1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

TE is going to be a key next season

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by francobettis, Feb 5, 2018.

1. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    I say let him find that big guarantee in the open market, where he isnt as valuable as he thinks he is, he only had 4 games this year where he rushed for 100 yards or more and he only averaged 7.7 yards per reception not exactly stunning, to meet his demands on that record seems silly to me.....

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Well that is your choice I can see both sides of the coin. I am just not ready to let him go and risk this offense not being the same. He can run he can catch and the important part of his game is he can pass block. If we were to draft his replacement say Rashaad Penny since he has similar skill set and he misses his block and Ben gets creamed and is out a number of games then what? That is stuff people don't consider with Bell. This is an experienced offense with Ben, Bell, AB, MB and now Juju, these guys got better as the year went on. Don't break these guys up cause they may have to carry the defense.

As for his stats well he touched the ball 406 times 4 yds per carry and 7.7 yds per rec is darn good for a RB considering where he catches the ball. That is a ton of production to replace and that is not to mention how he opens things up for the others on the team!

3. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    We have a great tight end. Jessie James. every time he starts looking good. The team goes away from him

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I like JJ however he has two knocks of him imo, first he is a pretty good blocker which takes away from him being a receiver. Second he don't have speed and that is what the Steelers are looking for now. Green and Vance both have good speed. The NFL is kinda going that route so as much as I like JJ we need another more WR type TE.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    There comes a time when a team cant make a star player happy, and he wont be reasonable during negotiations, and thats when they have to part company, like other top players were stubborn on negotiations and were let go, so we tag bell again and he will just be a distraction like he was last year.....

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    You don't know that as a matter of fact there are many reports of Bell wanting to stay here and even one report of him saying if the Steelers tag him he won't sit out. Of course there are always the fans that just don't care about that and want to look at the negative...................

7. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Jesse james cant block lol. Vance has the speed and blocking, James has hands..errr, height lol.

8. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    James is a very solid No. 2 tight end or he's among the worst starters in the league. He's not great in any way. He has a very limited route tree and he's an average blocker at best.

McDonald is a much better player. He is a strong blocker and athletic enough to do more as a receiver. Maybe they will ask him to renegotiate his contract, but I don't see him being cut.

9. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    McDonald is also a china doll in my book

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Steelers are OK at TE. Defense sucks and needs attention. Obviously.

Unless Gronkowski wants to play for the Steelers.... we shouldn't worry too much about TE. No TE we get in draft or free agency would be much better than what we have now.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  11. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    Maybe true, but we need far more help on D; in case everyone forgot, we scored 42 and lost to the Jags. I'd raft ILB, NT and S all before I'd take a TE.

12. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I did not forget but thanks for reminding me we scored 42. So let me get this right you would rather keep Vance and his 14 receptions for 188yds and 1 td and his 22.2 mil salary over the next 4 years(4.3, 5.1, 6.4, 6.4) than to use that money on one of the spot you just mentioned? Sorry I would rather "raft" a TE and use that money on a ILB or S. Heck I am all for bringing Vance back and "raft" a ILB or S instead of a TE but at a much better price. Health and Hands are not on Vance's side and we are not in a spot where we can throw 4-6 mil at a TE we can't count on....jmo!

13. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I think you are a little harsh on Vance. We saw what he can do down the stretch. Id rather keep him and let Khan worry about making the money work.

They'll either keep him at his current salary or rework his deal but they wont cut him lose. Not happening after surrendering a 4th for him.

14. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Blast every guy I say something about you think I am being harsh but I am not. The fact is this a business and it has to be treated like a business. There is no way in hell do I want our team to keep a guy who has trouble staying healthy and has questionable hands all while eating up 20 mil over the next 4 years. It is not like he is our main weapon, heck he could be our 4th 5th or 6th weapon. I don't care if we cut him or tear his contract up and start over and re sign him I am all for that but no way in hell do I want to keep Vance at his current salary when this team is in cap hell. Which by the way we are 4.1 mil over the cap so if Khan wants to keep him at his current salary he will have his work cut out for him.

Don't get me wrong I love what Vance brings to the table and I was one of the guys sticking up for him on here when we traded for him, all while others were calling him meat or stone hands. To me this time of the year it is a money game and with us being loaded on this side of the ball it makes no sense to over pay at this position. As far as the 4th round pick goes that is nothing, heck we draft 3rd rounders and don't keep him, or draft a LS and don't keep him. jmo :smiley1:

15. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Thats because you are :lolol:

Attacking a guys stats when you know he missed time is harsh and doesnt paint an accurate picture. Its obvious what kind of weapon he can be from his play down the stretch. his numbers dont reflect that.

I dont care what they are paying him, surrendering a 4th rd pick for 1 year rental is foolish and they wont do it, they wont cut him.

Again, I dont worry about the numbers as much as you, Khan is much better at it then you and I. Im sure that wont stop you from fretting over it though :worried: :biggrin:

16. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I am pointing out his stats not attacking them, the guy has never had more than 30 rec a year. You can talk potential all you want if potential was what you got results from than we would have a hell of a lot more than 6 rings. At some point you have to remove yourself from being in love with a players to looking at risk vs reward. In this case it is a high risk with also a chance at a high reward, however the Steelers will not be able to improve this team with contacts like these. In the end I really feel that this contract is going to get ripped up and a new contract will be had.

17. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    That's exactly how I feel about Bell... High risk and Weve already seen the high reward and have ran him into the ground. All his personal BS aside and his dummy gum bumping recently, I really believe he's a great player who's contributions (stats) are gonna start declining pretty fast fairly soon. Don't need to shore him up long term in my opinion. He wants too much damn money that could pay dividends in areas sorely lacking.

18. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    And that would be great. Im just saying no way he is getting released. Even if it means keeping him at his current salary.

I dont believe they would have ever traded for him otherwise. They were full aware of his salary and what it means to the cap.

19. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    TE doesn't fix the Defense. Key to next season is replacing Shazier.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I think they traded for him to be all in this year and knowing that if he didn't work out they had an easy out. Your putting to much into that 4th round pick

21. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Really??? Wow. Ok. Just throwing away draft picks now, they dont mean anything lol.

Its not like its a 7th rd pick, geeze.

22. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

It wasn't just throwing it away like you make it sound they gambled for this past year and still have control of him. They wouldn't be able to talk contract with him if he was on another team. You act like a 4th is something special to the Steelers...Dobbs, Hawkins, Grant, BRYANT, Sharko & Landry....not that impressive. Also let's not forget some other picks they have made like a LS in the 6th or a couple midgets in the 2nd and 3rd. You are way over valuing that pick. jmo

23. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I dont care what their track record is, they are too valuable and for someone who prides himself on looking for talent in the later rounds, Im surprised youd devalue a pick.

I guarantee you they didnt trade for Vance thinking he was the piece that was going to put them over the top. They got him because they have been looking for a vertical threat. You make it sound like hes getting Bell money.

24. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Well of course you don't care what their track record is cause you are on the other side of the argument. I am not devaluing the pick, they traded for a guy who had many questions with nothing to lose. They used a 4th round pick it is not a 1st or 2nd a 4th come on it is not gold. You can't guarantee squat you are not in the office....are you :eek:? They were looking for a down field threat since they lost Green and they gambled on Vance knowing they could get out of this contract without any problem. Also let's not forget they also got a draft pick back so it isn't like losing anything for a 1 year rental if that was the case. The Steelers were not happy with what they saw in the preseason and made the move for this year:

"The guys hadn't been consistently varsity enough for our comfort," Tomlin said of his rotation through the first three weeks of preseason games. "It's as black and white as that. They've had some moments positively and had some moments negatively. We were in the market for a guy who was NFL capable. McDonald is that.

Also let me point out there wasn't any interest in Vance so the Steelers are in the drivers seat is they want to tear this contract up and start over or cut him and re sign him:

The Niners first began shopping McDonald during draft weekend, something coach Kyle Shanahan and general manager John Lynch acknowledged at the time. Unable to find a trade partner, the 49ers held on to McDonald, and he spent most of training camp working with the starting offense.

As for Bell money year your right but when a team is up against the cap like we are every dollar will count and 20+ mil is a crap ton for limited return. Yeah you can say we could get big return but when, in 4 years he hasn't shown it and in his one year here he had 14 receptions. We have a powerful offense we don't need to spend that kind of money on a what if guy.

I want Vance back but at about half of what he will cost, jmo

25. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    AB/ Le'vean are the keys and of course a healthy productive #7.
    Of course that is if LB is still an employee of the PGH Steelers. Our defense will
    also have to make major strides if we are to win a Superbowl.