn. I haven't written the several other articles that have implied that Tomlin and Porter have a fairly close relationship. That's fine if they want to hang out at high school football games and such, but there is much evidence (not just my ramblings) that indicates that Porter SUCKS as a coach. If Tomlin's relationship with Porter is clouding his judgement about him, then he needs to reevaluate that before it goes any further.

Geez, I love it when some if you guys resort to name calling or in your case here, marginalizing somebody's position simply because you disagree. It's fine that you don't agree, but why don't you give me your reasons behind it? Do you think Porter is a good coach? Do you think Tomlin's relationship with him could be hindering him somewhat from making an objective decision about him? Do you think there's a possibility that our young linebackers' development could be hindered because Porter is an inadequate position coach? Mark Madden called Porter a mascot. Paul Zeise says he has a friend in a high place who is protecting him in spite of his performance. Others have made similar comments. Yet I'm the one who's going overboard with this Joey Porter thing. :facepalm:

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  24. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    It does, Blast. I smell favoritism here and there's no room for that in the NFL. I just think we're investing way too much in these young and talented OLBs coming out of college to have them coached down by this idiot! He was a great player for us, but time for him to move on. IMHO.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    Agree with this Ward but don't know if Peezy is in that group. I will say it works the other way too.

At Parris Island I had to march a platoon of Drill Instructors to a Uniform inspection. (yes DI's are Inspected once a year) Halfway to the inspection point I yelled. (HIPPTY HOP MOB STOP!) I pointed toward the inspection point and said walk there. I figured out why. Every one of them was calling cadence in their own head. No one was listening to me. After the inspection the inspector turned them over to me and said dismissed. Instead of right face, forward march I waited till the inspector walked away. I said walk your azzes back and change, then go back to work. I went to the CDI. Chief Drill Instructor for the company and said Don't ever tell me to march a platoon of DI's again. He started laughing and told me exactly what I just found out, they were all on their own cadence

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1