1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Joey Porter???!!!

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by JackAttack 5958, Feb 9, 2018.

1. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I'm serious, guys, why is this idiot still the OLB of the Steelers? What does he bring to the table that the Steelers need so badly? He was a great player for the Steelers, I get that, but he's not a good coach. Jarvis Jones was probably destined to be a bust, but what did Porter do for him? Bud Dupree has shown very limited flashes and regressed big time this season. TJ Watt made some plays early based on pure athleticism and dogged determination but seemed to struggle the second half of the season.

Ask yourself this question. Is Joey Porter the coach you want teaching and developing our young outside linebackers?

2. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I thought the one thing Porter could bring when I first heard he was coming was some fire and passion. I wasn't sure he had much else to offer but was hoping that alone would transform our lb's. Well, he never accomplished the one thing he was good for, so, like you, I ask what IS he good for?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    I agree. I wonder what effect Harrison’s acting up in meetings has on how the young guys look at Porter now. He should have nipped that crap in the bud early on. Harrison was so disrespectful to the organization that gave him his chance to become a star.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    In all honesty, how would any of us know what type of coach Joey Porter is? It's all perception. If you are going to give him credit for the failures of Dupree and JJ, then I guess he must deserve some credit for Tj Watt too. I'm not saying hes a great coach. What I'm saying is how does anybody know he's not.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Do you want TJ Watt to learn the OLB trade from Joey Porter? If you do that's fine. I don't have any confidence in Porter to get Watt to the next level. Did you see Watt develop this year? I thought he regressed the last half of the season pretty badly. I didn't see too much technique out of him that indicates someone is trying to coach him up. He was simply relying on his tremendous athletic ability. That worked okay at Wisconsin, but if he's going to develop into a great OLB for us he needs so much more and I absolutely do not have any confidence in Joey Porter to be able to nurture Watt or Dupree by teaching them the sound fundamentals and technique required to get them to next level of success. And besides that, Porter is an idiot, he really is. Acting out at high school football games. Getting into a fight at local bar. Going onto the field in the Cincy game. THIS is the guy you want developing our athletes and teaching them how to be professionals???

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    No. I like the fact that their have been several coaching changes. Porter needs to be told to step aside ala Lake. The OLB's underwhelming performance stands out. Watt has much upside being a rookie but tailed off towards the end of the season. Dupree is starring at his last year here. Need some fresh faces and I believe another OLB or two will be drafted. Moats is an UFA and really it's no loss. Chickillo is a RFA. I want to see him retained for another year and possibly beyond.

Thin, thin, thin. And trusting Porter to coach these new faces up? Hasn't so far. A change needs to be made.

7. Bradydaphonedestroyer

Bradydaphonedestroyer Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2017
    Tomlin takes care of his HOMIES.

8. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I will say I was one who wanted the Steelers to sign Porter. I loved watching his as a player and I liked what he did in college with Shaq Barrett. I had read that Joey took him under his wing thru college and helped him. Shaq went on and became a good player as an undrafted FA and JMO I feel a lot of that was from what he learned from JP. With that said what Peezy has done since coming back here can't be overlooked, at least the off field stuff. Now as for Jarvis Jones come on you can shine up a turd but in the end it is still a turd....just like Jarvis!!!! I am not sure what JP have been teaching but I will say this he is a coach and not a player act like it cause it is not the Steeler way! I hope ownership has put JP on notice cause the ice has to be getting thin...jmo

9. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    That's right blame it on Harrison........not the coach who gets in bar fights or gets shot "outside a bar".....Haters hate I get it!!!!:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Hey guess what the stock market is dropping.........DAMN YOU HARRISON

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  10. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011

• Like Like x 2
  11. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Looking for the clip for my last post, I came across this again. We're not in the locker room so we will never know, but you can't help but wonder if this kind of leadership exists anymore? I doubt it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    My opinion is that Porter will be staying.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    I'm not saying Porter has no flaws. I don't think a thug mentality necessarily translates into a good coach. I don't like the antics either, but lets not forget Tomlin was also called out for being a jerk at those same high school games. So if your boss acts like an ass what do you expect from an assistant.

What I am saying is, the problems with this defense are more scheme than player development. Guys looked like they had no idea what they are doing at times. How many times did we see DBs looking at each other after a guy caught a pass wide open last year? I don't blame confusion and not knowing where to be on position coaches. I blame that on the DC. Position coaches are there to teach technique and develop players. It's hard to tell if players are developing or not because the entire defense seems out of sorts at times.

All these position coach changes won't amount to a hill of beans if we don't get better game planning and communication.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    This is exactly it. Porter is Tomlins boy, and he's not going anywhere.

15. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I agree otherwise I think he would have been gone by now. But I will say I think and I hope the message has been sent that ARII isn't gonna take all this off field stuff anymore!

16. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    You're crazy if you think I hate Harrison. I think your love for him as a player is seriously clouding your judgment.

I believe he acted like an ahole and me and others have called him out for it. I dont think it means we all hate him. Not me anyway but that doesnt mean I cant be pissed at him.

He admitted that he asked to be released after the first game, FIRST GAME! Its easy for me to believe the rest after that. He confirmed he fell asleep during meetings too by saying "who doesn't?". And Im supposed to believe that a person as spiteful as JH was actually helping the guys who was keeping him off the field. Come on man. Doesnt matter what he was promised, Tomlin is the coach and can play who he wants. Tomlin wouldnt release him so JH was doing what he could to get thrown off the team.

And round and round we go :lolol:

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

Lmao......we should just keep copy and pasting from the previous threads.

Seriously all BS aside I am not even that great of a JH fan, he wasn't my favorite player so my love for him isn't what you think it is. Where I have been going with this time and again is many here feel that what was reported was 100% the truth. Again people are pissed cause he asked to be let go after the first game so what the guy is a gamer. I will say this how come it took week 15 for all this to come out, again I will say this if JH was so bad something would have came out sooner. I don't buy it I think Tomlin is an ass in this whole situation and NOTHING is gonna make me feel any different.

I hate it when everything comes back to JH, well it take 2 to tango. Everyone can believe what they want to I believe is a$$wipe Tomlin would have played him a few handful of time #1 he would retire a Steeler and #2 this stupid thread wouldn't be going one saying the say stuff from the same people. lol!

:beathorse::beathorse::beathorse::beathorse::beathorse::beathorse::frustrated::frustrated::frustrated:

18. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

PS......

LAST WORD:laughing::laughing::laughing::hardrock::hardrock::hardrock::beee::beee::beee::beee::beee:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  19. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Well if they were going to get rid of him, they'd have done it by now.
    Teams with new coaches are assembling their staffs, other teams are filling coaching vacancies. If the Steelers didn't want Porter, they should have fired him right after the season, so he'd have a chance to get a job somewhere else. It would be the only fair and professional thing to do.
    Since they didn't fire by now, it's pretty clear they're not going to. And by that, I am inferring that they are not dissatisfied with Porters job performance.
    However, Why they have come to that conclusion is baffling to me.

20. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Its been said many times but I think the Steelers blew it when Kevin Greene was available. Bud was a very raw player coming out with great athletic ability. Porter is probably the worst person to reach that potential.

But as TDFW said, its probably more scheme than what position coaches are doing.

• Agree Agree x 3
  21. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Let me preface what I'm about to say with this disclaimer. I'm not an All 22 guy. I don't watch coach's film. I don't study every play of every game, running it forward and backward to understand the nuance of every single play. But I do consider myself a fairly knowledgeable football fan. I think I can recognize pretty good technique when I see it. Based on my observations of the last several years, I haven't seen, what I consider to be, fundamentally sound technique from our DBs or our OLBs. In fact, I've seen quite the opposite. Our young DBs don't seem to develop. The self-proclaimed leader (only because he has the biggest mouth) in that secondary is Mike Mitchell. Is he a technique guy? He's a "lay the wood" kind of guy who's constantly going for the big hit. Our DBs don't seem to have great ball skills. When the ball is in the air, they look clueless at times. I'm not sure they know that they have as much right to the ball as the receiver does. Some of it's scheme, I'll give you that. When a receiver is running 10-15 yards wide open that's probably a breakdown in zone scheme. That is college open. Shoot, that is high school open!

Now onto our linebackers. When was the last time you saw Dupree or TJ Watt or another one of our OLBs win a one on one battle with the OT? Normally, when we sack the quarterback it's because the right blitz has been dialed up and we have a clear path to the quarterback. It's not because of a great swim move, a spin move, going underneath and beating your guy. It seems like they only know one move, the bullrush, and unless you're James Harrison strong that ain't working against most tackles. How many times do we see our guys get pushed around the pocket and into the next zip code because they've tried a bullrush and the tackles led them toward the endzone. Sometimes, once the tackle disengages, the linebacker is able to sack the quarterback from the backside but that's typically a coverage sack.

I don't think Porter puts that much effort into mastering his trade. I just think his mindset is since he was a once great linebacker for the Steelers, his mere presence will rub off on the young guys. Tomlin needs to show the courage to make a change now, in spite of his personal relationship with Porter. Porter is a weak link that needs to move on to his next chapter.

22. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Ladies and gentlemen, YOUR Pittsburgh Steelers OLB coach. THE guy entrusted to develop our young OLB crew into true professionals, on and off the field! :facepalm:

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  23. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I would make my linebackers take PEDS like Harrison and lift those weights lol. We need some steroid beasts to make lineman on sleds. INstead we get these types

CF465FB3-5A17-40C1-BF16-53C4A6C14807.jpeg

24. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    5ECB65D6-8C1B-42F5-823A-F23EBA89CD04.jpeg Then again I’m built like this guy but he was a beast lol

25. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    No. If for no other reason, to put this "WHO RIDE?" nonsense to bed.